Nancy's Whole 30 log

Nancy   H.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nancy, I love the way you get such variety into your meals, especially veggies. My hubby has arthritis and problems with his hips too. I've been reading your posts to him (he's computer illiterate), he's enjoying them as much as I am. He asked me yesterday how it is you keep going with this way of eating, even if you're still having problems with some pain when standing. I told him I'd ask you! So I am.

I agree with everyone else who is following your food log, you are truly an inspiration!

Day 19:

Hi Nan,

In answer to your question about why I am still doing this when I still have pain. I didn't go into this to alleviate my pain. I have had it for so many years that I have learned to live with it. Although it is getting worse. The medication I take for the pain helps to some degree. (I am on Percocet, 2 tabs, 3 times a day) The pain is caused partly by Arthritis and partly by several disks in my spine that have collapsed, and partly due to a fall I had two years ago.

I started this eating program because I wanted to get healthier in general. And that I have done. I feel so much better, I'm sleeping better, my moods are much more stable. and when I am not in pain, I have much more energy. Even my dogs are happier. I don't know how that applies to this, but they seem happier.

Is your husband following the W30 also? I'm not saying it would help with his pain, but it would be good for him in general, plus I have been eating better than I have in years. No more junk food, definitely no more carageenan (I know I spelled that wrong), no more Diet Coke (Sigh!!) But look at the good food I am eating: lots of fresh vegetables, steaks, pork chops, salmon, tuna, crab, fresh in season fruits and a assortment of nuts and nut butters. There is nothing like an apple slice dipped in Almond butter. YUM!

I hope this answers your husbands question. Now to my day.

I have not had any appetite today for some reason. I almost have to force myself to eat.

Meal 1:

Tuna/egg salad wrapped in

Curry Pure Wrap.

1 small slice cantaloup

Meal 2:

two eggs scrambled with sausage,

spinach, sweet potatoes in Ghee

5 strawberries

Snack:

1/2 apple dipped in Cashew Butter

Meal 3:

Pulled Pork in BBQ sauce served over

Zucchini noodles sauteed in Ghee

5 grapes, 1 Kiwi

Day 19:

Hi Nan,

In answer to your question about why I am still doing this when I still have pain. I didn't go into this to alleviate my pain. I have had it for so many years that I have learned to live with it. Although it is getting worse. The medication I take for the pain helps to some degree. (I am on Percocet, 2 tabs, 3 times a day) The pain is caused partly by Arthritis and partly by several disks in my spine that have collapsed, and partly due to a fall I had two years ago.

I started this eating program because I wanted to get healthier in general. And that I have done. I feel so much better, I'm sleeping better, my moods are much more stable. and when I am not in pain, I have much more energy. Even my dogs are happier. I don't know how that applies to this, but they seem happier.

Is your husband following the W30 also? I'm not saying it would help with his pain, but it would be good for him in general, plus I have been eating better than I have in years. No more junk food, definitely no more carageenan (I know I spelled that wrong), no more Diet Coke (Sigh!!) But look at the good food I am eating: lots of fresh vegetables, steaks, pork chops, salmon, tuna, crab, fresh in season fruits and a assortment of nuts and nut butters. There is nothing like an apple slice dipped in Almond butter. YUM!

I hope this answers your husbands question. Now to my day.

What a great post. Thanks so much for your reply to my DH's question. I'm sorry to hear about the disks in your spine. My husband commented and I quote ,"And I thought I had it bad!". I believe your response is going to help motivate him to get on board with the Whole30 program. I am so grateful to know you and to have an opportunity to follow your progress!

And yes, I second that YUM for apples dipped in almond butter!

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my DH's question.

Day 20:

I have been busy for two days making Chicken soup. Well, I shouldn't say busy because the crock pot did all the work. I just cut up the cabbage, carrots, chicken, celery, tomatoes, etc . but I had it today and it was great. And there is so much it will last me a good long time. Even put half in the freezer.

My blood sugar is still way too high. It has been for a year or more. I thought eating like this would lower it, and it has, just not enough. I think maybe I am eating too any fruits. I'll have to watch that.

Meal 1:

Two soft boiled eggs (in my new microwave cooker !)

Spring Squash soup

1/2 slice of cantaloup

Meal 2:

Home made chicken vegetable soup.

