I CAN'T eat "mostly Whole30"

• Administrators

Hey, I guess it kind of depends on what your relationship is with the foods. There are a LOT of people who reintroduce sugar or potato chips or bread and find that they cannot control themselves around those items so they need to rethink their inclusion.  There are just as many people that reintroduce legumes or rice and find that besides what they are serving for dinner, nothing changes.

Part of the point of the Whole30 is to discover for yourself your physical and emotional reactions to these foods. Personally, I should stay the H away from sugar.  Should.  Don't.  Reeeeaaaalllly should.  As I continue to Whole30 and eat "Whole30-style" in between rounds, I find sugar has less and less of a draw for me.  Maybe one day it will be gone but for now, total food-with-no-breaks (understatement of the year).

Lady Shanny is spot on. Triggers are physical and emotional reactions to foods.  A Whole 30 is a Food Reset but it's the 'Head Reset' that will take you all of the way into your future. 

Do the triggers every go away?  The old approach to dealing with triggers no longer serves me.  There are not enough thrill eating or full-on food benders in the world that will ever satisfy some food cravings.

Another binge is not a cure for a food addiction.

I guess what I'm really asking is, why do they say over and over again that the Whole30 is not supposed to be a Whole365? Because right now, I'm feeling like that's what I need to do. I can't just eat a little gluten or sugar or corn...it leads to days and days of progressively worse eating.

I guess what I'm really asking is, why do they say over and over again that the Whole30 is not supposed to be a Whole365? Because right now, I'm feeling like that's what I need to do. I can't just eat a little gluten or sugar or corn...it leads to days and days of progressively worse eating.

You have to decide what works best for you. I think the biggest gain from stopping the whole30 and starting my own plan is that I now take responsibility for deciding when and what I eat. For me personally, some things are off limits for good (gluten, soy, dairy) and some things work for me as occasional foods (corn, sugar).

Your plan can be whatever you want it to be--even if it matches the whole30 perfectly--the important thing is figuring your personal boundaries to move forward.

It's not supposed to be a Whole365 because that's not realistic for most people for various reasons - travel, sickness, plain enjoyment of things you love eating. (Gluten doesn't do major things to me, so if it's my birthday, I want cake, because I really love good cake. But I don't eat cake every week or even every month - it's a special occasion food.)

The point is to get to a baseline of feeling great, and from there, figure out what is worth it and what isn't for you. Like for me: I've learned that I can keep dark chocolate at my house, no problem. I eat a square occasionally. A little sugar every now and then is no big deal for me; I've had a container of almond milk ice cream in my freezer for months. But potato chips, not so much, so I don't buy them to keep at home. Dairy doesn't make me feel great, so I avoid that generally. But if I want to order fries I know will be tasty with a burger at a restaurant, I will. It's portion controlled and something I really enjoy.

The Whole30 is great for giving yourself a baseline to start from; it's a great set of boundaries to help you reset your relationship with all these foods you're worried about. From there, you get to figure out what makes you feel good.

• Moderators

I eat 'mostly' whole30 pretty much every day of the year. What I don't worry about is a bit of sugar in ketchup, a dash of cream in a cup of tea at night or some rice in otherwise compliant Dolmas.  I NEVER eat soy, carageenan, any types of chemical additives or grains. I'm still a work in progress as to what sends me on a bender and what doesn't and depending on your background, you may be like me, where you need more time than 30 days to get your head inline with where you want to be... 

What you need to decide and use Whole30 (or 60, 90) to figure out, is what is worth it to you and which things will send you on a bender and are therefore not worth it.

There's no one saying that you can't keep a whole30 'based' eating plan that probably cuts out a lot of what the Whole 30 does, but you need to own your eating pattern, figure out exactly what works for you and then go forward from there.  Truth be told, it may take longer than 30 days... and that's okay, keep going until you feel in control of food and not the other way around.

What's been on my mind lately is that I wonder how many people ~still stick to template eating~ when trying to re-intro these things.

I don't know about y'all (well, yes I do) but a properly-formed template meal is pretty darn satiating for me.

I'm talking protein + veggies + fat.

​I am able to have what I would consider a "treat" after my dinner in the evening, and I am DONE.  Full.  Satisfied.  Satiated.  Done.

