The Columbus Crew

dcducks1

Thanks for this link. I will try it. I have found a source of Ghee but would actually prefer to make it if I can. Also, how do you make coconut butter? I have my husband eating coconut oil, and occasionally Ghee but I think he needs more fat so will have a go at that as well. 

Many thanks.

I use my ninja blender and it takes about 15 minutes. I turn it on and off. http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/11/17/coconut-butter-from-scratch/ I also use the cocnut oil to help it along. So even if you do not have a vitamix. It can be done. Takes a bit more time or elbow grease

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this is my first W30 and Im on my third day...I have always paid attention to the quality of my food and am fairly healthy so I breezed thru the first two days...today though, after breakfast of last nights leftovers, chicken/peppers/onions sauted in coconut oil, roasted asparagus in olive oil, roasted sweet potato slices, and black coffee...I feel weak and nauseous...  I guess its my body craving cereals! 

The reason Im doing W30 is because after taking a hard look at my health for the previous year, I realized that I have battled various bouts of inflammation that are not due to acute injury or chronic overuse...swollen, painful knuckles in left hand (not arthritis, confirmed by ortho), runner's knee, upper back problems (seeing PT currently), etc.  My hope is that by following W30 that I will notice a reduction in inflammation symptoms and that I can identify my triggers for inflammation and lead a pain free lifestyle!

I appreciate all your stories and get inspiration from each of you!

Hi everyone. I am doing my second whole 30 with you all. I started my first in July and accomplished my first actual 30 in September. So I hope you don't mind if I tag along. 

After my first actual complete whole30 I did not stray far. I ate some bacon in a diner which was cured with sugar I'm sure, and had some unsweetened frozen banana "ice cream."I made some paleo rolls, but was not impressed with my own baking skills. haha so I will not need to try that  again for a while.

The upshot is that I have not had any desire to go back to my old ways apart from the occassional whiff of bread here and there but I can handle it. 

My cholesterol and blood sugar numbers have improved  and I am no longer obese. I have lost 15 % of my body weight and the inflammation on my knees and foot which had me on disability for two years is gone. 

So if you doubt this is life changing, give it a whirl! ~ It has been for me. For me it took more than one 30 day trial since I am 58 and had been eating whatever I wanted for twenty years. But hey. its working!

Hi all! I'm Caleigh. Yesterday I started my FIRST Whole30. AH! So exciting... and intimidating... and I'm looking forward to it (kinda). I still feel like I'm walking through a room with the lights off but I'm taking it step by step. I'm trying to make it simple this week. I got a few food items/meals that I know to be compliant and will stick with just those things until I can prep and research more then I can get more creative and learn more recipes.

So far the book has been totally accurate. Yesterday I felt like it was pretty "easy" so we'll see how I progress!

Hi everyone...

I am jumping on board. I planned to start on Oct 1st ...but...anyways, I'm back...

No more excuses to take good care of me.

Also umping back on the mat resuming my martial art training should help (mentally as well).

This is my second time doing the Whole30!

Cheers

Laura

- anyone else in here currently breastfeeding? I think it's going to be a challenge for me to eat 4 meals a day as recommended! Especially since sometimes I sleep in with baby (after being up during the night to nurse) and then am out and about all day. One of the reasons I'm doing Whole 30 is I have been skipping lunch the snacking at night, which is a bad habit I know.

Hi Natalie Im breastfeeding too, I have 4 months old baby and Im also having a hard time eating enough food

Other good sources of fat would be home-made mayo (quick, easy, very tasty & a good base for making other sauces - try this recipe if you haven't got one already), ghee, coconut oil/milk/cream/meat/flakes, avocado & avocado oil, nut oils (again to be used in moderation), compliant bacon, fatty cuts of meat (shin/brisket etc), tallow, lard, schmaltz etc.

Don't skimp on the fat - not only do you need it for brain health, without it you will lack energy.

Also, re the fruit - if you do choose to eat fruit, many people report better results when they keep it for meals 2 or 3 as it can mess with blood sugar (& therefore hunger signals & energy levels) when eaten at meal 1 having fasted overnight.

Hope this helps.

jmcbn thak you for the fat tips and link 

Just a reminder that any type of crackers or baked goods (even made from compliant foods) are out during your Whole30

The crackers I was referencing are made from flaxseeds soaked in water with herbs (rosemary, onion powder, etc.) That's it. These are not compliant?

Hi everybody,

I started yesterday, so I am happy I found this group!  I did a similiar meal plan to the Whole30 two years ago and lost 30 pounds. I am sorry (mad, frustrated, ashamed) to say I have gained it all back. UGH! So, I know this way of eating works for me, when I can stick to it. Sugar is my enemy! 

Yesterday I had:

B- two eggs, bell pepper, and coffee with cocount cream

L - Turkey breast, carrots (I think I'm missing fat here)

pre-wo snack - handful of olives, another slice of turkey - went to spin class

dinner - spareribs, salad w/veggies and 1/2 avocado plus Tessamae dressing

I hope everyone has a good day!

The crackers I was referencing are made from flaxseeds soaked in water with herbs (rosemary, onion powder, etc.) That's it. These are not compliant?

