Am I doing this right?

loobylifts

I'm currently on day 8 of my first whole30 and i'm feeling great! I just wanted to check that my intake is okay though, so I've posted yesterdays and todays food to give an example. 

I don't want to lose weight, i'm actually trying to put weight and muscle on so i'm trying to eat to the higher end of the template! 

M1 (post w/o)

-1 small sweet potato

-1.5 cups (roughly, I didn't measure) homemade chilli 

M2

-2 boiled eggs

-1 can tuna 

-mixed green salad (broccoli, tomatoes, cucumber, spinach, pepper etc)

Snack between lectures

-1 open handful coconut chips

M3

-Chicken breast and broccoli stir fry cooked in coconut oil

-about 1c of kabocha squash 

-1/2 avocado

-apple

-small handful of nuts

and today..

M1

-3 boiled eggs

-1/2 avocado

-open handful coconut chips

-about 2 cups veggies 

postWO 

-about 1c kabocha squash

-1 can tuna

M2

-can of sardines

-carrot

-about 1c green veg

-apple

M3

-1 smallish sweet potato

-big chicken breast 

-roasted veg (zucchini, cauliflower, sprouts)

Thank you! Any advice is most appreciated :) 

• Moderators

You combined your post-workout meal and meal 1 yesterday. That means you failed to eat enough because working out means you need extra food.

A post-workout meal should include lean protein and starchy veggies to maximize recovery. When you eat protein with a lot of fat, it slows digestion and your muscles do not get fed fast enough to maximize recovery. 

Your meal composition looks pretty good. 

Any time you eat a snack, that is a caution that you are not eating enough at meals and should look at increasing the size of meals. 

It is okay to eat coconut chips and nuts as part of meals, but they should be added to stir-fries or other recipes rather than being eaten by the handful. In other words, use them to flavor a dish, but don't use them as a side of fat in a meal. 

Thank you, Tom! I realise this, and it is probably why I got hungry in the afternoon (hence the snack). I'll try to fit in an extra meal with my workouts. I manage every other day but yesterday was busier than normal! 

One more question too, I come from a macro counting background and can't help but be wary of how much fat i'm eating - i'm not limiting it at all but was wondering what would be considered as 'too much'? 

One more question too, I come from a macro counting background and can't help but be wary of how much fat i'm eating - i'm not limiting it at all but was wondering what would be considered as 'too much'? 

Keep in the mind that the fat you're eating is from high quality sources. 

That being said, use satiety as your guide.  You want to create meals of protein, veg and fat that keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours.  If you find they're keeping you satiated longer than that, then try cutting back on the fat.

• Moderators

Counting macros before you have experienced the power of eating Whole30-style is a good way to slam the gates shut and never to experience the magic. :) I've been eating at the upper end of the Whole30 meal template for over 5 years now and am the healthiest I've ever been in my life. It is a wonderful idea to minimize fat when you are consuming seed oils, margarine, etc., but eating loads of coconut oil, olives, tallow, lard, etc. is honestly good for you. Check in with me after you have completed a Whole30 and I will talk with you about macros. :)

Thank you!! I am really loving the 'freedom' of not tracking if I'm honest, but it does take some getting used to! I will check in when i'm done for that chat Tom :D

I feel kind of out of control without the constraints of tracking. This is such a mind shift.

I feel kind of out of control without the constraints of tracking. This is such a mind shift.

I'm sorry to hear that! Its a really hard habit to break. I was so careful with tracking all my macros before I started my whole30, its so strange to just go cold turkey. I think the only thing you can do is fully embrace it and trust your body and the process. I'm learning to recognise my body's signals and following them feels so much more natural than only eating something because I need to hit my protein goal for the day. 

Archived