Freezing Almond Milk?

NicoleMeigui

Does anyone know if it's a worthwhile idea to attempt FREEZING almond milk?  I'm fine with making my own, but I use milks so sparingly!  It goes bad before I can use it all, and trust me, I've tried making smaller amounts.... but it just doesn't work quite right!  HELP!

I think it might separate or the texture might not be as nice. It might depend on how you are using it--if it gets pureed into soup, maybe fine? Just test and see.

Personally, once I stopped having smoothies I stopped having almond milk around. I just didn't have enough uses for it to bother making it anymore.

Yeah, I'm not using it for smoothies.  Don't like liquid meals.  More like, for instead of coconut milk when making frittatas and the like?  But I only use like a quarter-half cup at a time.  And usually, I make like um...2 or 4 cups of almond milk!  It's just too much since it separates and goes bad.  And that's my issue too about not having enough uses.  But at the same time, it's important every once in a while.  Grrrr....

• Administrators

I've tried freezing coconut milk and did NOT appreciate the texture when I defrosted it.  I suspect almond would be the same.  Coconut milk from a can, refrigerated in a mason jar, lasts about 10-14 days in the fridge and is usually less than 2 cups.  Perhaps you could try that and on the weeks that you have some in the fridge, plan for recipes that use it (pureed soups, curries, moquecas etc).

Archived