How can I help my 75 year old diabetic dad?

Hi guys!

My dad has seen how well I'm doing, and he's interested in making improvements in his life, too.

He's 75 years old, but very young at heart and full of life! However, he has had diabetes for years and he's on medication for it. His doctor wants to put him on another medication but he said it has crazy side effects and is very expensive.

I told him about some components of the Whole30 and he even started reading It Starts With Food, but I'm nervous about him making such a drastic change to his eating habits. He eats pretty well, but he eats bread, cheese, cereal, drinks red wine every night...

What can I suggest for him? He is really open to making changes, but I feel like he needs guidance and supervision, especially with his medication.

What should I do? I'm worried about him! He was so upset after seeing his doctor today...

Thanks!

Me and my dad: :)

He's from Greece, by the way! :D

3d0de805-42f4-422f-be9e-585b837dd8ad.jpg

I did it but it took 1.5 years.   The bread and cereal has to go by the way of the dodo.  He can do this with your help and I love your  Dad/Daughter photo.    We pulled you through that other stressful episode and now you can help pull him through this.   It absolutely will take persistence and dedication.  Won't be able to yoyo around with it.   Consistency is the key.

Proteins and fats. STAT.  Super fats are where it's at.  Refined carbs/grains/sugars....those have to go.  The sooner the better.   No ice cream...it's the worst.  White flour breads, brown breads, all bread.   Pizza dough,  pasta, bread bowls,  bread bread of every kind...croissants, pastries and donuts.   Cookies, cakes and cheesecake.   

Oooo, the red wine routine, that's going to be a tough one for your Paw.  You could get him going on Kombucha to curb the sugar withdrawals.   They're miserable in the beginning but after about 3 months, it really does begin to turn around.

I've been tooling along the Whole 30 this entire time.  I was as serious as all get out.  To say I wasn't  is to underestimate my personality by a 1000 degrees.  He can do it.    I did it.  

I released a whopping boatload of dangerous  fat while I was at it.  The kind that clings to your body organs.   We're all around to help you encourage and rally him on.

MeadowLily, you absolutely rock! I appreciate you so much, and you're right: you guys helped me so much and I am so much stronger now!!

Just to clarify, super fats include coconut oil, olive oil, avocado, olives...are there any others I'm missing?

In addition to protein and fats, what about starchy vegetables? Can he have a regular sized serving of let's say sweet potatoes with his meals?

Thank you!!!

Brewer5, his doctor wanted to prescribe an additional diabetes medication today. Plus he was waiting for him for over an hour in the room, and he heard him talking and laughing with another patient for the whole time! I guess it just aggravated him :)

But I realized this was probably a catalyst experience for him. This doctor just likes to keep prescribing meds!

I just had a great conversation with him and he is totally on board. I'm just concerned about how the changes in his diet will interact with the medication. I'm thinking he should ask his doc, or maybe find a new one!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

My dad is doing great and he has made lots of changes to his diet. His numbers are better and he's working with his doctor to hopefully get off the medication completely or just cut down to one.

A question I have is about sweet potatoes and other starchy vegetables. How much can he have? Should he not have any starchy veggies at all?

And should he have them at every meal?

Thank you so much!!

A question I have is about sweet potatoes and other starchy vegetables. How much can he have? Should he not have any starchy veggies at all?

And should he have them at every meal?

Thank you so much!!

Glad to hear your dad is doing so well - that has to be great for you to see, knowing that you're giving him a helping hand in his health....

It is recommended that those who have blood sugar issues (or who lead a sedentary lifestyle)  limit their intake of starchy veg to every other day.

Protein & fat is where it's at.

Archived