1/2 cup mixed fruit with coconut cream

Snack:

Orange water

small handful of cashews

Meal 3:

Cream of Broccoli soup with coconut creamm

butter leaf salad with two hard boiled eggs,

cherry tomatoes, snap peas, home made dressing with

coconut milk and balsamic vinegar

Nancy have you tried club soda/seltzer water as a replacement for your diet coke? I find I enjoy the bubbles ;). When I'm not w30ing I will add splashes of juice to the top (prob less that 1/8th of a cup, just a two second splash) and that tastes great-- orange, apple, apple with lime (this is delicious and almost tastes like a cocktail!) cranberry, grape, anything you could think of. I do thisin place of the pop I would have drank in thepast. Also if after your w30 you want to get off diet coke but still want one now and again, try cuttingly half and half with club soda, and then wean your way down to a splash. I am positive when you taste full strength coke after this you will find it much too sweet!

Nancy google for a recipe for Sassy Water. From memory it has cucumber, lemon/limes and ginger. It is really refreshing and tasty.

In my list of edibles for the 30 day challenge there is no canteloupe, and it is recommended that fruit should be minimal and preferably berries. Try to lchoose low sugar fruits to help with your high blood sugar.

Lorraine and Tasha, I have been drinking soda water and find that is is OK. Lorraine, thanks for the clue abut cantaloup. I had not read that list lately, So no more cantaloup.

Another thing I have done is into a gallon jug of water I put a slice of orange lemon and lime and let it steep. that makes a good drink. that is what I mean when I have said in the past "orange water".

Edited 10/5 After hearing from a moderator about the cantaloup I will keep it on my list. She said it is definitely OK

Your doing great, I just hope it helps.

Well I cooked a Rib Eye with your instructions today. It was very tender and tasty. The only problem was that it was only less than a half inch thick and reached the internal temperature of 140 by the time it was browned. I did put it in the over for one minute and it was great. I would h ave like it a little more rare. Next time I'll get a thicker steak.

Day 21:

When I first started this program I looked at it as though it was for 30 days only. But that has changed. Now I think of it a a new way of life. I am getting healthier; I feel better; my skin is smoother and my moods are definitely better. I don't have any cravings, because whenever I do something I do it all the way. It never dawned on me to eat something non compliant. At least knowingly. I have been finding more recipes here that are great then I ever dreamed possible. I love reading the logs of other folk and see how they are doing.

Tonight I'm feeling a little tired; don't know why as I didn't do much today. Well I did take my Standard Poodle to the groomers across town and then had to go back and pick him up. That was an hour and a half each time. But he looks beautiful. I was ready to eat my rib Eye steak when they called and told me he was ready. So I only had a salad for lunch and then the steak at 3PM. Needless to say, I wasn't too hungry for dinner. But anyway here is my day worth of meals:

Meal 1:

Pulled pork with BBQ sauce

Blueberries and raspberries with coconut cream

Meal 2:

Butter leaf salad with marinated beets, mushrooms,

cherry tomatoes and home made dressing

Snack or finish of meal 2:

Grilled Rib eye Steak

Meal 3:

Two hard boiled eggs mixed with sausage that had been browned in ghee

mixed with dill relish and mayo

Cream of Broccoli soup

one apple with Macadamia nut butter

Now I am off to make non-dairy creamer for my coffee tomorrow.

(All compliant !)

Day 21:

When I first started this program I looked at it as though it was for 30 days only. But that has changed. Now I think of it a a new way of life. I am getting healthier; I feel better; my skin is smoother and my moods are definitely better.

(All compliant !)

Can I get an AMEN! Congratulations on 21 Days and on your "new way of life."

Day 22:

This was a weird morning. I made some porridge for breakfast. but I could only eat 1/2 cup full. It was not as good as it sounded in the recipe. So then I ate an egg wrap.

Meal 1:

1/2 cup Breakfast Porridge

2 hard boiled eggs mixed with dill relish and mayo wrapped

in a lettuce leaf.

I had some errands to run. I went to the library to return some books, then to the recycle center to take my cardboard and plastic bottles, and then to the health food store to get some more coconut milk. But by the time I got home I was so exhausted I needed comfort food. And I found it in the back of the fridge. Spring Squash Soup. It was so creamy and thick and filled with such good stuff including bits of chicken from the roast the other day. It really made me feel loved and comforted.

