Eat Your Books - cookbook recipe organization site

Is anyone else a member of EatYourBooks.com?

It's a really great concept if you're like me and have lots of cookbooks but have gotten spoiled by the modern ability to search online quickly for recipes, so much that a lot of recipes in your cookbooks are forgotten.

You just go on this website and add whatever cookbooks you own to your shelf, then you can search ALL your books' recipes by ingredient, etc. and your results will give you the book title, page #, ingredients etc. (You just have to crack open your book for the instructions.)

The only caveat is the functionality depends on people indexing cookbooks... There some paleo books indexed, but others aren't. The EYB staff won't index a book themselves unless a certain number of people request it, but members can index them. (I'm in the process of indexing It Starts With Food now!)

I'd love to see more people on here demanding paleo books be indexed! Or if you have some free time, indexing one yourself isn't difficult, but it is time-consuming.

• Administrators

I've seen this in an effort to try and organize my fafillions of recipes both in books and printed out from Ye Olde Internet.  However I find it somewhat lacking in that there are no quantities listed.  So if you are making a favourite that you basically have memorized then it's great to  just remind you of all you need to pick up.  But if you are searching for a chicken recipe in your bookcase and pick one you haven't made before, it doesn't tell you how many cups of mushrooms or what size of canned tomatoes you need.  If it showed just basic measurements (even approximate), I would use it ALL the time.

Archived