My Note to Self and Victories on Day 56

cindytree

This is what I wrote on my blog August 17, the day before I started my first Whole30. I needed a pep talk because I was having doubts:

"This weekend you began planning your menu for when you officially start the Whole30 plan. You have plenty of food choices but those moments will come when every cell in your body will want pizza or some other food that isn't ok for you right now (and might not ever be again; best to own that truth right now).

But, although you are fully committing to the 30-day plan, your real mindset needs to be that you only have to do it for one day. That's it. Don't worry about the next day or the next week. You can do anything for one day, right?  Yes, I thought so.

Don't succumb to what-if thinking: what if it doesn't work, what if you fail and everyone will know, what if it's too hard, what if you feel worse before you feel better, what if everyone thinks this is just another fad diet that is a bad idea, what if putting yourself out there with a blog makes you more vulnerable than you thought? Nope, don't go there.

Understand that the WB's (wet blankets) will come - those who would rather give you all the reasons this won't work, or those who believe they know better what will work. They aren't the boss of you. You aren't doing this for them. And don't listen to anyone who tells you that pizza is not that bad and one slice isn't going to hurt anything. It will hurt you and you know you've never been able to stop at just one slice so best to just go cold turkey and give it up altogether for now along with sugar and other trigger foods. (Actually cold turkey is a good food for you, especially in a really big salad!)

You can do this because you are awesome. You don't quite believe that yet but just keep repeating it and fake it to make it until it becomes your truth.

Now quit crying and go make out your grocery list. Actually, before you do that go get on the exercise bike for 10 minutes. It will make you feel great! You don't quite believe that either but trust me, it will.

Go you!"

After I completed the 30 days I decided to keep going and am now on day 56.  My two main concerns going into this at the recommendation of my doctor were weight and pre-diabetes (insulin resistance). 

I've lost 18 pounds since starting. Don't criticize me for pointing that out. I know Whole30 doesn't like the scale and weighing oneself, but the truth is, it is a confirmation for most members here along with all the non-scale victories. And when one is as overweight as I am (let's call it what it is: obese), it is important that weight loss be part of the journey to getting healthier because obesity contributes to so many of the other health issues. This goes beyond just changing body composition for those of us who are truly obese so let me have this. But in keeping with the Whole30 philosophy concerning the scale, I have definitely let go of the need to weigh every day like I used to and the scale no longer holds me hostage emotionally. Now it is just an occasional check-point (twice in the past 56 days). It isn't the most important number any more but it does help me stay motivated when I look at that alongside all the non-scale victories. 

But the number I'm most excited about is that my fasting glucose levels have consistently gone down and are starting to be in the normal range!  Normal is below 100. It was 134 the day I started. Here's my reading this morning:

post-76881-0-43410000-1444655084_thumb.j

My other non-scale victories include:

• 3" lost in my waist (important because it means unhealthy belly fat is going away)
  • less joint pain most days
  • no food cravings
  • no emotional eating (I wasn't even trying to do this, it just happened)
  • less depression about my health and body
  • less hair loss and better hair in general (this is a new one that I realized this past week)
  • a feeling of hope that if I stay the course, I will experience "tiger blood", something that has been elusive in my journey so far.
  • acceptance of a "slow and steady wins the race" mindset instead of hoping for a fast-track miracle. I'm 58, insulin-resistant, post-menopausal, and fat and it literally took decades to get here so I know it will take time to turn things around and I accept that.

I've commited to 100 days but the truth is, I'm just going to keep going, even through the holidays. I'm the menu-planner, grocery shopper, and chef for our family gatherings so I will get to make sure there are plenty of choices for me and since food is no longer the boss of me, I am confident I can do it even if I make some favorite dishes the rest of the family expects for a holiday meal. 

• Moderators

Congratulations!

We are thrilled with your report of losing 18 pounds over the past 56 days! We are happy for you to check your weight every month. Our stern rebukes are reserved for those who keep weighing every day or even every week because frequent weighing interferes with eating properly and developing a healthy relationship with food. You are doing things beautifully! :)

Two more confirmations:

• There's a little space between my tummy and the car steering wheel now. When I started, I didn't have to squeeze into the car and it wasn't a tight fit but I could still feel the steering wheel against my stomach as I was driving.
  • I took my blood pressure last week and it was 127 over 75.  When I started, it was typically in the 140's and 150's.

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for posting this, cindytree! Your results are amazing! And I can identify with many of your concerns and am inspired by the changes you've made.

I hope you feel tremendous satisfaction in your accomplishments. You really are remaking your body, your life and your health.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Four months on Whole30, and even stuck with it for Thanksgiving and all Christmas events so far! It wasn't as difficult as I thought thanks to my family being so supportive.

Down 30 pounds, blood sugar still good, other NSV's still good. I see my naturopathic doctor next month and will have lab work done to see how cholesterol, etc. has improved since starting this. I expect good results.

Update: Four months on Whole30, and even stuck with it for Thanksgiving and all Christmas events so far! It wasn't as difficult as I thought thanks to my family being so supportive.

Down 30 pounds, blood sugar still good, other NSV's still good. I see my naturopathic doctor next month and will have lab work done to see how cholesterol, etc. has improved since starting this. I expect good results.

Fantastic! Well done. How great that your family has been supportive to help you get through the holidays rather than pushing food on you. Aren't you proud of your commitment and the results which have come from making new & smarter choices?! You should be! :)

• 1 month later...

Update for 2/8/16

Down a total of 33 pounds and 5" off my waist since August 2015, had lab work done in January and my triglycerides and A1c (diabetes marker) were both normal! That is a great victory.

After 5 months of staying Whole30 compliant, I did test dairy (cheese and sour cream), wheat (bread), and corn (tortilla chips).  I didn't feel well for a few days after each reintroduction so I'm back on Whole30 pretty much all the time knowing the consequence of having those foods will be an upset digestive system and headache.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, Cindy--Your story gives me great hope since I am pretty close in age, and the changes are a little harder to come by post-menopause. Has this been done mostly with or without exercise? You didn't mention testing for legumes. Do you just not eat them, or had you already re-introduced them earlier?

Archived