Nancy's Whole 30 log

Nancy   H.

Well after being on the yo-yo diet for years I decided it was time to take control of my life. I am 79 years old with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, Type 2 Diabetes, Arthritis just about everywhere and a spine that is starting to disintegrate. I have lost weight on the Atkins program but still don't feel all that well. So after hearing about this program and reading ISWF I know this is for me.

I have received so much information from this forum and decided that I really need to start my log also. I spent two days cleaning out the fridge and cupboards of all non compliant foods and am ready to go. So I went to the store and got a lot of food to get me going. So here goes:

Day 1: Meal 1:

2 eggs scrambled in 1 TBPS. Olive Oil with a large handful of spinach, 3 large mushrooms, 1/2 of a red onion, and added a small handful of pecans for crunch. I also had 1/4 of an avocado.

Meal 2

2 eggs poached in Marinara Sauce. 4 strawberries slice in coconut milk.

Meal 3:

2 soft boiled eggs; 1 can beets, sliced and warmed in Ghee: 2 Heirloom tomatoes with olive oil. 1 Kiwi and a small handful cashews

Not too bad for the first try. I spent most of the day on my feet (WRONG CHOICE!) making Bone Broth, homemade Mayo, and cut up veggies for an egg/sausage casserole. I also put a whole chicken in to roast. Unfortunately I took it out before it was done. So I took it all apart, put it in the slow cooker with onions, celery, basil a quart of water and let it go all night on low. The wrong choice meant that I was in so much pain after being my feet all day. Must rest tomorrow.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 2:

After being in so much pain after yesterdays marathon cooking episode I decided that today I would rest. Well I did, sort of.

I strained the bone broth and now have 4 pint jars in my freezer. I also separated the chicken that was in the slow cooker and saved the chicken and put the broth in the fridge. Later tonight I will strain it and freeze it for future soups.

Meal 1: Egg/Sausage casserole, 1 peach sliced with Coconut milk and 6 cherry tomatoes.

Meal 2: Huge salad: lettuce, arugula, mushrooms, tomatoes, chicken. Salad dressing made of 1/4 cup Raspberry Balsamic

vinegar and 3/4 cup olive oil. I drizzled the oil in slowly and it thickened it.

Small fruit bowl: total 1/2 cup: watermelon, strawberry, blueberries, Pomegranate seeds with coconut milk.

Meal 3: Salmon poached in Coconut milk with curry, smoked paprika and garlic. (This was from Rubarb's recipe. Thanks so much) Cauliflower rice browned in Ghee. 1/2 avocado..

I think this was OK but I was a little worried about the Pomegranate seed. They are on the list, but then they are seed. Tonight I have to handle the chicken broth and strain it and put it in jars for future soup.

Looking good Nancy! I'm really keen to see how your health (presumably) improves following this. I have a history of diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol in my family (and my own cholesterol is totally out of whack), so I'm always interested to see the effects of paleo on said issues.

On another note, the poached salmon in coconut milk sound really good! I think I'm going to work that in sometime this week.

Stay strong!

Day 3:

Well I woke up with no appetite at all. So I got on the computer and found the recipe for Peloe Hot Cereal. Awesome !

Meal 1:

Primal Hot Cereal, (recipe to follow) 4 strawberries

(Primal Hot Cereal Recipe) serves 2

1/2 cup Almonds

12 cup Pecans

1/2 cup unsweetened Apple sauce or 1 Banana

1/8 tsp salt

1/4 cup unsweetened Almond Milk orCoconut Milk.

Pulse all in food processor. Leave a little crunchy.

Warm in microwave.

Add more milk and berries to taste.

I had to take my car to the shop so I went to the store first.

After I got home I was feeling extremely wiped out and wanted to sleep.

Then I realized that I did not have any protein for breakfast so I ate 2 Chicken Apple sausages.

