Nancy's Whole 30 log

Nancy   H.

Nan and ceanothus.....thanks for the kind words. My thought is that you only have one life to live and I want to make the most of it. I destroyed my body for so many years with all sorts of diets and junk food that I figured that it is never too late to try to correct SOME if the damage years have done.

Today I work up feeling good. I slept for 6 hours straight last night. That is very unusual for me. I usually get up for a bathroom trip every two hours. So to sleep 6 hours was a true pleasure.

I also discovered something yesterday. I was so hooked on International Brand French Vanilla instant coffee. I would have two cups every morning in my big coffee mug. Well, when I gave up coffee and turned to herbal tea I just could not quite get used to it. After several days I started to like it but something was still not quite right. Then I remembered I had some coffee cups that were delicate and thin with a small handle on the side and flowers on it. Yesterday I made my tea in it and ...............are you ready?..........lo and behold it was like I was at high tea minus the little finger sandwiches.. For some reason the tea tastes so much better in a tea cup than it does in a big thick mug. Who would have thought that something as simple as the container could alter the entire experience. Now I really like tea and have it quite often during the day.

Just a little food for thought.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 12:

My life is improving. Last night I slept for 6 hours straight. That is unusual for me as I usually make a bathroom trip every 2 hours. I went to bed at 10 and slept till 4 AM. Then went back to sleep for another 3 hours. Woke up ready and rarin' to go. Had a super breakfast. I sauteed some heirloom tomatoes and avocado in with 2 eggs and onions.

Meal 1:

Scrambled 2 eggs in coconut oil with onions,

heirloom tomatoes and avocado.

Herbal tea.

Snack: Black coffee

It is the first coffee I have had since I started W30. I was addicted to International Brand French Vanilla coffee. It has so many ingredients that I cannot even pronounce them all. But the black coffee really tasted good. I guess I am going to have to get out my coffee machine. I put it away thinking I wouldn't need it for awhile.

Had an appointment in town and then a few errands to run so I didn't get home until 3 PM. I was so hungry I was tempted to eat a Larabar. But I did not. I had some left over egg casserole

Meal 2:

Egg/sausage casserole

2 chicken/apple sausages with homemade ketchup.

Plout

Soda water

Meal 3:

Spring Squash soup. (this is really good !)

4 ounce of roast chicken

Nectarine and cashews.

Another day of compliance. And I am enjoying it. Who knew I could live without my Diet Coke or me International coffee?

Day 13:

Well I didn't sleep very well last night but still woke up full of energy.

I dusted, vacuumed and cleaned the kitchen all before 10 AM.

Then it was time for breakfast.

Meal 1:

2 deviled eggs

10 raspberries

Myan Cocoa Spice tea

Snack

Coffee with Vanilla extract

Meal 2:

3 ozs. chicken sauteed in Ghee with

1/2 of an onion, 1 stalk celery and compliant tomato juice. (Just enough to moisten it all.)

I was about of mayo so I decided it was time to make some more. I used Melissa's recipe except I doubled it and used 2 cups of Extra light olive oil. I also used the immersion blender. It was so fast and no drizzling in the olive oil. It made 2 cups of mayo. I couldn't believe how easy and fast it came together.

So I should be set for awhile. I really like that stuff.

Snack:

coffee

small handful of fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries) with coconut cream.

Meal 3:

Left over Summer Squash Soup. (I ate it cold and it was very refreshing.)

2 cucumbers made into noodles and served with mayo.

Snack:

4 dried orange slices dipped in sugar free apple butter.

Well, I learned the hard way. I was so smug about having some coffee and really loving it, even black or with coconut milk.

So yesterday I had coffee for breakfast. It was good. I also had another cup about 3 PM. I should have known better. Back when I was drinking Coke I drank the caffeine free as regular Coke at night would keep me awake at night.

So what was I thinking having coffee, not decaffeinated, but regular Yuban? Boy was it good and I enjoyed it to the last drop.

That was at 3 PM. At 11:30 PM not so much. I usually go to bed at 10 PM and get to sleep right away. Not last night.

At 11:30 PM I was still awake. I just figured it was my body adjusting to the new way of eating.

At 1:30 AM and still wide awake it dawned on me that I had coffee at 3 PM. Dang!!!

After 3 1/2 hours lying there I decided to get up and read. In the past on the rare occasion when could not sleep I would grab the latest book I was reading, pour a nice glass of red wine and read for an hour. That put me to sleep and I would be out for the rest of the night. But since I was not going to have wine I grabbed a Cherry LaraBar and read for an hour. Then I was finally able to get some sleep.

The lesson learned:

Coffee is good first thing in the morning.

Coffee is bad after 10 AM,

Day 14:

I'm surprised I made it through the day after so little sleep last night. But I plugged along and managed to have some decent meals.

Meal 1: 2 eggs scrambled with onions, tomatoes and butternut squash in clarified butter.

Coffee with coconut milk and vanilla extract.

(Butternut squash and tomatoes add a touch of sweetness. Very good. I must remember to get some more.)

Meal 2: Salad made of 2 hard boiled eggs, cooked broccoli, 1 avocado and mayo. Really a good combination

Fruit salad with coconut cream.

Carrot pudding from the recipe on here somewhere. It was tasty and very filling. I could only eat a couple of spoonfuls. (I wonder how it will taste after 24 hours in the fridge.)

Meal 3: Shredded Brussel sprouts and sliced onions sauteed in clarified butter.

Cold summer squash soup. Boy I really love that soup.

Soda Water.

