Dinner in a Jar?

Kbart64

I often buy fresh veggies in bulk at farmers market and dry them for to use later in the winter as:

a quick lunch of heartier soup when the power does out!.... my own version of Cup-o-soup

sometimes I may grind and mix different ones together with spices for use in meat rubs, soup stocks, or just in a shaker at the table instead of salt

Pre W30 I was making them into Meals-In-A-Jar... ie: layers of dried veggies, soup mixes, pastas, grains... ect. (you just add boiling water or stock to it to make a meal)

but those all contained ingredients I no longer use thanks to Whole30!

Can anyone think up some other recipes I can use dried veggies on Whole30 to make meals in a jar?

I recently found Thrive, which is a spot to purchase freeze-dried food. I started buying for food storage, camping, etc but have found that, since all that's required is hot water to re-hydrate, they would have a lot of options for pulling together lunches like you've described. I tried their freeze dried chicken to make a chicken salad and couldn't tell the difference between it and canned. They have different kinds of veggies and other meats... I bet you'd find something there.

• Moderators

Full disclosure -- I've never tried any of this, it's just a guess that these might work okay for you.

Since you dry your vegetables, do you have a dehydrator? You could make stock, reduce it, and dehydrate it and put it in jars with your dried vegetables to do a jar of soup. At least, in theory it seems like you could. This blog tells how she dehydrates broth. That won't get you pasta or beans in it -- maybe you could dehydrate chunks of potato that would rehydrate and give you a similar starchy taste/feel? Or as you wait for your water to boil, make some zoodles to put in the jar, the boiling water would be more than enough to cook them. You'd still need to add some kind of protein -- I can't imagine that's something you can dehydrate/rehydrate and get very good results, but I might be wrong, you could always try and see.

If I had dehydrated vegetables laying around, I'd probably just grind them into powder and mix them into things like meatballs and soups. I'm not sure how to build a whole meal around them.

Hi

I just found Thrive Market as well. It is a great market. It is subscriber be axed like COSTCO

They have a trail membership which goes to support worthy causes. By subscribing you get costs well below Amazon.

They don't ship to Canada yet but since I will be in the States this Friday I ordered 12 bottles of Coconut Aminor and Red Boat Fish Sauce for under 100 dollars

As for dehydrating does anyone have a good bòOK of recipes? I have one and never used it

Thanks

Pre W30 I was making them into Meals-In-A-Jar... ie: layers of dried veggies, soup mixes, pastas, grains... ect. (you just add boiling water or stock to it to make a meal)

but those all contained ingredients I no longer use thanks to Whole30!

Can anyone think up some other recipes I can use dried veggies on Whole30 to make meals in a jar?

If you make your own soup mixes, why not just take out the pastas & grains and treat it just like you did before? If you dehydrate meats, or make jerky, you could toss in a bit of that as well. I don't think I'd change what you are doing, so much as just taking out the bits that are non-compliant and go on as before.

I have a copy of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Dehydrating Foods" by Jeannette Hurt, and there is a chapter of recipes for various soups made from dehydrated vegetables. She also suggests using the dried vegs as crunchy salad toppers. I could try & copy some of the soup recipes if you are interested and can't get the book through your library.

Keep us posted.... I am interested to learn what you do with them.

Thanks everyone!

Shannon... yes I have a dehydrator.. I do my own dried broths also and  do soups and such.. 

You can dry meat... a cooked chicken breast dries very well and re hydrates pretty well

Seafarer.. I also use them as salad toppers.. ground to a powder and mixed into mashed potatoes is SOOO yummy! 

I use the ground veggies in place of salt at the table

My favorite is to mix the powdered mixed veggies and fruit into a BBQ style rub for meats... and its killer on fish as well. (dried lemon rind/ pepper ground together with dried leeks.. sprinkle on a piece of salmon and bake...YUMM!!!)

Also tossing some dried veggies into a small bottle and adding olive oil.. leave it for a few days then use it on salads or for cooking.. it adds a deep broad flavor 

I always keep a batch of dried soup in my desk for a quick meal if I am stuck in the office late... and very handy and lightweight meals to carry when hiking/camping

Always looking for more ideas to use them!!!!!!  or maybe some combinations I haven't thought up yet!

Archived