Snack:

2 Chicken/Apple sausages.

Meal 2:

Egg / Sausage casserole, Pistachio nuts, Kiwi

When my car was done I was still so wiped out that I stopped at the Health Food store and got a Lara Bar. Boy are those good. I only ate 1 bite but I can see where they could really be a challenge for me. It's almost like a candy bar. I p ut the rest of it in the freezer for later when the sugar dragon rears it's ugly head.

Snack:

1 bite of a Lara Bar

Meal 3:

Cauliflower rice left over from last night.

2 Deviled Eggs ( mixed yolks with mayo, mustard, dill pickles chopped fine, salt and smoked paprika with a splash of lemon juice. ) Really good.

1/2 avocado.

Well I made it through three days. So I think I have a handle on this. At least for now.

Day 4:

Well I woke up with no appetite again. Having diarrhea doesn't help. (Darn all those veggies I have been eating! LOL.)

Trying to find a positive in the yucky way I feel I an trying to believe that my body is just getting rid of all the toxins I have be putting in there after years of eating all the wrong stuff. So much for positive thinking.

Meal 1:

2 eggs scramble with chopped red onions

1 chicken breast

handful of spinach

Herbal tea.

But I feel so yucky that I think I am going to give my stomach a rest today. I know that is not the way to do it, but my gut says that's what I need to do. Besides I could only eat 1/4 of my breakfast.

More later if I feel good.

Aw Nancy, I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Stick with it tho! You're right, your body is going through a huge adjustment and the first few days can be rough on the system. Your eating sounds great, so just make sure you're getting plenty of rest. You might want to cut back on the raw veg, and make sure you're staying hydrated (broth, coconut water are good options) if food is running through your system. You'll feel the positive effects before you know it :)

Aw Nancy, I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Stick with it tho! You're right, your body is going through a huge adjustment and the first few days can be rough on the system. Your eating sounds great, so just make sure you're getting plenty of rest. You might want to cut back on the raw veg, and make sure you're staying hydrated (broth, coconut water are good options) if food is running through your system. You'll feel the positive effects before you know it :)

Hi Maggie, Yes I know I need to drink more. That is one thing I need to work on.

But O..M..G....After a two hour nap I woke up and started reading recipes and then made lunch. For the first time in this I feel like I am eating a "real" meal.

Meal 2:

Grass fed beef patty topped with home made Ketchup.

Sweet potato fritters (YUM!)

Cauliflower rice (left over) that I added cinnamon to.

This meal really made me feel good psychologically. It put me in a good place.

Snack:

9 Blackberries with Coconut Cream.

I finally found the brand of Coconut milk that has the thick top after being in the fridge overnight. The previous one I had was just watery Coconut milk. But this was like whipping cream consistency. Thick and sweet.

Meal: 3

Leftover Curried salmon

Salad with red bell peppers, cucumbers, raisins, pomegranate seeds and home made Balsamic dressing.

I really feel like I turned the corner today. the first three days were hard, especially when I was not feeling well. I know I need to rest my back more or I suffer the consequences.

Day 5:

Meal 1:

Egg sausage casserole

mixed fruit ( watermelon, blueberries, strawberries) with coconut cream

I woke up with a headache, but it was gone by the time I finished Meal 1.

Meal 2:

4 deviled eggs

Roasted sweet potatoes with cinnamon

Mixed fruit with coconut cream

snack:

2 Pluots

Meal 3:

Chocolate chile (not as good as it sounded like it was going to be)

Over chicken sausage

Roasted sweet potatoes

To day was an OK day for me. I guess I had more energy as I did vacuum and clean the house. Usually it takes me two days to clean the entire house. Well, in truth I didn't do all of it. Tomorrow I have to dust.

Off to bed for a good night's sleep I hope.

Day 6: I woke up feeling really good after a good nights sleep. Only got up once. Feeling really positive a bout life in general. Yesterday in the mail came the zucchini noodle slicer and two packages of Pure Wraps. I am really going to have fun with those.

