I need SUPER easy recipe suggestions.

newwhole30er

I'm on Day 9 and glad that W30 has got me cooking again. Prior to that I was 'assembling and reheating' stuff. Indeed preparation is key, and I've found it therapeutic to be organized and cooking ahead.

Yes, eggs are your friend, so are chicken broth and assorted roast veggies.

Such as:

•  Boiling a week's supply of hardboiled eggs   http://meljoulwan.com/2014/09/08/perfectly-peelable-hard-boiled-eggs/
  •  Roasting spaghetti squash (cut in half), root veggies, brussels sprouts     (olive oil, s&p, roast on 2 trays at 400F for 30-35mins)
  •  Washing/prepping all herbs/garnishes so they're at the ready for any dish - KEY for that extra flavor with simple dishes. (cilantro, mint, parsley)
  •  Chicken broth (Imagine brand) at the ready
  •  Turkey meatballs (any recipe will do) - freeze them
  •   - As needed, reheat frozen meatballs in broth with roasted veggies for a quick meal am or pm, garnish with cilantro
  •   Or reheat veggies in a frying pan with some broth, lay fish fillet on top, garnish and devour!

Hope I didn't get too carried away. I'm finding so many permutations just by having all the basics prepped and ready to go!

Enjoy!          

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

It helps to create a bunch of spice rubs ready to cook your chicken breast or a fillet of fish fast.

It also helps to have a basic tomato sauce in hand to add to your potatoes or meats.

Also chuck fish or chicken in a aluminium foil with some garlic,lemon and olive oil and bake for 20 minutes in the oven.You can add the veggis in the same pouch.

regards

Foodcow

www.foodcow.org

I'm about to start week 4 of my 2nd Whole30 and I really feel like I've got the cooking down at this point. I wanted to share some of what I do in case it helps anyone else.

Breakfast every day is egg salad (make lots of hard boiled eggs at once, use Melissa Joulwan's technique to make peeling easy, make egg salad the night before- it's eggs + mayo + mustard + s&p), cherry tomatoes, and blended vegetable soup (make a huge pot on Sunday, lasts all week).

Lunch every day is grilled chicken breast (grill a bunch at once, I bought a George Forman for this round and it was the BEST purchase) and raw vegetables (whatever you like...cucumber spears, carrot sticks, peppers, tomatoes, etc.) and a dip (paleo dump ranch, olive tapenade, gingery dressing, babaganoush, etc.) - I make the dip on Sunday, enough for the whole week. If you're REALLY short on time just buy the Wholly Guacamole minis from Costco and use those.

I make either Spicy Tuna Cakes / Egg Foo Yong  to keep in the fridge for mini-meals/snacks. Again, I make these on Sunday for the whole week.

And here are some of my favorite easy dinner ideas:

Chocolate chili in the crockpot with spaghetti squash (make ahead and just reheat)

Chicken + sweet potatoes + onions in the crockpot

Hamburgers, roasted veggies, guacamole

Roasted salmon + roasted green beans

Paleo pad thai (ok, this one isn't all that easy, but it's so yummy it's almost worth it to me. The ONLY way I can do this for dinner is if I prep all the elements on Sunday and just throw them together.)

Meatballs and zucchini in the crockpot (with either compliant bought marinara sauce or tomato sauce and spices)

Hope this helps!

Do you by chance have the recipes for all of those?

• 2 weeks later...

Curried chicken salad is great if you have some pulled chicken (or just sauteed chicken breast that you can shred with a fork).  W30 compliant mayo, curry powder, diced onion and also is great to add raisins or diced apple for sweetness.

Chicken seasons with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder and then sauteed with a mixture of roasted red peppers and mushrooms is delicious and simple. Throw in some roasted veggies and you are good to go.

I just started making a delicious salad dressing that saved me from going off the deep end.  Here's my tricks:

-I use a Sesame basting oil made by Wegmans.  If you are not near a Wegmans- its just sesame oil, garlic, and some other herbs.  

