The Columbus Crew

dcducks1

So we're not allowed to have fruit smoothies, so how much fruit are people having? It seemed a bit confusing to me that fruit is fine but blending it isn't...

Blending isn't okay because liquid food leaves you feeling less satiated than solid food as it is the act of chewing that kick starts the digestive process. Also, smoothies tend to be fruit heavy and can cause spikes in blood sugar when we are working at stabilizing it.

The recommendation is for two pieces of fruit per day, with or as part of a meal, although many people chose to not bother - especially if they are battling a sugar dragon as it can keep the cravings alive.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Crew,

Yesterday (day 1) was challenging in the sense of settling in to the journey--for me, not snacking (salty or sweet) at night and no wine--are the biggest psychological adjustment. Despite the challenge, though, I am excited about the beautiful food I am eating for a beautiful healthy me (especially a strong, happy heart).

So far today, I have had:

Meal one: leftover beef, onions/peppers/mushrooms, broiled tomato, roasted carrots, coffee with coconut milk.

Meal two: Prosciutto ham (compliant), cold half a sweet potato, broiled tomatoes, green peppers and onions.

I am making mayo today, and looking forward to Meal 3: a yummy roast chicken with baked lemons and onions, potato hash from leftover baked potato, yellow squash.

Tomorrow I will make leftover chicken salad with homemade mayo for Meal 2. I think I d r and enough water yesterday, and working on it today.

I am currently working on my third young children's book, starring two cousins. It's great to start a new project, but I always feel (irrationally) that I can't do it. The blank page doesn't stare me down any more-the laptop monitor has taken over. Yikes! I can do it!

Ok, for those that had a rough day one.....stop it! I'm running out of straggling boats. Get solid with your mind and routine. Yesterday got us 1/30th the way to the New World. If that sounds bad, today will have us at the 1/15th Mark......that sounds much better.

"When you start doubting yourself, remember how far you have come. Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won and all the fears you have overcome"

Stay strong,

Dave

We're all on board and there will be no Crew member left behind!

So we're not allowed to have fruit smoothies, so how much fruit are people having? It seemed a bit confusing to me that fruit is fine but blending it isn't...

I've always been a big fruit eater, but I've been having about 1 piece a day or less. The vegetables seem to taste better for now, and I think my blood sugar is better off without the fruit. Just remember to eat it as part of a meal when you do have it.

I'm glad to see some more familiar faces here! My Day One (today) has been great. I haven't eaten M3 yet, but I know what I'm having and can toss it together in a couple of minutes. 

M1 - Sweet potato sheperds pie (Whole30 cookbook) - this was the best thing I've had since I started my first W30!!! I'll be making it regularly.

M2 - Ground turkey breast w/ Frank's hot sauce & clarified butter over mashed cauliflower with some guac on top

M3 - Large salad with chicken, veggies, walnuts, avocado oil & vinegar dressing

Work was tough today. Besides being crazy-busy, there was a ton of food in the kitchen. I ate none of it! I'm on track and staying that way.

Almost through day 2 and doing pretty good. The toughest part yet was having a great steak for dinner but skipping the wine!  So that I don't have to even think about what to have for breakfast I make a big skillet of sweet potato hash - pork sausage (whole30 compliant), sweet potatoes cubed up and a large onion.  If you like cinnamon a good sprinkle of that is delicious too. I just portion it out into pint size jars so that I can just grab one for breakfast and not even have to think about it.  Good luck to everyone.

Two recipes (or maybe 1 recipe and 1 set of instructions) straight out of The Whole 30 that were a big hit at our table (husband and self): First, Melissa's Chicken Hash. We give it 5 stars on a scale of 1 - 4. And it reheats well. Second, eggplant buns. My ethnic roots are deeply Eastern European, so eggplant and I have never been on a first-name basis. I roasted slices per instructions and have used them as the base for pulled beef (left-over braised brisket) in Whole30 BBQ sauce and as the base for a basic Italian meat sauce. Terrific!

Nancy, so glad you are with us...even with a one day delay...yes, I had the same thing at work today. Marzipan sweets brought back from Paris, and a person brought in home made banana pudding with home made vanilla wafers....I.just.stayed.away.

I made my first batch of NomNom Kailua pork tonight...two questions: what does anyone do with the slabs of pork fat that came off the meat after it was cooked? And, is there any way to repurpose the liquids from the slow cooker? I cooked some cabbage in it, but it is a bit greasy. Any ideas?

I don't have a recipe per se for the sweet potato hash.  I cook 1 to 1 1/4 pounds of ground sausage in skillet until done then add in 3 medium sweet potatoes that have been peeled and cubed along with 1 large onion that has been diced - add salt and pepper to taste and cook until sweet potatoes are barely soft; then add cinnamon if you want.  This is also very good to use some sweet potatoes and some diced apples too.  Hope this is helpful.

I made my first batch of NomNom Kailua pork tonight...two questions: what does anyone do with the slabs of pork fat that came off the meat after it was cooked? And, is there any way to repurpose the liquids from the slow cooker? I cooked some cabbage in it, but it is a bit greasy. Any ideas?