Meal 1: 2 scrambled eggs

Primal Hot cereal with some coconut milk and 1/4 cup blueberries

Meal 2: Chocolate chili over zucchini noodles

Cucumber noodles with mayo. That was really good.

This meal was so good. When I first made the chili I didn't like it. But then today I added some home made ketchup to it and it was great.

Snack: 1 Lara Bar. ( these may turn out to be my downfall. I am really going to have to limit myself.)

I made a chicken salad, (chopped chicken, dill relish, green onion, mayo, cherry tomatoes) and wrapped it in two Pure Wraps. I put the salad on the wrap and wrapped it up like a burrito. Yummy! There was enough for two. They are superb. I am in love.!

Meal 3: 2 chicken salad wraps

one pluot

club soda with 1 Tbsp cherry juice. (Hope that was compliant)

Day 7:

Well I have completed one week and am really looking forward to the rest of my life.

I enjoy eating this way: discovering new foods, new recipes, reading of others challenges and successes and always learning.

I am happy to say that I have not had any cravings as such. I used to be a Diet Coke fan. There is a McDonald's in town that I drive by on my way to town at least three times a week. They are offering any soda for $1.00. And I have been having one every time I go to town. Or at least I used to. Now when I pass that corner the car just wants to turn into their parking lot, but I AM STRONG, HEAR ME ROAR and I hold tight to the wheel and manage to pass it up. That is the only challenge I have.

Today I went to Whole Foods for the first time. Boy that is really a great store. I spent over an hour there and found things I never new existed. Have you heard of Jujubes? NO, I DON'T MEAN THE BOXES OF CANDY YOU GET AT THE THEATERS.

The Jujube tree was domesticated in South Asia in approximately 9000 BC. It bears a small fruit with the taste somewhat similar to an apple and the same texture. The fruits are used in Chinese and Korean traditional medicine, where they are believed to alleviate stress, and traditionally for anti-fungal, antibacterial, anti-ulcer, anti-inflammatory, sedative, anti-spastic, anti-fertility/contraception, hypotensive and anti-nephritic, cardiotonic, antioxidant, immunostimulant, and wound healing properties. Apparently they think it is good for everything. I don't know about that, but they sure are good. I assume they are compliant. Maybe some moderator can confirm that, or not.

Whole Foods also was giving samples of Sun Tropics brand of Coconut juice. The ingredients are Coconut juice and coconut pulp. I am hoping some moderator can confirm that this is compliant, because I bought 4 cans.

I have been feeling really good today. Mentally alert and raring to go. Now if only my body would keep up everything would be great.

Two days ago I got out the crock pot and put in 4 frozen round steaks, 1/2 a head of cabbage, bok choy, a can of diced tomatoes, celery, onions, one leek, and beef broth. I let it cook on high for 48 hours. Really a great stew! Enough to last me several days.

Meal 1: Home made stew (see ingredients above)

Blackberries and coconut cream.

Meal 2: Turkey burger with home made ketchup

Zoodles sauteed in Ghee

Soda water

Meal 3: Egg Casserole

Mixed fruit with Coconut milk

Green Beans and onions sauteed in Coconut oil.

Coconut Juice

Snack: small handful mixed nuts.

All in all the end of a very successful week.

Day 8:

Well today I started my second week and I am looking forward to it. This was an interesting day. I finished cleaning out my cupboards. I still had flour, quinoa, sugar, brown sugar, splenda, boxes of cereal, and lots of boxed dinners and canned goods. I called my future grand daughter-in-law to see if she wanted to come and see if she wanted any of it. She just moved into an apartment for the first time and I thought she could use some groceries. She and my grand son came over and looked at it like they had hit the jack pot. My entire dining room table was covered with stuff that I will never eat again. I told her why I was getting rid of it and she was so thrilled. I have been eating this way for a week and have had no one to talk to who understands. She totally understands and in fact was very familiar with the Paleo program. We talked for hours about the advantages of eating like this. In the end she and Jeff boxed up all the items. I was really happy to see them get used. I sure didn't want them to be thrown away.