-Pour equal parts of the sesame oil and balsamic into a tupperware for easy use.  Just shake it up and the dressing on your fave salads.

-Add pickled beets to salads.  I roast beets once a week.  Peel and dice and put them in tupperware in fridge with a little vinegar.  Add the beets to your salad with a little of the pickled beet juice for a little extra kick.

-Also adding a little diced, cooked potato makes me feel a little more satisfied and the potatoes soak up a little of the dressing and/or beet juice flavor.

Krisbar88, on 25 Apr 2016 - 11:50 AM, said:

I just started making a delicious salad dressing that saved me from going off the deep end.  Here's my tricks:

-I use a Sesame basting oil made by Wegmans.  If you are not near a Wegmans- its just sesame oil, garlic, and some other herbs.  

-Pour equal parts of the sesame oil and balsamic into a tupperware for easy use.  Just shake it up and the dressing on your fave salads.

-Add pickled beets to salads.  I roast beets once a week.  Peel and dice and put them in tupperware in fridge with a little vinegar.  Add the beets to your salad with a little of the pickled beet juice for a little extra kick.

-Also adding a little diced, cooked potato makes me feel a little more satisfied and the potatoes soak up a little of the dressing and/or beet juice flavor.

I wish I had a Wegman's near me-- but alas, I can only shop there when I visit my in-laws up in the Finger Lakes region of New York. What kind of pickled beets do you use-- or do you make your own? I've used the canned type in the past, but they all had added sugar, so not W30 compliant.

I'm about to start week 4 of my 2nd Whole30 and I really feel like I've got the cooking down at this point. I wanted to share some of what I do in case it helps anyone else.

Breakfast every day is egg salad (make lots of hard boiled eggs at once, use Melissa Joulwan's technique to make peeling easy, make egg salad the night before- it's eggs + mayo + mustard + s&p), cherry tomatoes, and blended vegetable soup (make a huge pot on Sunday, lasts all week).

Lunch every day is grilled chicken breast (grill a bunch at once, I bought a George Forman for this round and it was the BEST purchase) and raw vegetables (whatever you like...cucumber spears, carrot sticks, peppers, tomatoes, etc.) and a dip (paleo dump ranch, olive tapenade, gingery dressing, babaganoush, etc.) - I make the dip on Sunday, enough for the whole week. If you're REALLY short on time just buy the Wholly Guacamole minis from Costco and use those.

I make either Spicy Tuna Cakes / Egg Foo Yong  to keep in the fridge for mini-meals/snacks. Again, I make these on Sunday for the whole week.

And here are some of my favorite easy dinner ideas:

Chocolate chili in the crockpot with spaghetti squash (make ahead and just reheat)

Chicken + sweet potatoes + onions in the crockpot

Hamburgers, roasted veggies, guacamole

Roasted salmon + roasted green beans

Paleo pad thai (ok, this one isn't all that easy, but it's so yummy it's almost worth it to me. The ONLY way I can do this for dinner is if I prep all the elements on Sunday and just throw them together.)

Meatballs and zucchini in the crockpot (with either compliant bought marinara sauce or tomato sauce and spices)

Hope this helps!

Do you by chance have the recipes for all of those?

So, I don't really use recipes but I can try to give you the general idea! The chocolate chili and paleo pad thai are both on meljoulwan.com.

Chicken and sweet potatoes in crockpot - I just slice up sweet potatoes, dice an onion, toss with olive oil and spices (paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, etc.) and put in the crockpot. Then chicken on top, drizzle more oil and spices. Cook on low for about 6 hours or high for about 4.

Meatballs and zucchini - I slice up zucchini and put in the bottom of the crockpot, make meatballs out of ground meat (I don't add anything but you could!), put them on top of the zucchini and pour marinara sauce on everything. Cook on low for about 6 hours or high for about 4.

All the roasted stuff is just - mix with oil and spices, spread out on cookie sheet, roast at 375-400 (depending on your oven) till browned.

Hope that helps!

Archived