The Columbus Crew

dcducks1

Good morning on day four!! Nice to open my fridge today and find it CLEAN when I went in to get my pre WO protein...nice too to see a post from Meadow...hope your teeth feel and look as awesome as that photo.

Miss Lindy, you amaze me with your cooking..you freeze avocados?

Pickle, you must easily walk 10k steps a day! I had to do circles in the kitchen last night to finish it up, but there was no morning walk yesterday. I am getting ready to do my mountain morning walking with dogs...who are whining now that they know I am up...so, off to it. Have a GREAT DAY everyone!!

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, vacuuming it is!  Strangely, I have always enjoyed vacuuming.  Cleaning the refrigerator, not so much... but it is also done.

Had a good day yesterday and am feeling fired up this morning.  I have noticed that when I get up in the morning, I've been really draggy and kinda sleepy.  Right up until I eat breakfast, then I feel like I could take on anything. All I have to do is resist the urge to lay back down and "rest" for a couple minutes before getting that first meal in. :D

My exercise for yesterday got shorted by about 5 minutes, but all the laughing I did when that happened should have covered those minutes.  My morning exercise is on the elliptical, I usually get 40-45 min in on it but yesterday towards the end it developed some sort of personality issue that made it start squealing like a puppy that's just been stepped on every time the left pedal came around.  This, in turn, caused my little dog to rush into the room and launch himself into an attack to save me from whatever creature was trying to end me.  Do you have any idea how hard it is to stand up and keep "running" with 8 lbs of savage fury snarling, barking, and grabbing onto your foot every time it goes by?  The neighbors probably think I'm a lunatic, I was howling with laughter by the time I finally threw in the towel and got off.  2nd chore of the day will be to pull poor elliptical apart and grease everything! :D

That pumpkin breakfast custard above looks intriguing... I do love a good custard. 

Have a great day everyone!!  Hang in there, it gets better! :)

Hi All!

I got home from work an 1.5 hours ago and am in bed and about to go to sleep...zzz...

I strictly IF'd and did a LeanGains protocol during the summer, loved it, but got so sick of measuring and tracking everything I ate (different macros on workout days than rest days).  I've been lifting weights for 12 years and am looking forward to shedding the layers that have accumulated on top of my muscles.  I have not been in the gym a single day this week.  I will, but I'm actually backing off a little.  I walk an intense uphill 1 hr walk on my "rest" days normally- continuing to do that, because I love it.  Still will lift weights some times but not every other day and will add yoga.  I need less busy-ness and have been pushing my body too hard.  During my 12 hour shift today I was on my feet, hustling the majority of the time.  About 6 days a week I walk 25minutes after dinner.  I love walking hills fast and by myself.  :)

0615:  3 egg scramble with 1 small link turkey sausage and zucchini, mushrooms, olives, 1/2 avocado on 1/4 of a whole steamed butternut squash

1000:  black coffee with spoonful of full fat coconut milk

1230:  1/2 coconut water

1500:  salad-romaine lettuce, grilled chicken (approx 5 oz.), cucumber, yellow pepper, 1/2 avocado, small handful of cashews, dressing (tbsp coconut oil, tbsp white wine vinegar, tbsp lemon juice), small handful of blueberries

1945:  grilled beef hamburger (approx 5 oz) with spoonful of homemade mayo, 1/4 sweet potato, steamed broccoli and chard, 1/8 of a butternut squash with spoonful of coconut oil, 1/2 banana

2 quarts water throughout the day

I'm very satiated by the fat content and have not been hungry at all.  Do any moderators or our captain have any input- am I eating too much fat?  Most of my spoonfuls are about 1-1/5 tbsp.  Or too much in general? 

I'm not working out like normal and maybe this is too much without serious exercise?

Not snacking is one of my goals- and that's going great...

I "like" everyone's posts!

If your meals are keeping you satiated for 4-5hrs then that's a good indicator that you're on the right track quantity wise. If 6hrs passes and you're still not hungry then you're probably eating too much.

Looking at your log I'd comment that I'd probably ditch the coffee & the coconut water and add in a soft boiled egg or some other small snack/mini meal in that long window between 06:15 & 15:00, and stick with either the avocado OR the olives at meal one rather than both. Your salad also has three types of fat in it so I'd maybe drop one of those too & add in a little more veg (a salad needs to be HUGE to be filling) whilst you're not lifting just as much.

Other than that your meals look pretty good.

That pumpkin breakfast custard above looks intriguing... I do love a good custard. 

Unfortunately recreating a 'good custard' with compliant ingredients is not really what Whole30 is all about.

As I explained to LuckyPennies the recipe is very low in veg, & very high in fat to meet the template, and is also pretty 'desserty' - it's best to keep the likes of this for after your Whole30.

Unfortunately a recreating a 'good custard' with compliant ingredients is not really what Whole30 is all about.

As I explained to LuckyPennies the recipe is very low in veg, & very high in fat to meet the template, and is also pretty 'desserty' - it's best to keep the likes of this for after your Whole30.