If you put the liquids from the slow cooker in the fridge, the fat will solidify on the top and you can easily take if off.

Thanks, bpaitsel! Love the combo.

I am in Cville, by the way.

Denise, welcome back! And Acha, I know the story about wine...although I quit it a number of weeks ago when I first started to try to re-engage in whole 30. Have gotten to the point I don't miss it and definitely feel better without it...BUT, can't quite imagine totally giving it up forever

I am tired today, but hanging in there.  My own fault, had two glasses of ice tea when we went out to dinner last night and then couldn't get to sleep until late.  Still got in my exercise today and stayed compliant on foods, but overdid it on the fruit.  Glad to see everyone coming along. :) 

Hi, All.

Thanks for the heads up on the flax crackers. They take forEVER to bake (it's more of a dehydration process), so I'm glad to have a reason not to make them.

Recipes I've made so far: Melissa Joulwan's Favorite Chili (served over an ample bed of shredded romaine & topped with avocado), and her Old Style Italian Meat Sauce (skipped the meatballs--felt like meat overload) served over roasted spaghetti squash. Also made some chicken bone broth (which may become chicken soup with sweet potato, kale & onion). Breakfasts so far have been scrambled eggs with avocado and a great spicy salsa I stumbled upon that has nothing in it but fresh veggies & spices--praise! Fresh, compliant salsa. God is good.

Need to ramp up water & veggie consumption -- hitting the store tomorrow to get plenty of salad veggies and raws (carrots, celery, cuke, peppers, etc.)

Feeling pretty cranky, stressed & tired. I've seen some testimonials from folks who talk about the dramatic weight loss and incredible increase in energy they experience after several weeks of compliance. I'd like to believe that's waiting for me, too, but I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a part of me that thinks this'll work for everyone else _but_ me. (Probably b/c I've felt so crappy for so long.) And yes, you all have permission to lob that comment back in my face in a few weeks. (I really hope you have reason to.) Dave, I don't know you, but I'm pretty sure I can hear you groaning right now, so let me just say that while I hear that voice that says it won't work for me, I'm not giving into it. I may be a skeptic, but I am committed to this journey -- no abandoning ship (or self). I already know where that leads, and it's not a place I have any interest in revisiting.

Keep on keeping on, all.

Just finished day 3. So far feeling good. Made sunflowerseed butter today, which I can use for the sunshine sauce, it turned out so yummy, just love it, so no need for Peanutbutter at all in the future. Happy also, that my veggie garden has lots of kale, salad greens, celery, spring onions, red beet and silver beet. And hopefully have time tomorrow to do more planting, when the kids are at school and kindergarten.

Have a wonderful day and enjoy your food, it is bed time for me:)

All - I know some of you are ahead of us......some behind.....but for the bulk of us, we are on day three. Keep up the good work and good eating. Let everyone know if you are struggling and get some help, inspiration, advice, or assistance to get you past any low spots.

Thanks to everyone for the warm sentiments for my grandfather-in-law. He lived a long, good life and died peacefully in his sleep.

Today is your first chore! Find 30 minutes to an hour in your day to clean out/wipe out your refrigerator. If this was recently done, then clean a bathroom. The extra energy burns calories and keeps your mind off of any cravings. Speaking of cravings.......please keep them to yourself. Hearing about your favorite dirt and pinecone dessert does not help anyone who is craving some.  

Have a great day 3! That's 1/10th the way there.

Dave

Also, I keep seeing reference to sweet potato hash...is this a recipe thing or an improvise? I lurve sweet taters!

merg, try the sweet potato shepherd's pie in the Whole30 book. It's my new favorite meal!

Hi, All.

Thanks for the heads up on the flax crackers. They take forEVER to bake (it's more of a dehydration process), so I'm glad to have a reason not to make them.

Recipes I've made so far: Melissa Joulwan's Favorite Chili (served over an ample bed of shredded romaine & topped with avocado), and her Old Style Italian Meat Sauce (skipped the meatballs--felt like meat overload) served over roasted spaghetti squash. Also made some chicken bone broth (which may become chicken soup with sweet potato, kale & onion). Breakfasts so far have been scrambled eggs with avocado and a great spicy salsa I stumbled upon that has nothing in it but fresh veggies & spices--praise! Fresh, compliant salsa. God is good.

Need to ramp up water & veggie consumption -- hitting the store tomorrow to get plenty of salad veggies and raws (carrots, celery, cuke, peppers, etc.)

Feeling pretty cranky, stressed & tired. I've seen some testimonials from folks who talk about the dramatic weight loss and incredible increase in energy they experience after several weeks of compliance. I'd like to believe that's waiting for me, too, but I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a part of me that thinks this'll work for everyone else _but_ me. (Probably b/c I've felt so crappy for so long.) And yes, you all have permission to lob that comment back in my face in a few weeks. (I really hope you have reason to.) Dave, I don't know you, but I'm pretty sure I can hear you groaning right now, so let me just say that while I hear that voice that says it won't work for me, I'm not giving into it. I may be a skeptic, but I am committed to this journey -- no abandoning ship (or self). I already know where that leads, and it's not a place I have any interest in revisiting.

