So I was starving the other night....

msame213

It was one of the first days and I hadn't eaten enough food during the day as I'm struggling to shift from my usual restrictive diet and being super careful about the quantity and carbs that I eat. I was on the eve of my first period in over a year (yep have some issues) and I was SO hungry that all I could do was eat a bag of mixed nuts I had in my bag. I'd already had home made muesli (granola) that morning (ground walnuts, almond, dried cranberries, coconut). So I jumped on the forum and read that too much nuts is a bad thing which I knew but didn't really have an option.

What else could you do in that situation? You're not meant to eat fruit by itself for a snack and I didn't have a chicken breast or boiled egg to hand!

What would you guys do...be more prepared I guess....?

Too much nuts is definitely a bad thing - as is too much dried fruit.

Your granola, whilst compliant, doesn't really meet the recommended meal template so I'd advise that you stay away from this until after your Whole30.

Building each of your meals to meet that template, and ensuring you're eating enough in general will avoid the kind of situation you found yourself in because you just won't be hungry.

In the run up to, and during your period try to increase your intake of starchy veg, and going forward try to always have some prepped compliant foods available in your fridge - boiled eggs will keep for a week, a jar of olives even longer...

I had trouble allowing myself to eat enough as well my first time through.  I was such a train wreck that first week, lol.  I had a very difficult time wrapping my head around the fact not only COULD I eat fat and my favorite carb dense veggies, but I NEED to eat them for the energy. My husband drug me into a steakhouse somewhere around day 5 or 6 and when the smell hit me, it was a done deal.  I must have looked like some sort of mad cave woman hunched over my steak and sweet potato. :D

Depending on budget, there are some really good jerky type bars you can carry made by Epic and I think Primal Pac.  I gasp at the price, but buy one occasionally.  In between programs I learned to make my own sweet potato chips and radish chips. But I don't let myself have those during W30 because they are a treat and I'm trying to re-break the snack habit.

Do eat enough to keep going, especially that breakfast.  And, I just remembered!!  The organic baby foods in the squeeze tubes. :)  There are some very tasty veg or veg/fruit combos.  Very portable and keep with no refrigeration.  I noticed last time I was in the store that they also have them in "adult" packaging now, although the price is quite a bit higher.  I kept one in my pack as an "emergency snack" while I was on 12 hour shifts.

Under the circumstances it sounds like you did the best you could - so great work!

And yep, the key for the future is preparation, both in terms of eating meals that keep you full for 4-5 hours and in terms of keeping great, best-option food on hand. It can be a little overwhelming at first, but eventually you learn what works for you and it becomes kind of second nature. I do keep a few Epic bars around, if you have access to those in NZ - I don't eat them on a regular basis (if nothing else, they're too expensive!), but they're fantastic for traveling or an emergency stash. Eventually, you'll figure out how to eat meals that keep you full for several hours, so snacking isn't a regular thing. In the meantime, just keep doing the best you can!

Archived