Sign in to follow this  
kDawn

Amount of Veggies/Eggs

I am wondering if there is such a thing as too many veggies? I know the amount stated in the book is 2-3 cups per meal, but if you go over is that bad? And is that 2-3 cups raw veggies or cooked? 

Also, I am only eating eggs for protein. I don't workout at the gym but walk at least 3 miles per day and go running maybe 1-2 times per week. Is eating 2 eggs per meal okay or should I be eating more? 

Hi,

The meal template recommendations are minimums so if you feel compelled to eat more veggies than that, you go right ahead!  Make sure it's a nice medley of leafy, starchy and non starchy and you're giving yourself so much nutrition!

Eggs, when they are your sole protein source, should be as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping; 3-4 is a good start for most people.

You can also check in with yourself and see when you're getting hungry.  If you are chewing your arm off 3 hours after you've eaten, you need to eat more at the next meal.  4-5 hours is the interval you're aiming for.

kDawn,

I am between Whole30's ..next one starts Jan.1st.   

However, I eat pretty "clean" normally.  As for amount of veggies, here's my breakfast- just as another vegetarian's example for you. (-:

"Awesome Anytime Veggie Scramble"

1 stalk celery 

1/2 red bell pepper

4 large Shitake mushrooms

handful of fresh cilantro

1/2 small  zucchini

2 brocoli florettes

6 cherrie tomatoes

1/2 block extra firm tofu

1/2 cup coconut or almond milk

2 eggs

heat 1 tbsp (or more as needed) ghee in frying pan

crumble or cube Tofu and chop all veggies

add mushrooms and tofu to frying pan

cover and simmer until mushrooms soften down a bit

add the rest of the veggies 

Cover and simmer for another few minutes until veggies are hot but still fairly firm.

Combine eggs and coconut or almond milk (whip with fork or whisk) pour over cooking veggies and stir gently until all egg mixture is cooked.

Add a dollop of coconut butter-mix well

sprinkle with turmeric, salt, pepper, curry powder as desired 

Super yummy and (except for Tofu) Whole30 compliant !  (-:

Thank you ladyshanny for explaining that if eggs are your only source of protein you need 3 to 4 per meal. As a vegetarian who wants to do the program all on-plan this is very helpful info. I've not found much info on people doing the program "egg only" so is it unusual?

Also that's eating 9 to 12 eggs a day for 30 or more days. Are there health issues arising from that level of egg consumption please? Thank you :-)

Also that's eating 9 to 12 eggs a day for 30 or more days. Are there health issues arising from that level of egg consumption please? Thank you :-)

Take a look at the article linked in this post.

If you still have concerns about consuming that number of eggs, speak with your physician. 

Also, I hid your other post to me and Shannon on another thread asking this same question. As part of the forum rules, we ask that you please not cross post.  Thank you.

Thank you ladyshanny for explaining that if eggs are your only source of protein you need 3 to 4 per meal. As a vegetarian who wants to do the program all on-plan this is very helpful info. I've not found much info on people doing the program "egg only" so is it unusual?

There was a lady this time last year (I think) that did an egg-only Whole30, if you peruse the Vegetarian section of the forum you may find her.

I started Whole30 on Monday!  I am a vegetarian and do not eat any fish either.  Is it really necessary to eat so many eggs?  In the book and veg shopping list, they talk about how more fat can be helpful for vegetarians.  Why is it not a good idea to eat more of other Whole30 compliant proteins as well, like nuts and seeds?

I started Whole30 on Monday!  I am a vegetarian and do not eat any fish either.  Is it really necessary to eat so many eggs?  In the book and veg shopping list, they talk about how more fat can be helpful for vegetarians.  Why is it not a good idea to eat more of other Whole30 compliant proteins as well, like nuts and seeds?

Hi veg!  Nuts and seeds are considered a fat on Whole30.  Our recommendation to limit them is because they are high in Omega 6 vs their Omega 3 content.  They can be difficult to stop eating once you get started and they quite commonly cause digestive upset in people.

Our recommendations would be to do an omnivorous Whole30 in order to allow yourself a complete elimination so that you can add back vegetarian sources of protein (tofu, lentils, beans, dairy etc) and see how your body reacts to them.  If you were to do this with just eggs as your protein, you would indeed be eating them at every meal.  That said, there has been at least one woman who did a Whole30 completely with eggs as protein, quite successfully. 

If you do not want to use eggs as your protein at every meal, you would then choose your own vegetarian protein sources as you desire and do the best you can, understanding that you will not get the same results as you would if you followed the program without that modification.

Although I can appreciate the caveat that success may be less significant if people choose to include vegetarian protein sources, stating on a **vegetarian** board that you recommend an ominvorious diet is really counter-productive to those of who strongly identify as vegetarians. For many people, being a vegetarian is a part of one's identity-- not simply a way of eating. It feels analagous to me as suggesting that I practice a religion that isn't my own or that I shift another facet of my identify to acheive a particular outcome.

I am a kosher pescetarian (no shell fish) at this point in my life and am 15 days into my second Whole30-- with very limited fish. I've probably eaten 3 meals with fish in my 15 days this go around and am doing well. That said, I really do love eggs, so enjoy getting to eat them so often. I also do quite a few nuts (mostly almonds, though sometimes cashews and pecans too). It is almost 10 pm my time today and I've eaten 7 eggs today thus far, and a reasonable amount of almonds. If you are a fellow egg lover it is definitely doable!

I wasn't recommending that the poster eat anything he/she was not comfortable with but as that person indicated that they were fine wtih eating eggs, I simply explained that if they are willing to eat eggs, forgoing any vegetarian source of protein is the best possible option for doing an elimination diet to determine how those vegetarian sources affect them later. That is what the Whole30 is about, at its core.

If someone is doing a Whole30 and using animal protein (eggs only, eggs and fish, fish only or basically any variation of eggs, fish and meat) and no vegetarian sources, that is the omnivorous version of the program.

I'm in the middle of my second only-eggs-for-protein Whole30. It's been challenging, but is certainly possible. This one I have found that I was able to cut down on the nuts that I was probably eating too much of on the first one. I'm a creature of habit, so my breakfasts are usually 2-3 eggs scrambled with some salsa and avocado. I've been making shakshuka for dinner/lunches, but other than that, I don't often eat eggs outside of breakfast.

I made a Pinterest board that is mostly full of Whole30 compliant recipes - feel free to peruse here