Meal 2:

Spring Squash Soup

Marinated beets

chicken salad wrapped in a lettuce leaf.

A very satisfying meal.

then I took a long nap.

Snack:

two Pluots

Meal 3:

two eggs scrambled with heirloom tomatoes and sausage

Cauliflower/Carrol Puree

1/2 avocado

Hi Nancy, I'm Emily. I just caught up on your log; you sound awesome! I've had "teacup" moments myself... in fact through the Whole30 I've become much more aware of presentation of food in general. I'm sorry to hear about your arthritis but you sound like you have learned to deal with it. Finally, I laughed about your dog(s?) being happier... ours like it when we do Whole30s because they get broccoli in with their dog food! :wub:

Keep on, your meals sound fantastic!

Day 23:

Hi Emily, thanks for the support. Yes, my dogs also like broccoli.

Meal 1:

Two Prosciutto Muffins ( these are great !)

coffee with Primal non dairy creamer. (This is worth the effort to make)

Meal 2:

Chicken Vegetable soup

Mixed fresh fruit with coconut cream

Cinnamon butternut squash

Snack:

Small handful of cashews

Meal 3:

Chicken salad (roast chicken, celery, 3 grapes, mayo)

Roasted cold sweet potato with cinnamon

1/4 avocado

1/4 stalk of celery with Almond butter

Day 24:

This is weird. When I first started this (Sept 15th) I put my scale in the closet. I was previously so consumed with my weight that I weighed my self every morning after I went to the bathroom and before I got dressed. I wanted to weigh as little as possible. I had lost 30 lbs on the Atkins program, but I knew I was not eating right. I wanted to get healthy and generally feel better.

So anyway, I hid my scale and have not weighed myself since Sept 15th. I figured that if I was going to do this at all I was going to do it the right way. (I guess I have to admit that there is a little OCD in there somewhere.)

Well this morning as I was sitting on my bed pulling my jeans on I looked at my ankles. They looked so skinny. I couldn't believe it. I am so wanting to get out the scales, but It will have to wait. But I know I have lost weight. But that is not the important thing. The most important thing is that I feel so much better, my moods are much more even, and I am not ever hungry. I have never had any cravings. (There goes the OCD again)

I am usually in so much pain due to Arthritis and my back problem that I take two Percocet at 9 AM, then another two around 3PM, and then another to around 9PM. that gets me through the day. But today I was busy on the computer and paying bills that I didn't even notice that I had not had any pills and by then it was 4PM. I don't know if that's going to be the nor now, but I will be happy for it as long as it lasts.

Meal 1:

Two prosciutto muffins

coffee with Primal non dairy creamer.

Meal 2:

Grass fed beef burger with

BBQ sauce

marinated beets

cauliflower/carrot puree

herbal tea

Snack:

small handful pecans

sassy water with two frozen raspberries

Meal 3:

three soft boiled eggs

broccoli with mayo

cinnamon butternut squash

1/2 banana with almond butter.

Another good day.

Day 25:

I did not sleep well last night at all. It was cold and I kept waking up to go to the bathroom. Then when I got back in bed I was cold again. It was my own fault for leaving all the windows open thinking I needed fresh air. DUMB!! :blink:

I also kept getting leg cramps. Does that have anything to do with this eating program? I know that if potassium it low it could cause leg cramps. but I don't know what foods other than bananas are loaded with potassium. Any suggestions?

Also the pain in my back is back with a vengeance. So I am back taking Percocet when I need it. I am definitely not going to go all day like I did yesterday. My body just seems to know that I need it even when I don't.

Meal 1:

Two Prosciutto muffins

Pumpkin Apples (so good :) )

Coffee with Primal non-dairy creamer

Meal 2:

SB&J Burger cooked in Coconut oil. (Sunbutter, peach jam {three slices of frozen peaches with cinnamon, ginger lemon juice cooked till thick and soft} then topped onto a grass fed beef burger with Sunbutter.

Burger, then Sunbutter, then Peach jam. It was so very good. :P

1/2 avocado

Sassy water

Snack:

Hard boiled with Cashew butter

Meal 3:

Pork steak cooked in the crock pot with sauerkraut, onions and and apple with some Ghee

Cinnamon butternut squash with Ghee

Today I am going to eat dinner at 6 PM and nothing more until AM. Maybe that will help me sleep better.

