Fish oil supplement

ShellyBeach

I'm not much of a fish eater, or even much of a beef eater...at least not so far. I was thinking of supplementing with fish oil to get some sweet sweet omega-3 action, but I am not sure if then I would need to EAT less fat in meals? I know you're supposed to take it with a meal to help cut down on fish burps and stomach issues, but then do you just omit or reduce the fat you'd normally eat at that meal?

I have never heard of restricting fats in order to included fish oil. I never have. If you don't want fish burps, if you are taking the pills, freeze them. That works for my hubby. I take the liquid I don't get the burps or aftertaste. Carlson has a great pure product and SFH is excellent too. They are very concentrated so you don't have to take as much.

• 6 months later...

You don't have to eat less fats just because you're taking a fish oil capsule. There are two different kinds of fats – the bad fat like saturated fats and the good fat like fish oil which contains polyunsaturated fats. When there is an imbalance of these fats in the body – like if you're taking in more saturated fats than polyunsaturated that's when it would affect your health. If you get fish burps from the fish oil capsules – freeze them as someone has suggested. I do that with the Blue Vera capsules I take – 600 mg of EPA and 200 DHA. I take it for general health since I've heard it is so good for you. I do limit intake of the bad fat.

Hi Pete, welcome, I see from your other post you're just starting your W30 journey. Actually you'll find that the W30 recomends saturated fats and tries to limit PUFAs. i don't know if you've read the book 'It Starts With Food' it explains it really clearly. Basically saturated fats are much more stable, especially for cooking with, so animal fats (if the animals have had a natural diet) coconut oil, and ghee are all recomended.

The trouble with PUFAs is that, as well as being unstable, they tend to give us too much Omega 6 and throw our whole 6 - 3 ratio out of whack. Now that's a very limited explanation because most sources of fat actually contain a mixture of sauturated and unsaturated fats but as I said the book really does explain it in detail.

Yes. Saturated fat is definitely not the "bad fat." Telling people to avoid sat fat here is like telling people to eat fake meat made out of GMO soy protein. ;)

I do agree that freezing fish oil capsules helps with the taste. I never notice mine. But I am going to start the fermented cod liver oil--and I'm a little nervous about that.

• 4 months later...

Archived