I was afraid of that, lol.  I carefully saved it my "after" folder.  Perhaps it will be a good breakfast for the family when we go visiting for Thanksgiving.  I am planning on making an entire breakfast of dairy free, grain free food.  And I'm not letting them in on it until after they've eaten it. :)  I have been stealthily feeding my husband MUCH more healthy food than he realizes he's eating and he's been going back for seconds.

Hi All,

I would love to join this group.  I have done a w60 in 2014, and then most of a W30 in 2015 before a filing for divorce this summer and having my life turned upside down.  The divorce was final on August 20, and I am starting to recover. 

I know some of you from another group.  I've missed you.  I'm ready to come back.  

I have a trip out of town this weekend, so I am planning Monday October 19 as my start date. That gives me time to clean out the kitchen and stock up on w30 food. Plus plan some menus.

There are a few scary and upsetting things left to finish up after the divorce.  I am determined to deal head on and not comfort myself w food or wine.  

If your meals are keeping you satiated for 4-5hrs then that's a good indicator that you're on the right track quantity wise. If 6hrs passes and you're still not hungry then you're probably eating too much.

Looking at your log I'd comment that I'd probably ditch the coffee & the coconut water and add in a soft boiled egg or some other small snack/mini meal in that long window between 06:15 & 15:00, and stick with either the avocado OR the olives at meal one rather than both. Your salad also has three types of fat in it so I'd maybe drop one of those too & add in a little more veg (a salad needs to be HUGE to be filling) whilst you're not lifting just as much.

Other than that your meals look pretty good.

Thank you!  My days off will help me be a better judge of how long I stay satiated- at work I just eat when I get a break.  (Usually 1 30 min. break) 

And I'll apply the rest of your suggestions. I really appreciate your feedback.  Off to work!

I cleaned my fridge and it shines!  :)

Now I have to vacuum the entire house? Oh my! I knew this group was going to be good for me.  :unsure:

As for food, I am having a hard time getting all of my veggies in.  I'm tired of them.  I was eating a variety of veggies as a salad and grew tired of that.  Roasted some veggies and just LOVED them and now I am tired of those.  I'm tired of added veggies in my egg scramble.  I have been just buying the frozen veggies and microwaving them and adding salt and pepper.  I'm not thrilled with them, but at least they are easy.  Anyone have a yummy suggestion?

well almost at the end of day four and not going so bad at all. I was hungry last night, but I think that was because I wasn't training and I missed my post work out meal! I have been quite tired though - i took a step class on tuesday night and lost my concentration which resulted in me ending up on a heap on the floor.. I have decided to reduce my training for the next few days!!

I am at a work conference tomorrow where a 'hot buffet' will be provided. Any ideas on what to bring with me incase there is nothing I can eat. I was planning on taking half an avacado, some cooked chicken and a banana in a small cool bag - does that sound okay??I have been told there is always salad so i can add that to my plate to fill it up.

Dave,  Dave,  Dave......Although you took very thorough precautions in the pod, I could see your lips move.   Without your space helmet, Dave....we're going to have a very difficult time getting your head through the door with all of the love you have UP in here.   

But DAVE....I know your heart still belongs to all of the usual suspects. Hurricane Miki,  Lovely Laurie,  CC the Conqueror,  Higs our Hero, Rose the Writer and all of the rest of that wildy and wooly bunch of yayhoos.   We were a force to be reckoned with.   A Whole 30 hurricane.   The WD30'rs.

My nickname is now WD30 amongst my loved ones.  It's a moniker that I enjoy.   Here she comes.....ole WD30.     Hail, yes...it's me.   You can call me whatever you want to but just don't call me late for supper.

Raspberry balsamic reduction is a fantastic sauce over duck.  Don't ask me for recipes because I 'wing it and fly' by the seat of my pants. Higs knows all of those recipes.   It's great spread on wild salmon or trout before grilling or roasting. 

Drizzle on fresh summer tomatoes with fresh basil.  Cook pork chops and shallots in a skillet.  Remove the pork, leave the shallots, coat shallots with the raspberry balsamic reduction and then spoon over the pork.

Toss a standard Balamic Reduction with hot carmelized onions and serve over your burgers, steaks, chicken.  Drizzle over grilled portobello mushrooms.

I know you're filled with joy and optimism, Dave.  It's who you are wherever you go.   I'd really like to hear what's been going in those breakrooms with all of the play foods and full-on food benders that accompany large groups of people.   How are you handling that?

And Dave....no body does it better.    Your buddy, your pal and Whole 30 fruitcake.  No yellow-bellied lily-livered sapsuckers UP in here.   

Dave is the REAL DEAL.   

Warning! Warning! Warning!

You know how the book is always stressing "read the labels"? Well, be sure to read the labels. My husband picked up refrigerated coconut milk at the local (northern Illinois) Fresh Market and learned that there was "dried corn oil" in the ingredient list! Who would have thought. . . Needless to say, he put it back and went and found the canned version, which passed inspection.