Meal 1:

Beef stew

1/2 banana

Myan Spice Cocoa tea

Snack:

1/2 banana

Meal 2:

Two tuna salad curry wraps. (Tuna Fish, mayo, dill relish, cherry tomatoes wrapped in a Curry Pure Wrap)

Cinnamon roasted sweet potatoes with Ghee

Kombucha

Grapes.

Snack:

1 banana

Meal 3:

Egg casserole

Zoodles with mayo

Hibiscus Kombucha

All in all it was a great day. And I can already see the results. I have more energy and generally feel good about life in general.

Day 9:

Meal 1:

Primal Hot Cereal

Sweet Potato Fritters with Appleauce

1/2 Avocado

Meal 2:

Chicken Apple Sausage

Chocolate Chili

Raw baby carrots/ cherry tomatoes/ grapes

Snack:

Peach

Meal 3:

Egg Sausage Casserole

Sauteed onion and mushrooms

1/2 avocdo

Snack:

Lemon Larabar

Lots of mixed nuts

Sooo Nancy, how do you like the Myan Spice Cocoa Tea? Sounds really yummy.

Congratulations on Day 9 - I hit a rough spot with my digestion a day or so ago but feel so much better now. I'm with you, this is an awesome way to live, right?

Hi Nshepardson.....Yes I agree that this is an awesome way to live. But Last night after dinner I sat down t read after the dogs went to bed. That is my time: Put the dogs to bed and get my latest book and spend a few hours reading. I had the munchies: NO I wasn't hungry just craving munchies. So I grabbed the nuts and dried fruit. and I ate WAY too much. It was so good. But I realize that I was falling into old habits. At least the food was compliant. But all night I had cramps and the dreaded big D. Up half the night running back and forth between the bed and bathroom. But as usual against better wishes I was up at 7:00 AM

So I decided to give my stomach a rest today.

Meal 1:

2 soft boiled eggs with mayo

1/2 banana

herbal tea

Meal 2:

Beef stew

roasted sweet potatoes with Ghee

soda water mixed with Kombucha (can't stand the stuff by itsef but mixed with soda water it is OK)

Snack:

mixed fruit with coconut cream.

Meal 3:

2 eggs scrambled with ground turkey, chili spices,, spinach and ketchup

All wrapped in two Pure Wraps ( they are my new favorite)

Mixed fruit with coconut cream

Snack"

small handful cashews

Hi Nancy,

When you're saying cucumber noodles with mayo (in one of your earlier meals) did you just julienne the cucumber? Also how did you prepare the sweet potato fritters, they sound delicious!

Hi Tasha, Yes I used the julienne cutter on the cucumbers and added mayo. Really good.

The sweet potato fritters are easy and SO good.

Grate one sweet potato. I used a box grater. (I suppose you could use a food processor, but I have never tried that.) Mix it with 2 beaten eggs. Add cinnamon. And fry in Coconut oil or clarified butter. I serve mine with unsweetened applesauce. I got four fritters out of it, but I guess that depends on the size of the sweet potato. You could always double the recipe for a family. When my husband was still alive one of the things he loved was potato pancakes. This is the same thing except made with sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes, and called fritters.

I hope you like them. They have been my breakfast go-to item lots of times.

Day 11:

Today was a good day for me.

Meal 1:

Breakfast Granola

Hot tea

Snack:

More herbal tea

Meal 2:

Beef stew

Strawberries with coconut cream

Snack:

Small slice of watermelon

Meal 3:

Roast chicken

steamed broccoli with clarified butter

sauteed onions

Snack:

a few pistachios

Hi Nancy,

I'm new on this forum, and I just wanted to chime in with the following: You Are Awesome. My family pretty much throws in the towel in their 60s, healthwise, and to read about you at 79-years-old taking charge of your health and trying new things is HUGELY inspirational. Keep those posts coming!

Best,

Ceanothus

Archived