The Columbus Crew

dcducks1

Hi LV8n!  Yes, we CAN...  I'm so sorry to hear how lousy you're feeling and sure hope that a month from now you're feeling a lot better. 

(My naturopathic doctor started me on bioidentical hormones...they've made a huge difference for me.)

I just read in "It Starts With Food" that I should not be eating eggs or nuts because I have this autoimmune disease.  Are you cutting those out? 

Hi, Pickle -- I've been reading about thyroid disease and AIP, but I didn't feel ready to give up everything at once, so I'm still keeping eggs and nuts on my legal list for this Whole30. Sugar and simple carbs have been my big nemesis lately, so that's my primary motivation for this Whole30, but I'm hoping to eventually transition to the AIP to see how I'll feel. I've been reading a bit about it, and I think I'm going to get Mickey Trexler's "The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook" to start integrating some AIP meals into my rotation & get myself mentally prepared to take those next steps when I feel ready. Also, she references the work of a doctor named Datis Kharrazian, who's apparently at the forefront of non-pharmaceutical interventions for chronic illnesses, and autoimmune and neurological disorders. I have both thyroid disease and osteoporosis and have been convinced (since I was diagnosed) that they are connected. Based on the little bit I've read of Dr. Kharrazian's work, it seems he agrees. So... I'm definitely interested in pursuing it further. Just taking baby steps for now, though... How about you???

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All - it appears the door hasn't stopped opening and closing since this morning. Glad so many people have decided to join the group. Please keep us all posted on how you are doing. Remember, it's ok to tell us that your stomach is growling or you are irritable or sleepy. Just stick to it, listen to the advice given to you, and keep your eye on the prize.

Spent most of the day at my wife's grandfather's funeral. He was 101 and lived alone until two weeks ago when he fell and had a stroke. He went fast and was quick to admit that he was ready to go. He had outlived all of his siblings, two wives, and most of his friends. He was healthy to the end and golfed into his early nineties. I'm sure he was on a strict W30 diet.............

Dave

The only problem with not having a fridge is the cooking. I normally do not mind cooking but even tho it is day 1 for me I am suffering from headaches and tiredness. Did the weight and measurements and nearly cried! Gained 10 pounds in 2 months with hospital and fast food. But, I am doing this.

Meal one was sweet potato, chopped kale and homemade apple sausage with 2 eggs scrambled. ( coconut oil is not my favorite but it is all I had. Picked up some butter and I am currently making ghee in a crockpot) (kale was tough and not that great. Will see if the ghee makes a difference)

Meal 2 BAS lettuce, tomatoes, onions, garlic, apples, 2 eggs, with a olive oil and guac dressing. (only way i can stomach avacados)

Meal 3 is Same as meal one but with spinach instead of kale.

Please give me any ideas for meals that include a fat. Im not a fan of olives and do like coconut butter. just not sure if the coconut butter isnt swypo?

Jonica, for fat I li to drizzle my warm veggies or starchy carbs with olive oil. Or eat avocado with my meal. Oh and just saw you don't like avocado... a side of guacamole goes nice with lots of foods too though and is easy to make.

QUESTION - anyone else in here currently breastfeeding? I think it's going to be a challenge for me to eat 4 meals a day as recommended! Especially since sometimes I sleep in with baby (after being up during the night to nurse) and then am out and about all day. One of the reasons I'm doing Whole 30 is I have been skipping lunch the snacking at night, which is a bad habit I know.

It's wonderful to see how many have joined this group. Lots of support and encouragement for all. I had a good day. Like Nancy, I just finished my first W30 September 30 and I have a well stocked freezer of foods I did on my cook ups. Just makes it easier for those nights I don't feel like cooking.