As for food, I am having a hard time getting all of my veggies in.  I'm tired of them.  I was eating a variety of veggies as a salad and grew tired of that.  Roasted some veggies and just LOVED them and now I am tired of those.  I'm tired of added veggies in my egg scramble.  I have been just buying the frozen veggies and microwaving them and adding salt and pepper.  I'm not thrilled with them, but at least they are easy.  Anyone have a yummy suggestion?

This morning I had fried eggs and a small bowl of cauliflower soup. Yum. I also have ginger zucchini soup in the fridge. I'll be making vegetable beef soup this weekend. You don't have to add vegetables to your eggs, they can be served on the side. I'd be bored with frozen vegetables with salt and pepper. I hope you put at least a little ghee or olive on them as well. I've sliced up tomatoes for breakfast, made a dip with homemade mayo and dipped carrots in it, stuffed celery with sunflower butter. There are tons of easy ways to get veggies into breakfast and you don't have to have eggs every day, either. Variety in preparation and vegetables is what makes this program so yummy.

Dave,  they say...whoever they are...that living well is the best revenge.   I used to make homemade cinnamon rolls for my coworkers.  I used to secretly hope that the bratty ones would enjoy them the most.   I would like to think I'm far and above that now.   I think so.   I sure hope so.   bulbar-smiley.gif?1292867562

I'm on day five and so far so good! I even baked cookies with the kids and resisted temptation last night! BUT, I go out of town this weekend to a huge family celebration...October birthdays, a going away party (brother moving to Brazil), etc. I'm very worried about sticking to plan!! I know the food served will not be compliant, and VERY good. There will also be WINE. Any tips to talk with my family and to stay on plan will be greatly appreciated!!

By the way, the chocolate chili from Well Fed is fabulous!!

Struggling but still compliant. Went out this morning and got a boatload of salad greens (for breakfast) and some zukes for zoodles at lunch. Just very tired & mentally/emotionally exhausted. Because I'm no longer using sugar/simple carbs to self-medicate, I'm having to face life head-on, and right now, it's not very pleasant. :(

I drove down to visit my sister last night. I felt weird packing my food for a couple of days, but I just didn't want to put myself in a situation of "winging it" so I packed it up. I had my planned dinner at her house last night and then headed out to catch her performance at a local coffee house/bakery/restaurant. While there, I ran into an old friend of hers that I hadn't seen in a while. While we were chatting, she happened to mention that she was taking a break from alcohol. I said, "Really? So am I." And then she further elaborated, "Not just alcohol, but all sugars, dairy, grains..." Again, I replied, "Me, too!" We laughed, pointed at one another, and asked, "Whole 30???" Yep. Sometimes you find support in the unlikeliest places. :) I enjoyed a really decent cup of decaf black coffee, good friends & conversation, and some great music.

Trying to minimize the mindset of counting days and instead think in terms of practicing lifestyle changes, i.e. -- this isn't something that ends in 30 days. It's more like reaching 30 days of sugar & food "sobriety." A great beginning...

Keep up the great work, gang.

Merge -- I am speechless -- such a beautiful, inspiring, courageous post. I just can't thank you enough. Melissa says on the website that coffee without cream *is not hard* -- battling cancer *is hard.* In a strange way, I feel like the intensity of my life right now is actually helping me to put dietary changes in perspective. Like Dave said, I'm not starving. I may be hungry, cranky, lonely, bored, exhausted, whatever -- but I'm never without the ability to make choices. And as you so eloquently put it -- it won't take away the pain of my experience, but it will help me to know I am strong enough to ride that wave... Wow. Again, my heartfelt thanks.

Well said!

I cleaned my fridge and it shines!  :)

Now I have to vacuum the entire house? Oh my! I knew this group was going to be good for me.  :unsure:

raw veggies with homemade dressing or avocado as dip?  Or throw them in the food processor and make soup base?  I just used food processor and made hash with chopped greens, onion and sweet potato, it turned out really tasty.  Made little "haystacks" with my eggs.  Tonight I'm planning on doing acorn squash and baking them filled with the leftover chicken soup & veggies.

I'm on day five and so far so good! I even baked cookies with the kids and resisted temptation last night! BUT, I go out of town this weekend to a huge family celebration...October birthdays, a going away party (brother moving to Brazil), etc. I'm very worried about sticking to plan!! I know the food served will not be compliant, and VERY good. There will also be WINE. Any tips to talk with my family and to stay on plan will be greatly appreciated!!

By the way, the chocolate chili from Well Fed is fabulous!!

Barner:  eat some protein and fat before you go to each event....offer to bring a big compliant salad (just dont use the word "compliant")...bring your own yummy something to drink and what makes it great like slices of fruit, whatever will get you through,  Also drink lots of water while you are there and focus on the interactions with the peopl.  Try doing these two things: with anyone you are having a conversation, REALLY look at them and listen deeply, trying to bring all of your presence right there - AND in general, try to elevate the conversations by asking great questions.

You CAN do this!

Unfortunately recreating a 'good custard' with compliant ingredients is not really what Whole30 is all about.

Same thing for Melissa Joulwan's velvety butternut squash casserole with coconut milk....SAY IT AINT SO!!

Archived