I need SUPER easy recipe suggestions.

newwhole30er

So after a very successful Whole30 (which actually turned into a Whole45), my reintroduction became a months-long junk fest. :( I am so ready to get back on the bandwagon now, especially as I see so clearly how these food impact my mood and energy. Which is a HUGE victory for me - wanting to eat healthy to feel good, not to lose weight!

Anyway, my biggest struggle with the Whole30 is all the cooking and meal prep. Eating out is generally not an option for me, and I also don't have very many convenience items to use- I keep kosher, so I can't use things like Applegate hot dogs or even prepared sausages. The only kosher protein sources I have available where I live are ground meat, chicken, salmon, and canned tuna.

I would love ideas of SUPER easy things I can make. I don't need or want gourmet cooking, I just want yummy meals that can be made quickly.

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators

Have you checked out the weekly cookup idea? The idea is, you prep a bunch of stuff on the weekend (or whenever you have a few hours to spend in the kitchen), and then you mix and match protein and vegetables.

I like these salmon cakes, and they freeze well, so you could make up a double batch to have some on hand for later. I've never tried them, but there's a spicy tuna cakes recipe that I know people like too. Ground beef is very versatile. A lot of times, I just brown a pound or two at the beginning of the week with some onions, garlic, salt, and pepper, and then I can just grab some for meals and reheat it -- sometimes I'll stirfry it with vegetables, or mix it into soups, or just use it to top a salad. But you could also make meatballs, or season it in different ways, or use it to make chili. 

During 3+ years of W30-ish eating, I've streamlined my food prep and developed some routines to keep it simple. I make it a point to try a new recipe a few times a month, but the bottom line is: Healthy meals don't have to be "gourmet" nor to they require hours of post-meal cleanup.

Most meals at our house are quick and easy...and tasty. I try to keep on hand a variety of raw and steam-sauteed vegetables and one or two pre-cooked proteins. I'm fortunate to have the time to devote to prepping meals for the week.

Even when I have nothing prepped in advance, I can usually get a compliant meal on the table without too much trouble.

I keep chicken tenderloins, ground beef patties, and fish fillets in the freezer; they are quick to thaw and cook. I usually season them with a spice blend and pan-fry them compliant oil. I always have mixed vegetables in the freezer and canned green beans in the pantry. With ghee and seasoning, a template meal is realatively easy.

I guess my point is this: it's more about method than "recipes." Planning is an important skill to practice.

Good luck!

I can second the tuna cakes that Shannon mentioned. They're awesome.

I really like taco salads. Really simple.

I made a spicy green sauce with jalapeños, cilantro, lime juice and garlic that goes great with all kinds and cuts of chicken!!

I, too, am kosher, and have just started the program.  I grilled a whole side of salmon and a lot of tilapia and froze it all in portions.  I used mostly dairy dishes etc before, and now suddenly everything seems to be meat!  My husband still wants his coffee with milk in the morning, and now I have all this "meat" fish...

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes with my breakfast I will sauté apples in ghee after a few minutes I add some cinnamon and a sprinkle of ground almonds. I can't believe this is something I really enjoy. My old self would have needed the apples in a butter drenched pie crust topped with ice cream.

I know you were looking for protein suggestions but so far this is my favorite thing to make. good luck!!

Sometimes with my breakfast I will sauté apples in ghee after a few minutes I add some cinnamon and a sprinkle of ground almonds. I can't believe this is something I really enjoy. My old self would have needed the apples in a butter drenched pie crust topped with ice cream.

I know you were looking for protein suggestions but so far this is my favorite thing to make. good luck!!

Yeah this sounds good. Not a template meal but super yummy. :3

Sauteed apples in ghee sounds great as a side dish on a chilly day. Do you just slice the apples or do you chop them up or what?

I peel the apple then slice and I only sauté on med till the tenderness I want then at the last few seconds I sprinkle with cinnamon...if not it will burn then I add ground almonds...almost ground to a flour. Eating it is almost like eating pie its pretty satisfying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

For breakfast I'm alternating hash recipes. When I get up I have to take some meds and wait a bit before eating, so I typically have my coffee to wake up (I do coffee with the meds, yes) and then make a "hash" out of something -- which I can have for breakfast or, if there are leftovers, with a lunch/dinner.