Anyone out there who is trying to eat potato chips ~alone~ ... ~as a snack~ ... or candy ... or whatever -- that's just asking for trouble.  

Food without brakes is not JUST because these foods are so tasty.  It's because they DO NOT send the proper signals to our brains for us to know when to stop.

If you've already eaten a full template meal and then you want to try something out?  I think the reaction is much different.  It is for me, anyway.

I'm on day 11 and have been thinking ahead to how I'd like to eat post-Whole30. I think that for awhile I may need to write down non-Whole30 foods that I eat so that I can be realistic with how often I'm eating fries or ice cream lol My family always goes out to eat lunch on Sunday afternoons and I have considered eating Whole30 Monday - Saturday and then Sundays for lunch I can eat whatever it is that I want. Of course my new Monday - Saturday rule wouldn't be as steadfast and strict. But I would need to be careful that if I eat something on Thursday night that on Friday I need to be mindful of how I feel and not begin a downward binge.

"Mostly W30" to me is adding certain legumes (peas, I love peas) and added sugars in sauces, seed oils, and when I dine out not worrying about what my food was cooked in (if it's butter, my stomach will tell me, but I don't freak out). I avoid dairy for physical reasons. I avoid grains (other than the occasional rice in sushi) and sugary sweets for psychological reasons. They trigger me to binge. And I know if I even start on any of those foods I. will. binge. I just don't eat those foods in moderation. 

So right now I, too, am struggling with--how can I *never* eat grains or sweets for the rest of my life??! And the answer, so far, is I don't know. I had cake for my birthday and I ate way too much. I decided I was OK with it because it was my birthday, even though I felt crummy. I still need to figure out how to allow myself to eat really special, delicious foods during special occasions without sending me right off the rails. I'm a work in progress...

Yeah, so that's what I'm wondering. I found that part of ISWF super validating- I'm not binging because I'm a pig, I'm binging because these foods are low-nutrient and supernaturally delicious. It was a big epiphany for me. And it's TRUE. So how to put the brakes on? Or should I just not even go there?

Yeah, so that's what I'm wondering. I found that part of ISWF super validating- I'm not binging because I'm a pig, I'm binging because these foods are low-nutrient and supernaturally delicious. It was a big epiphany for me. And it's TRUE. So how to put the brakes on? Or should I just not even go there?

Honestly, you are the ONLY person who can answer this question.

There are things I completely avoid because I know they lead me nowhere good.  

Ice cream.  It lights up all sorts of things in my brain and then I want more (again, another night) and more (again, another night) and more (again, another night) and..........  Where does it stop?  The answer is:  It doesn't.  Until I quit ice cream, just like I quit smoking, and then it is no longer a battle.  

I don't want ice cream and I don't want a cigarette -- and yes, it is exactly the same for me.  EXACTLY.

If you realize you are being a slave to a particular craving, it may just piss you off enough to stop the cycle.  But only you can decide this.  It is highly individual.

Wow! I hope that ice cream isn't that for me. Ice cream and pizza have been the two things that I've really wanted this Whole30. Monday will be day 15 for me (half way!) and on day 10 I would have come close to murdering someone for payment in ice cream. I've said that I am finding that I don't have a "sugar dragon" but I do have an "ice cream and pizza dragon" ha Last weekend we went to Chuck E Cheese for my niece's birthday - I had the salad bar. I went over to one of the pizzas, took a big smell, and walked back to my "table of sadness" as I jokingly called it to eat my salad ha But as my Whole30 buddy said "don't waste your pizza craving on Chuck E Cheese" and I've tried to figure out how often can I have ice cream after Whole30. I got into a terrible habit this summer - I was working a second job which had me leaving my day job, being home for about 20 minutes, and then heading to my other job. I'd then get home about 8:45PM. During the 20 minutes I would change clothes and eat some sort of roni (Rice-a-roni, pasta roni, beefaroni) and then I'd get off work in the evening and have a bowl of frozen custard. The last two months of the five months I worked two jobs...I did that every night. Maybe ice cream can be a payday treat or something lol twice a month might be a good amount. I cannot return to nightly bowls of ice cream. 

If you read through all of the forum, Whole 30 manifestos and articles....Whole 30 is only 30 days.   There was a recent one written about not standing at the door and not being afraid to create your own plan.