Also I am going to take a pain pill before I go to bed. Maybe I can knock myself out. ;)

I copied this list from another site, the far right column is mg of Potassium:

Apricots, dried 10 halves 407

Avocados, raw 1 ounce 180

Bananas, raw 1 cup 594

Beets, cooked 1 cup 519

Brussel sprouts, cooked 1 cup 504

Cantaloupe 1 cup 494

Dates, dry 5 dates 271

Figs, dry 2 figs 271

Kiwi fruit, raw 1 medium 252

Lima beans 1 cup 955

Melons, honeydew 1 cup 461

I don't know if potassium is why you are getting cramps though.

That is FABULOUS about the pain meds! I hope it continues! And cool skinny moment! :)

Hi Nancy,

When I was pregnant I would get the worst leg cramps at night! 2 things that work are drinking more and taking magnesium (you can even get magnesium salts to put in a warm bath). Have you been drinking lots of water? Try those and see if they work!

Hi Nancy,

When I was pregnant I would get the worst leg cramps at night! 2 things that work are drinking more and taking magnesium (you can even get magnesium salts to put in a warm bath). Have you been drinking lots of water? Try those and see if they work!

Thanks Tasha....I have been drinking a lot of water so I will try the magnesium.

Thanks Emily....I didn't realize all those had a large amount of potassium

Day 26:

Boy I did not want to get out of bed this morning. My bed felt soooo good. That could be because I kept all the windows closed last night, so the house stayed some what comfortable. Today was a good day. I got some cooking done for the next week, got a hair cut, cleaned the house. My energy level was pretty high so I made good use of that fact. Sometimes my appetite is not very good. It seems I have to force myself to eat. but I do and manage to get in all the good stuff.

I had an appointment (hair cut) at 1 PM and had to run some errands before so I knew I would have to pack a lunch. It's the first time I have packed a lunch since my kids were in school. And that was a LONG time ago. Anyway, I made an egg salad with 2 hard boiled eggs, mayo and dill relish. I also took some pumpkin and apple mixture. that stuff is so good I feel like I am eating a good pudding.

Meal 1:

Two eggs scrambled in coconut oil with mushrooms, onions,

An heirloom tomato and 1/2 avocado

Meal 2:

Two hard boiled eggs mixed with mayo and dill relish

pumpkin/apple mix

15 black grapes

Snack:

10 grapes

Meal 3:

Two Prosciutto muffins

Cauliflower/carrot puree

Marinated beets

Two strawberries

Sassy Water

Day 27:

Only three more days. What then??? I don't really know what I am going to do with this new found knowledge.

Eat as I have been? Slowly add one thing at a time that I have not had for 30 days? Go back to my overcarbsumption way of life? (NEVER)

And if I add one thing at a time.....where do I start? So many decisions. Well anyway, today was good. I slept very well last night and got a lot accomplished today. Not in too much pain today so that helps.

Meal 1:

Chicken soup with carrots, cabbage, mushrooms

five grapes

two cups of coffee with Primal non dairy creamer

Snack:

1/2 cup mix of fresh fruit with coconut milk

Meal 2:

Pulled Pork in BBQ sauce

Salad with hard boiled egg, mushrooms,

heirloom tomatoes avocado in Balsamic/olive oil dressing

Meal 3:

Left over crock pot pork steak with sauerkraut, apples

Broccoli with mayo

Day 28:

Meal 1:

One Prosciutto Muffin

Apple Pumpkin pudding

Coffee with Primal Non-Dairy creamer

Meal 2:

Chicken soup with carrots, cabbage, ushrooms

Broccoli with hard boiled mixed with mayo

Sassy water

Snack:

1 cup fresh mixed fruit with coconut milk

Meal 3:

Cottage Flower Pie

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/12/28/paleo-comfort-food-cottage-flower-pie/

Sassy water

small handful of grapes

Hey Nancy-sorry to hear about your leg cramps. I hope the magnesium is helping.

I feel the same way about the 30 day mark, what's next, right? Like you, I really enjoy eating this way. What's really cool is knowing that I can now start experimenting with some foods I haven't been eating during Whole30 to see how I react.

Archived