Sometimes I make classic hash browns -- diced white potatoes (I try to max 1/2 cup of those per serving b/c I have weight to lose), peppers, onions, tossed in olive oil and spices (cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper) and cooked at 400 for about 20 minutes. Then I'll throw in some leftover cooked protein at the end and maybe top with a fried egg.  

Another hash I like to make is a sweet potato or butternut squash version. Add your sweet potato or squash to melted coconut oil on the stove top, let it cook for 5-10 minutes, then add in onion/chopped apples OR onion, chopped kale, mushrooms OR mushrooms, onions, peppers. Anyway, depending on if you want to slant this sweet/hot vs. "Italian"/savory adjust your spices. This hash is good with some breakfast sausage (keep some pre-cooked) or leftover meats. Or you can cook turkey breakfast sausage (1 1lb. tube), remove, finish the hash, and have a HUGE batch that is freezable.

Also: Make chili. Any paleo chili -- since none have beans, they all freeze fine. Freeze it in mason jars, then you can thaw it in the microwave, top with fresh scallions or cilantro or have with avocado. Maybe with plantain chips, depending on how you interpret their belonging on your Whole 30. Or with some roasted butternut squash with a bit of cumin/chili powder. 

Another option: Buy rotisserie chicken at your nicer grocer (be careful about marinades and which sort of grocer you use). You can always eat a hunk with a salad, or turn into chicken salad with chopped apples, celery, nuts, homemade mayo. If I am really busy or traveling I have pre-cooked chicken heated with Tastybite Eggplant, sold shelf-stable in a pouch. (It has some non-preferred oils but I don't eat this often.)

Do you like shrimp? I make An effort to purchase chemical free and responsibly sourced - like Wellesley farms from BJ's wholesale club. Marinate those babies in olive oil, garlic and hot pepper. Throw them on skewers and grill.

I also love coming home to a crockpot full of beef stew. I take a roast, add beef stock, garlic, salt, pepper and vary the vegetables. Right now, I am favoring sugar pumpkin, butternut squash and turnip. Set it in the morning and come home to a house full of deliciousness.

I've also been messing around with coconut curries. I begin by slicing chicken thin, sautéing in coconut oil.. Then I add garlic, ginger, curry paste or powder and spinach. When it's all beautifully cooked and blended together, I add a can of coconut milk.

My favorite salmon recipe: make a marinade out of olive oil, lemon, basil, salt and pepper. Set the filets in it for a few hours or more. You can grill the filets or bake them in the marinade. Gorgeous!

The fastest and easiest things I make frequently are stir fry and fried cauliflower rice. 

Stir fry - bag of mixed frozen veggies, coconut aminos, garlic, ginger, and protein of choice. I tend to use leftover chicken. Dice it up, throw it all in a big HOT skillet or wok, and toss it around for 5-7 minutes. Done and delicious. Add red pepper flakes if you're into spice.

Fried Caulirice - really similar to chicken fried rice from a chinese takeout.

I buy frozen caulirice at TraderJoes but you can make it with a head of cauli and a food processor. Again, oil a hot skillet or wok, add the "rice", frozen carrots, snap peas, whatever. You can add a scrambled egg too. Season with onion powder, garlic, ginger, and light salt. Add the coconut aminos near the end, along with your fully cooked protein. We like this with chicken or shrimp.

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of great recipes.  We have just finished the Whole30 and feel that it didn't do much for inflammation and digestive problems.  So we are continuing with Whole30 but doing the low FODMAP.  So, anyone have recipes for Whole30 with low FODMAP?

I'm about to start week 4 of my 2nd Whole30 and I really feel like I've got the cooking down at this point. I wanted to share some of what I do in case it helps anyone else.

Breakfast every day is egg salad (make lots of hard boiled eggs at once, use Melissa Joulwan's technique to make peeling easy, make egg salad the night before- it's eggs + mayo + mustard + s&p), cherry tomatoes, and blended vegetable soup (make a huge pot on Sunday, lasts all week).