Correct.  No crackers, breads, etc. even from compliant ingredients. This is explicitly called out in the rules: "Do not try to re-create baked goods, junk foods, or treats* with “approved” ingredients." - See more at: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/#sthash.CYmQGogI.dpuf

I am feeling so sleepy (just due to late bedtimes and early wake ups-- I'm working on it) and I keep thinking I need a snack.  I am fighting the urge!  I think I will take my food out to my car and get another cup of tea.  That should wake me a little and make it harder to give in.  Funny-- I'm not even tempted by all of the candy hanging around the office!

Hello Crew! This is my first Whole30. I started yesterday and am a little apprehensive about mainly two things: 1) eating so much meat and 2) not getting to drink wine. That said, day one was great. I made some mayo (YUM) and a basic vinaigrette and spent an hour in the grocery store shopping for compliant foods. I weighed in on Sunday, but didn't think to take any measurements. 

I think I stayed on course with my meals: 

B- two eggs + compliant sausage and half a pear. Black coffee (whoa. talk about eye opening.) 

L - chicken salad with mayo, mustard, walnuts, a few green grapes, jicama, green onion, olives and a boiled egg 

D - grilled burger with portabello, grilled veggies (broccoli, onion, yellow, orange and red bell peppers, garlic), salad with basic vinaigrette. 

Only known hiccup: It took me so long to get my lunch prepared that I ate a heaping teaspoon of almond butter to tide me over. 

So far, so good, but I'm thankful for the companionship. I can already see that this journey requires being very present and accounted for. 

Ok, for those that had a rough day one.....stop it! I'm running out of straggling boats. Get solid with your mind and routine. Yesterday got us 1/30th the way to the New World. If that sounds bad, today will have us at the 1/15th Mark......that sounds much better.

"When you start doubting yourself, remember how far you have come. Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won and all the fears you have overcome"

Stay strong,

Dave

Hello Crew! This is my first Whole30. I started yesterday and am a little apprehensive about mainly two things: 1) eating so much meat and 2) not getting to drink wine. That said, day one was great. I made some mayo (YUM) and a basic vinaigrette and spent an hour in the grocery store shopping for compliant foods. I weighed in on Sunday, but didn't think to take any measurements. 

I think I stayed on course with my meals: 

B- two eggs + compliant sausage and half a pear. Black coffee (whoa. talk about eye opening.) 

L - chicken salad with mayo, mustard, walnuts, a few green grapes, jicama, green onion, olives and a boiled egg 

D - grilled burger with portabello, grilled veggies (broccoli, onion, yellow, orange and red bell peppers, garlic), salad with basic vinaigrette. 

Only known hiccup: It took me so long to get my lunch prepared that I ate a heaping teaspoon of almond butter to tide me over. 

You might want to make your meal 1 a bit bigger, to avoid the need of a snack in between meals.  The recommended meal template calls for 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and a compliant fat at every meal.  Your breakfast was missing veggies and maybe a fat (unclear whether you had a cooking fat in there): don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate.

For those of you who are new and struggling with the cooking, look at the Well Fed website and her weekly cookup for how to prepare food for a week in a few hours. It's not set menus, but gives you suggestions for combining into meals. Her recipes are also excellent. http://meljoulwan.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/Her chocolate chili is so good!

My meal1 today was tuna salad and a bowl of cauliflower soup. Different but so good.

We can all do this and finish the entire Whole30 together. It does take some determination, especially at the beginning, but when you start seeing the benefits, you'll be so glad you are doing it.

Welcome to Marthab and Laura....welcome home!

Carleigh, barnerfarm, Chill, and KSByer - you've found the right team.  Just keep asking your questions and reading the program rules....you can't follow them too closely.

Have a routine for food prep that makes it easy.  For example, even though I have plenty of compliant food in the fridge, I realized this morning that it would be a lot better if I just packed up my lunch and breakfast the night before, so I don't have to fit it in to an already packed morning.  I am usually walking dogs for at least an hour and a half, feeding them, showering, and getting ready for work, PLUS fitting in a pre and post WO feeding before and after the walks.  That is a lot of activity in the am - imagine if I had kids!!!

well, I do have a hubs who occasionally also likes me to speak to him in the morning as well.

I am setting two goals concurrent with this W30 - to get in 10K steps a day and to listen to music more often.  Time to feel happy, healthy, and empowered!

Thanks GFChris. I added veggies to my breakfast this morning and will do so from now on-- that takes some getting used to. I have been a morning veggie juicer for years now so eating breakfast veggies (and meat!) seems foreign, but I know I can do this. On my way to the market now for more vegetables!  

Hi everybody,

I started yesterday, so I am happy I found this group!  I did a similiar meal plan to the Whole30 two years ago and lost 30 pounds. I am sorry (mad, frustrated, ashamed) to say I have gained it all back. UGH! So, I know this way of eating works for me, when I can stick to it. Sugar is my enemy! 

Yesterday I had:

B- two eggs, bell pepper, and coffee with cocount cream

L - Turkey breast, carrots (I think I'm missing fat here)

pre-wo snack - handful of olives, another slice of turkey - went to spin class

dinner - spareribs, salad w/veggies and 1/2 avocado plus Tessamae dressing

I hope everyone has a good day!

Add another egg (or some other protein) to your breakfast along with some more veg, and a helping of fat to your lunch,  and tomorrow you're good to go... 

Remember, fat is your friend - particularly when you're active  ;)

Well i've had a crap few days, my dads cat was taken ill 3 days ago and she passed away this morning, i've managed to stick to the diet but i'm feeling miserable and uninspired ;( no intention of quitting though :)

So what nice meals has everyone had in the last couple days?

Dave

Archived