I had an hour of water aerobics and another hour of yoga today. Tomorrow will be water aerobics and strength training. I'd like to remind all those who are just doing cardio that strength training is necessary to keep muscle and lose fat. It takes more calories to surrport a pound of muscle than a pound of fat, so you can eat more if you are more muscular. You don't have to go to a gym. You can get exercise bands for less than $10 a set at Walmart or Target or even use cans of food or bottles of water as weights. Plenty of free routines on the internet.

This is day 1 and we've already got 6 pages - WOW!

Hey, all -- just checking in to see how everyone fared today.

Dave -- so sorry to hear about your grandfather. From your description, he sounds like he was quite a force with which to be reckoned. We should all live such full & active-until-the-end kind of lives. Blessings upon him, and upon you & your family.

My shop/cook day got co-opted yesterday, so I shifted it to today & now have bone broth simmering in the crockpot (base for chicken soup with onion, kale & sweet potato) and Well Fed Fav Chili cooling down on the stove. I was quite surprised & disappointed to find that the grocery stores in my parents' neighborhood (suburban Phila.) do not carry ghee or coconut aminos. :( My grocery store back home in a small, northern New England town carries them. Does anyone happen to know if Trader Joe's and/or Whole Foods regularly stocks these items?

My day was long, tiring & food simple, but it was Whole30 compliant. Hallelujiah. And no family members were harmed. ;-)

Day 01 B: organic scrambled eggs topped with 1/2 diced avocado; s&p; decaf green tea
Day 01 L: One large organic carrot; 1/2 dozen chunks of fresh pineapple (got too busy with shopping & cooking)

Day 01 D: Well Fed Fav Chili on a bed of romaine with 1/2 diced avocado -- *yum*

This is the time of day when I'm most at risk of getting into stuff I shouldn't, so I'm heading upstairs to flop and watch a movie. I hope everyone got off to a good start today.

All - it appears the door hasn't stopped opening and closing since this morning. Glad so many people have decided to join the group. Please keep us all posted on how you are doing. Remember, it's ok to tell us that your stomach is growling or you are irritable or sleepy. Just stick to it, listen to the advice given to you, and keep your eye on the prize.

Spent most of the day at my wife's grandfather's funeral. He was 101 and lived alone until two weeks ago when he fell and had a stroke. He went fast and was quick to admit that he was ready to go. He had outlived all of his siblings, two wives, and most of his friends. He was healthy to the end and golfed into his early nineties. I'm sure he was on a strict W30 diet.............

Dave

Condolences on the loss of your grandfather-in-law. It sounds like he had a life well lived and was an example to all of you. It is so difficult to say good-bye but may be easier to let him go knowing he felt this journey was complete and he was ready to start the next one. Take care of yourselves.

Hello

Going well today. I have been wondering if I am eating too much and have backed off a bit, not hungry so that means I am eating enough. 

I am wondering about taking some supplements specifically: artichoke extract and dandelion root extract. Does anyone know if these are compliant? I can't find anything on the label that seems suspicious except: modified cellulose gum, which I assume is the capsule.

Sounds like everyone is off and running--some literally. I have done some stretching today and will do more before the days end, as well as walking and biking. All of this sounds like a lot but am only doing small amounts frequently--that does a couple things: gets me away from the computer for a bit and builds up exercise throughout the day. For today it is working. :)

Jonica -- I know you're not thrilled about avocados, but I make a quick & dirty guacamole with mashed avocado, lemon juice, onion powder & salt. Mix it all together until smooth -- makes a great dip for raw veggies and flax seed crackers and can also be spread on burgers, eggs, etc. You can vary the amount of lemon juice & onion powder to your liking. Also -- can you eat nuts and seeds? I throw them into my veggie dishes all the time -- for example: sauteed kale with roasted hazelnuts & pomegranate seeds, roasted beets w/walnuts, steamed string beans w/olive oil, ume plum vinegar, and slivered almonds, etc. Also nut/seed butters and/or coconut milk (in sauces or mixed into pureed winter squash) are other ways to get some fat in. Hope that's some help!