Keep on keeping on, all.

I had the thought too that it might not work for me. I'm happy to say it IDID work, and I believe it will for you as well. It wasn't a "snap of the fingers" kind of moment, but a gradual realization that I was feeling better and better. It didn't take long to realize that I was never going back!

Have a great day, all!!

Thanks for the tip, Nancy, and the gentle kick in the butt (kitb), Dave. So sorry about your wife's grandfather. Hope all in the family are doing well.

Woke up this morning late since I stay up to watch that dumb "debate" last night. Every.joint.hurts. Too much politics?

Going to pilates this am to work through it...then off to work. Have a great day the everyone!

Good morning all!  Love reading all the comments.

I've been moving along very well and I'm feeling good. My exercise commitment is also going strong.  I've got 3 days in a row under my belt.  Monday was just a light walk and light stretching, but at least I got my butt moving!  Looking forward to some more exercise this evening.

One of my new favorite recipes is Melissa Joulwan's potato salad. I was kind of indifferent to potato salad before, but this is now part of my regular rotation.  I adjust the ingredients based on what I have in the kitchen. It is delicious.  You've got your carbs, fats, and a little bit of protein.

http://meljoulwan.com/2014/07/22/classic-paleo-potato-salad/

Have an amazing day!

Good morning all!  Love reading all the comments.

I've been moving along very well and I'm feeling good. My exercise commitment is also going strong.  I've got 3 days in a row under my belt.  Monday was just a light walk and light stretching, but at least I got my butt moving!  Looking forward to some more exercise this evening.

One of my new favorite recipes is Melissa Joulwan's potato salad. I was kind of indifferent to potato salad before, but this is now part of my regular rotation.  I adjust the ingredients based on what I have in the kitchen. It is delicious.  You've got your carbs, fats, and a little bit of protein.

http://meljoulwan.com/2014/07/22/classic-paleo-potato-salad/

Have an amazing day!

Wait a sec....the link to the recipe you posted states that white potatoes are now whole 30 compliant, is that correct? Please please please say yes!!

Today's my second day and I have to say, so far so good.

Yesterday felt pretty easy, though I did have an energy slump late afternoon. I dragged my butt to the dojo and felt my energy return within minutes. I was able to do back to back Muay Thai classes and felt like a million bucks when I returned home.

I'm hoping to get in one Muay Thai conditioning class followed by a boxing class tonight, but we'll see how the energy holds up.

So far, I haven't been experiencing any cravings but I'm expecting them to start any time now. 

Stay strong everyone!

How many avocados can I have a day?  I have always loved them, even plain, but limited my consumption because of their fat content.  I find that the creaminess really makes me not miss jarred mayo (I haven't tried making my own yet) on my chicken salad.  Also, I like to eat one just on its own with a protein and veggies at lunch (and breakfast and possibly dinner!)...So, can I overdo it?

How many avocados can I have a day?  I have always loved them, even plain, but limited my consumption because of their fat content.  I find that the creaminess really makes me not miss jarred mayo (I haven't tried making my own yet) on my chicken salad.  Also, I like to eat one just on its own with a protein and veggies at lunch (and breakfast and possibly dinner!)...So, can I overdo it?

Generally, per moderator Tom Denham, the recommendation is no more than one avocado a day. http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/27484-how-much-avocado-is-too-much/?p=289762 Rotate in other fat sources throughout your daily meals.

Yes, an avocado with 1-2 palms of protein and 1-3 cups of veggies would be a terrific meal, as it meets the recommended meal template.

Try not to eat an avocado on its own.  If you are genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), the recommendation is to have a mini-meal of protein, carb and fat, or at least one of those two sources.

All - I know some of you are ahead of us......some behind.....but for the bulk of us, we are on day three. Keep up the good work and good eating. Let everyone know if you are struggling and get some help, inspiration, advice, or assistance to get you past any low spots.

Thanks to everyone for the warm sentiments for my grandfather-in-law. He lived a long, good life and died peacefully in his sleep.

Today is your first chore! Find 30 minutes to an hour in your day to clean out/wipe out your refrigerator. If this was recently done, then clean a bathroom. The extra energy burns calories and keeps your mind off of any cravings. Speaking of cravings.......please keep them to yourself. Hearing about your favorite dirt and pinecone dessert does not help anyone who is craving some.  

Have a great day 3! That's 1/10th the way there.

Dave

Dave, I too am sorry about your grandpa-in-law. Sounds like he had a wonder FULL life.

I've got my sails back up after that storm blew thru, and I am bobbing along behind ya'll. I'm thinkin' my weigh in and measurements might be a bit 'weighted' due to post-op inflammation, those end results will be amazing no matter what.

Finished my chore before you posted. Poor kitties bathroom was a disaster with me being in the hospital. Thankfully, they didn't go on strike. Animals are amazing in their ability to know somethings wrong.

Boats moving slow right now, but it's moving... Forward HO'...  Oh, that was the wagon trains... Full Speed Ahead! There, that's right!

Archived