Red Wine Vinegar

bethiej25

Good Morning!  

I searched the forums and didn't see a topic specifically addressing this....  Hope it's not the 100th time someone is asking!  

Why is red wine vinegar Whole30 approved when Dijon mustard is not if it contains wine?  Are there red wine vinegar's not made with Red Wine?  The one I have is made with Burgundy...  

this has to do with the process of making vinegar. Basically: vinegar is made by fermenting wine. By the time the vinegar is ready, it isn't really wine anymore, but has become something new in terms of it's chemical composition. Only Malt vinegar is prohibited because the finished product in malt vinegar contains gluten.

In the case of mustard that has wine as an ingredient, the wine has not been fermented into a new chemical substance. It is still wine.

Here is the official word from the program rules: Vinegar. Most forms of vinegar, including white, balsamic, apple cider, red wine, and rice, are allowed during your Whole30 program. The only exceptions are vinegars with added sugar, or malt vinegar, which generally contains gluten. - See more at: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/#sthash.PokoOXVX.dpuf

In the case of mustard that has wine as an ingredient, the wine has not been fermented into a new chemical substance. It is still wine.

I've been curious about this, how would Malt Vinegar be different from Rice Vinegar? If the gluten sticks around in the malt vinegar, wouldn't the compounds in rice responsible for gut irritation also stick around?

Archived