The only problem with not having a fridge is the cooking. I normally do not mind cooking but even tho it is day 1 for me I am suffering from headaches and tiredness. Did the weight and measurements and nearly cried! Gained 10 pounds in 2 months with hospital and fast food. But, I am doing this.

Meal one was sweet potato, chopped kale and homemade apple sausage with 2 eggs scrambled. ( coconut oil is not my favorite but it is all I had. Picked up some butter and I am currently making ghee in a crockpot) (kale was tough and not that great. Will see if the ghee makes a difference)

Meal 2 BAS lettuce, tomatoes, onions, garlic, apples, 2 eggs, with a olive oil and guac dressing. (only way i can stomach avacados)

Meal 3 is Same as meal one but with spinach instead of kale.

Please give me any ideas for meals that include a fat. Im not a fan of olives and do like coconut butter. just not sure if the coconut butter isnt swypo?

I can relate to the weighing and measuring and I did cry, not down as much as I hoped or felt I was. Never mind it is only a number and you won't take long to be in the swing of things.

How do you make ghee in a crock pot? I have tried different ways on the stove and it is such a pain. Looks easy, sounds easy and I don't get it right. It is one of those things that is a gamble each time, a crock pot might just be the answer.

Jonica -- I know you're not thrilled about avocados, but I make a quick & dirty guacamole with mashed avocado, lemon juice, onion powder & salt. Mix it all together until smooth -- makes a great dip for raw veggies and flax seed crackers and can also be spread on burgers, eggs, etc. You can vary the amount of lemon juice & onion powder to your liking. Also -- can you eat nuts and seeds? I throw them into my veggie dishes all the time -- for example: sauteed kale with roasted hazelnuts & pomegranate seeds, roasted beets w/walnuts, steamed string beans w/olive oil, ume plum vinegar, and slivered almonds, etc. Also nut/seed butters and/or coconut milk (in sauces or mixed into pureed winter squash) are other ways to get some fat in. Hope that's some help!

Oh I love nuts and seeds! And that guac sounds great! Thanks!

I can relate to the weighing and measuring and I did cry, not down as much as I hoped or felt I was. Never mind it is only a number and you won't take long to be in the swing of things.

How do you make ghee in a crock pot? I have tried different ways on the stove and it is such a pain. Looks easy, sounds easy and I don't get it right. It is one of those things that is a gamble each time, a crock pot might just be the answer.

http://www.primallyinspired.com/ghee-in-the-crockpot/ That is the recipe I have used for a few months. I stock up on grass fed butter from my farmer and melt it into ghee. I already know dairy is not my friend so ghee really helps in cooking and in seasoning of items. I keep a small jar for my daughter as she will eat it on her breakfast plate. We also eat a spoon or two of coconut butter daily. I make that too.

Hi all. Looks like I will be a day behind you. I went out to dinner tonight with a plan. And when I started gabbing with friends I only see every 3 months, I started on auto-pilot and was eating a buttered roll before I knew it. I haven't had bread of any kind since before I started my first 30 on Sept 1.  :( This is why I'm doing another W30 right away - because my head needs some work. So if you guys are the Nina and the Pinta, I'll be the Santa Maria bringing up the rear!!!

Dave, condolences on your loss.

I'm a little ahead on the timeline, so I will be very sympathetic this first week, speak quietly, no sudden movements or loud noises, and I promise you, NO LOUD CHEWING! :D  Seriously, I am glad to see so many people in here already sharing and caring.  It makes life so much easier to have a good support system.  After everyone gets through "misery loves company" it will be "the more, the merrier."  And I am loving the food tips that come across.  I've already had a couple moments of "I never thought of that!" to help me think outside of the diet box.  I'm changing my life here, not dieting. :)

I had a successful day today.  I started off sleep deprived (my own fault, stayed up editing pictures last night), but made the day compliant and did get my exercise in.  It was not until I was doing my log tonight that it occurred to me that I have completed an entire day while sleepy and not only was I able to stay even tempered (that's big-I'm usually a bear when I'm tired) and complete my exercise goal, I didn't have any cravings.  Not. One. Craving.  I am astonished.  I can usually hear the tortilla chips and chocolate calling my name from 3 aisles over when I haven't slept well.