No coffee today. I'll try it again tomorrow morning, but definitely none after noon.

Day 15:

Meal 1 Cantaloup

coffee

Primal cereal with coconut milk and blueberries

Meal 2: 1 1/2 cups chocolate chili served over

1 huge zucchini shredded into noodles.

1/2 apple

1 Tbsp Almond butter

Soda water

Meal 3: 6 oz. wild caught salmon filet

broccoli with mayo

soda water.

Day 16:

Well today was not a good day for me. I was going to spend the day grocery shopping and then have a cooking marathon. But I didn't count on my body failing me. I was in quite a bit of pain most of the day. I did manage to get the shopping done, but by the tine the groceries were put away I knew there was no way I would be able to stand in the kitchen for hours cooking. I did manage to get a pork roast in the crock pot for pulled pork later in the week. I spent most of the day resting. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Meal 1: Beef Vegetable stew

Small slice cantaloup with mayo

herbal tea

snack: small handful green grapes

Meal 2: Hot Spring Squash soup with chicken

2 deviled eggs

raw zoodles,,,(these are the skin from a large Zucchini that I made into noodles. A really great snack.)

Meal 3: three eggs scrambled with onion, heirloom tomatoes and kale

broccoli with mayo

1/2 avocado.

soda water.

tomorrow will be better.

Day 17:

Meal 1: Small slice of Cantaloup

two hard boiled eggs

(I can't wait to get my microwave egg cooker)

Meal 2: Salad with chicken, mixed fruit, butter leaf lettuce and dressing

I made with mayo, Coconut milk and Balsamic vinegar. Very good.

Spring Squash Soup with extra chicken

Orange water

Meal 3: Grilled rib Eye steak

cauliflower-carrot puree

green beans.

Orange water

Nancy you are doing sooooo GREAT!!!!! Keep it up, each day gets better and better. I too am waiting for my microwave egg cooker. Can't wait till it arrives!!!!

Stay strong!!!!! :-). Before you know it, day 30 will be here and it almost won't even matter that it finally arrived, because you just can't imagine going back to old habits.

Nancy you are doing sooooo GREAT!!!!! Keep it up, each day gets better and better. I too am waiting for my microwave egg cooker. Can't wait till it arrives!!!!

Stay strong!!!!! :-). Before you know it, day 30 will be here and it almost won't even matter that it finally arrived, because you just can't imagine going back to old habits.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. No matter how well I do I can always use a friendly word, I love your name. How I would love a quiche right now. that was my favorite breakfast whenever we would go out for breakfast..

I am so disappointed in my dinner last night. I had gone to the store and bought a rather expensive Rib Eye steak It was almost a pound.

So I cut it in half, froze one half and prepared to cook the other one. Well it has been so long since I have had a steak I was really looking forward to the "pink in the middle" juice steak. I grilled it like I have always done in the past with good results. But not this time. It was tough. I couldn't even finish it. I guess I will have to save my steak eating for the time I go out to eat. Let the chef do the work.

But I did have an excellent side dish. I made mashed cauliflower/carrot puree. It was delicious.

I have some Cream of Broccoli soup on the stove for tonight. I'll let you know later if it was a success.

I am so disappointed in my dinner last night. I had gone to the store and bought a rather expensive Rib Eye steak It was almost a pound.

So I cut it in half, froze one half and prepared to cook the other one. Well it has been so long since I have had a steak I was really looking forward to the "pink in the middle" juice steak. I grilled it like I have always done in the past with good results. But not this time. It was tough. I couldn't even finish it. I guess I will have to save my steak eating for the time I go out to eat. Let the chef do the work.

But I did have an excellent side dish. I made mashed cauliflower/carrot puree. It was delicious.

I have some Cream of Broccoli soup on the stove for tonight. I'll let you know later if it was a success.

It's okay Nancy. I've done the same thing. You are just out of practice. :)

This might help. I made this video showing how I get the perfect steak even with grass fed or tougher cuts. I don't even own steak knives cause it's always right. Anyway hope it helps. Good luck

Holy moly complication!

Day 18:

Well this has been an interesting journey for me. I started out with great exceptions. And for the most part they have been met. I am eating so healthy and really enjoying it. I've met many friendly folk through these threads and as well as lots of recipes. I really look forward to trying more of them. I have not noticed any difference in my health. My Arthritis is just as bad as ever and it hinders my ability to stand for very long at ay one time. That makes it difficult to do a Sunday Marathon of cooking meals for the next week,

But that doesn't worry me. Since I live alone and cook for myself I am able to do the cooking a little bit at a time.

I have not had any cravings for anything. The one thing I do miss is my Diet Coke. I was really addicted to that. McDonald's is having a special in offering any size soft drink for $1.00. So I have been frequenting their store on a daily basis. (I should say I WAS frequenting their store).

I am still looking for something to take its place. I have been drinking a lot of water and recently I have been putting a slice of lemon, orange and lime in the gallon jug and letting it steep. It is very refreshing.

Meal 1: two eggs scrambled in coconut oil with

onions, heirloom tomatoes and avocado.

Snack: 1/2 orange

tea

Meal 2: Bratwurst sauteed in coconut oil and

BBQ sauce

Cauliflower/carrot puree

Green beans with Ghee

Orange Water

Snack: Banana in Almond butter

Meal 3: Cream of Broccoli Soup

Tuna/Egg Curry Wrap up

(1 can Skipjack tuna, 1 hard boiled egg, dill relish, mayo) wrapped in

Curry Pure Wrap

Coconut Manna with chopped pecans and cinnamon.

Orange water

Archived