Lunch every day is grilled chicken breast (grill a bunch at once, I bought a George Forman for this round and it was the BEST purchase) and raw vegetables (whatever you like...cucumber spears, carrot sticks, peppers, tomatoes, etc.) and a dip (paleo dump ranch, olive tapenade, gingery dressing, babaganoush, etc.) - I make the dip on Sunday, enough for the whole week. If you're REALLY short on time just buy the Wholly Guacamole minis from Costco and use those.

I make either Spicy Tuna Cakes / Egg Foo Yong  to keep in the fridge for mini-meals/snacks. Again, I make these on Sunday for the whole week.

And here are some of my favorite easy dinner ideas:

Chocolate chili in the crockpot with spaghetti squash (make ahead and just reheat)

Chicken + sweet potatoes + onions in the crockpot

Hamburgers, roasted veggies, guacamole

Roasted salmon + roasted green beans

Paleo pad thai (ok, this one isn't all that easy, but it's so yummy it's almost worth it to me. The ONLY way I can do this for dinner is if I prep all the elements on Sunday and just throw them together.)

Meatballs and zucchini in the crockpot (with either compliant bought marinara sauce or tomato sauce and spices)

Hope this helps!

How to cook any squash: rinse whole squash. Poke with fork in a few places. Place whole squash on baking sheet into 350 degree oven and roast for an hour. Test for doneness with a knife. Add more baking time if needed until squash feels soft from the outside. Cut open, remove seeds, scoop squash out of skin and cut or mash to desired consistency.

I use Xandra's technique as the spaghetti squashes we get here are so hard they're a bit dangerous to try cutting with a knife (after I broke a knife I've never cut one raw since), but once soft it's sooo easy!

This is a great kitchen hack for those who don't have a lot of strength to cut through heavy skins.

• 3 weeks later...

For breakfast I'm alternating hash recipes. When I get up I have to take some meds and wait a bit before eating, so I typically have my coffee to wake up (I do coffee with the meds, yes) and then make a "hash" out of something -- which I can have for breakfast or, if there are leftovers, with a lunch/dinner.

Sometimes I make classic hash browns -- diced white potatoes (I try to max 1/2 cup of those per serving b/c I have weight to lose), peppers, onions, tossed in olive oil and spices (cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper) and cooked at 400 for about 20 minutes. Then I'll throw in some leftover cooked protein at the end and maybe top with a fried egg.  

Another hash I like to make is a sweet potato or butternut squash version. Add your sweet potato or squash to melted coconut oil on the stove top, let it cook for 5-10 minutes, then add in onion/chopped apples OR onion, chopped kale, mushrooms OR mushrooms, onions, peppers. Anyway, depending on if you want to slant this sweet/hot vs. "Italian"/savory adjust your spices. This hash is good with some breakfast sausage (keep some pre-cooked) or leftover meats. Or you can cook turkey breakfast sausage (1 1lb. tube), remove, finish the hash, and have a HUGE batch that is freezable.

Also: Make chili. Any paleo chili -- since none have beans, they all freeze fine. Freeze it in mason jars, then you can thaw it in the microwave, top with fresh scallions or cilantro or have with avocado. Maybe with plantain chips, depending on how you interpret their belonging on your Whole 30. Or with some roasted butternut squash with a bit of cumin/chili powder. 

Another option: Buy rotisserie chicken at your nicer grocer (be careful about marinades and which sort of grocer you use). You can always eat a hunk with a salad, or turn into chicken salad with chopped apples, celery, nuts, homemade mayo. If I am really busy or traveling I have pre-cooked chicken heated with Tastybite Eggplant, sold shelf-stable in a pouch. (It has some non-preferred oils but I don't eat this often.)

Where can I find compliant turkey sausage in a tube?  I looked in Whole Foods, Earth Fare, Trader Joe's, and Bilo last weekend with no luck.

• Moderators

Where can I find compliant turkey sausage in a tube?  I looked in Whole Foods, Earth Fare, Trader Joe's, and Bilo last weekend with no luck.

It's very difficult to find it and it's impossible for us to tell you where to look because what is available and compliant at one store may not be at a store across the country... 

You're encouraged to always read labels of what you're planning to eat and buy even if you do get a recommendation.

That said, if you can't find it, you can always make sausage yourself... ground meat and sausage seasonings... www.meljoulwan.com has some good recipes.

Archived