Lv8nTheVibe- I'm doing the straight up Whole 30- was happy to be talked out of the AIP for now.  I love hearing about the other AIP resources you've found...

Dave- Your grandfather's funeral does seem like a celebration of a life-well lived.  Thank you for heading up our thread here...  it's really helping to know we've got a crew.

I spent the morning at some grocery stores and the rest of the day cooking.  I work 12 hour shifts the next 4 days, so everything has to be done a head.  I probably won't be checking in till Saturday.  I was full today and am pretty sure I ate too much.  I have a feeling that I'll get a better gauge as I get more used to it. 

B- chicken, onion, zucchini, mushroom curry (coconut milk) and 1/2 apple

L-romaine lettuce, chicken, cucumber, pepper, avocado, 8 cashews with dressing (olive oil, white wine vinegar, lemon juice), 1/2 banana

1/2 of a coconut water

D- part of a grilled beef burger with steamed broccoli and collard greens, dollop of homemade mayo (it turned out so good!)

One day in!  Great job everybody!

Lv8nTheVibe- I'm doing the straight up Whole 30- was happy to be talked out of the AIP for now.  I love hearing about the other AIP resources you've found...

Dave- Your grandfather's funeral does seem like a celebration of a life-well lived.  Thank you for heading up our thread here...  it's really helping to know we've got a crew.

I spent the morning at some grocery stores and the rest of the day cooking.  I work 12 hour shifts the next 4 days, so everything has to be done a head.  I probably won't be checking in till Saturday.  I was full today and am pretty sure I ate too much.  I have a feeling that I'll get a better gauge as I get more used to it. 

B- chicken, onion, zucchini, mushroom curry (coconut milk) and 1/2 apple

L-romaine lettuce, chicken, cucumber, pepper, avocado, 8 cashews with dressing (olive oil, white wine vinegar, lemon juice), 1/2 banana

1/2 of a coconut water

D- part of a grilled beef burger with steamed broccoli and collard greens, dollop of homemade mayo (it turned out so good!)

One day in!  Great job everybody!

Wow, I would not be full on that much food [blush]. But we all have different bodies. Good thing for your ninja prep skills, 12 hour shifts are no joke.

http://www.primallyinspired.com/ghee-in-the-crockpot/ That is the recipe I have used for a few months. I stock up on grass fed butter from my farmer and melt it into ghee. I already know dairy is not my friend so ghee really helps in cooking and in seasoning of items. I keep a small jar for my daughter as she will eat it on her breakfast plate. We also eat a spoon or two of coconut butter daily. I make that too.

Thanks for this link. I will try it. I have found a source of Ghee but would actually prefer to make it if I can. Also, how do you make coconut butter? I have my husband eating coconut oil, and occasionally Ghee but I think he needs more fat so will have a go at that as well. 

Many thanks.

Just a reminder that any type of crackers or baked goods (even made from compliant foods) are out during your Whole30

well one day down! yesterday seemed to go without any hitches

Meal 1: Spinach Frittata, peach and coffee with coconut oil

Meal 2: Protein salad (made with half an avacado) with spinach and kale, banana

I had to have an apple around 3pm but ive made todays meal two bigger to see me through until meal 3

Meal 3: Chili with sweet potato and butternut squash made with olive oil

I went to the gym so i had a smaller version of meal 3 when i came home!

If anyone thinks there are ways to imporve the above combinations please feel free to give advice :) :)

Despite me being a total sugar addict what i really craved last night was a packet of crisps - luckily my one year old decided he wanted to party until 1030pm and i was distracted enough to forget about it!

Hope everyone has a good day today!!

well one day down! yesterday seemed to go without any hitches

Meal 1: Spinach Frittata, peach and coffee with coconut oil

Meal 2: Protein salad (made with half an avacado) with spinach and kale, banana

I had to have an apple around 3pm but ive made todays meal two bigger to see me through until meal 3

Meal 3: Chili with sweet potato and butternut squash made with olive oil

I went to the gym so i had a smaller version of meal 3 when i came home!

If anyone thinks there are ways to imporve the above combinations please feel free to give advice :) :)

Despite me being a total sugar addict what i really craved last night was a packet of crisps - luckily my one year old decided he wanted to party until 1030pm and i was distracted enough to forget about it!

Hope everyone has a good day today!!

If you truly are a sugar addict then try to keep your fruit to a minimum, and avoid using fruit on it's own to tide you over - opt for protein & fat instead - this will also help with any cravings.

Your meal three looks light on fat to me, although certainly postWO you want to avoid consuming fat as it will slow down absorption of valuable nutrients to your muscles. I'd up the fat in meal three & exclude it completely postWO.

Make sure there are enough eggs in a serving of your frittata - a serving of eggs when they are your only protein source in a meal would be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most females. If that frittata is for 4 days there should be at least 12 eggs in there... Also, having adequate protein at breakfast will help negate the need for that mid-afternoon snack.

Keep it up!

If you truly are a sugar addict then try to keep your fruit to a minimum, and avoid using fruit on it's own to tide you over - opt for protein & fat instead - this will also help with any cravings.

Your meal three looks light on fat to me, although certainly postWO you want to avoid consuming fat as it will slow down absorption of valuable nutrients to your muscles. I'd up the fat in meal three & exclude it completely postWO.

Make sure there are enough eggs in a serving of your frittata - a serving of eggs when they are your only protein source in a meal would be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most females. If that frittata is for 4 days there should be at least 12 eggs in there... Also, having adequate protein at breakfast will help negate the need for that mid-afternoon snack.

Keep it up!

thank you for your help. the fritttata had 3 eggs :) i am struggling with the fat, but working on it. I added the coconut out to my morning coffee to try and up the fat intake - perhaps some added nuts to my protein salad would help??

I am having chicken curry made with coconut milk as meal three today- does the coconut milk count as my portion of fat for that meal or should i add some extra??

thanks for the advice re fruit - i used to have 5-6 portions a day - i will try and ditch that apple!!

C

thank you for your help. the fritttata had 3 eggs :) i am struggling with the fat, but working on it. I added the coconut out to my morning coffee to try and up the fat intake - perhaps some added nuts to my protein salad would help??

I am having chicken curry made with coconut milk as meal three today- does the coconut milk count as my portion of fat for that meal or should i add some extra??

thanks for the advice re fruit - i used to have 5-6 portions a day - i will try and ditch that apple!!

C

Nuts are an *okay* source of fat - just don't rely on them too heavily as they are notoriously hard on the digestive system, and can be a FWOB for a lot of people. A closed handful in a salad would be fine every few days.

Your meal three this evening should be fine for fat, although to be honest adding more wouldn't do any harm - fat is your friend here  ;)

Other good sources of fat would be home-made mayo (quick, easy, very tasty & a good base for making other sauces - try this recipe if you haven't got one already), ghee, coconut oil/milk/cream/meat/flakes, avocado & avocado oil, nut oils (again to be used in moderation), compliant bacon, fatty cuts of meat (shin/brisket etc), tallow, lard, schmaltz etc.

Don't skimp on the fat - not only do you need it for brain health, without it you will lack energy.

Also, re the fruit - if you do choose to eat fruit, many people report better results when they keep it for meals 2 or 3 as it can mess with blood sugar (& therefore hunger signals & energy levels) when eaten at meal 1 having fasted overnight.

Hope this helps.

Archived