They advised against calling it a Whole 365.  No such thing exists.   It's not even a Whole 30 Lifestyle.   A Whole 30 is 30 days of compliant food.   Once you take a bite of non-compliant food...that Whole 30 is over.  

Pre/post mini-meals after a Whole 30 that consist of desserts...leaving a trail a crumbs behind you cannot be called a Whole 30 anything.   Logging your food doesn't make it a Whole 30.   That's what they do on branded diets.

The only time you really need to log your food is if you have questions about portions and for troubleshooting purposes.   Logging your food doesn't change destructive habits.  It may assuage your conscience or soothe away self-doubt and "guilt" but it does not change your relationship with food.

Some need to face the music.   See a therapist and look them straight in the face.   Sit down...eyeball to eyeball and quit playing around with your health.   If  full on food benders have been going on since grade school....another drop it like it's hot branded diet isn't going to change that mindset.   

Time for an intervention with a qualified therapist who can help you.   It may be your last opportunity to get it right and extend your life.

Wow! I hope that ice cream isn't that for me. Ice cream and pizza have been the two things that I've really wanted this Whole30. Monday will be day 15 for me (half way!) and on day 10 I would have come close to murdering someone for payment in ice cream. I've said that I am finding that I don't have a "sugar dragon" but I do have an "ice cream and pizza dragon" ha Last weekend we went to Chuck E Cheese for my niece's birthday - I had the salad bar. I went over to one of the pizzas, took a big smell, and walked back to my "table of sadness" as I jokingly called it to eat my salad ha But as my Whole30 buddy said "don't waste your pizza craving on Chuck E Cheese" and I've tried to figure out how often can I have ice cream after Whole30. I got into a terrible habit this summer - I was working a second job which had me leaving my day job, being home for about 20 minutes, and then heading to my other job. I'd then get home about 8:45PM. During the 20 minutes I would change clothes and eat some sort of roni (Rice-a-roni, pasta roni, beefaroni) and then I'd get off work in the evening and have a bowl of frozen custard. The last two months of the five months I worked two jobs...I did that every night. Maybe ice cream can be a payday treat or something lol twice a month might be a good amount. I cannot return to nightly bowls of ice cream. 

I completed my first W30 in September and just like you I would have done anything for pizza and ice cream...anything.  The key word here is "would have"...not anymore.  Obviously, everyone is different and reacts differently (physically and emotionally) to foods.  But, my first attempt at pizza was horrible. I felt terrible, physically, after and at this point, you couldn't pay me to eat pizza again.  The funny thing is that before I ate the pizza I had a debate with myself about whether I was going to eat it.  Pizza for dinner wasn't my idea, and the thought of grilled chicken and some mixed veggies sounded just fine.  But, I figured what the heck my W30 was over and I was still eating compliant anyway.  So, I ate it.  The bloating, uncomfortable stomach and the almost 'hangover' type feeling I had the next morning just isn't worth it to me anymore.  I haven't had any ice cream..  I had thoughts about it a few times, but I've found that dairy and I don't mix well together.  Thinking about how I might feel after even just a small cup of ice cream is keeping me away.  Needless to say, the W30 has completely changed my life and my relationship with food.  I never in a million years thought I'd ever consider not eating pizza, ice cream, or chocolate.  But, here I am...51 days into my new lifestyle and loving the control I have.

Honestly, at day 15 I was still probably dreaming of pizza and ice cream and imagining how heavenly it would be to have some.  You might be surprised how much can change for you in the next couple weeks.  If nothing else, it will hopefully become more of a choice/decision for you to eat it rather than an uncontrollable craving to get it.

I feel in good company now with the ice cream issue! Once I go for it, I want it again and again!! Two whole30's this year so far have not helped me with FroYo/ice cream control. I try Melissa's advice about being mindful and savoring it and only continue eating it until it doesn't taste quite as good but no go for me. The serving size is determined by the container. I wish I could get a handle on it for a treat now and then but this discussion has convinced me to try and eliminate it for awhile. Otherwise I honestly love eating this way and have template meals probably 90 percent of the time.

I'm now on day 25 and although I haven't found myself truly craving ice cream anymore - I fully intend on having some next week lol But I'm not going to get a big huge Blizzard or anything like that. Just simple vanilla ice cream. It's how I plan to reintro dairy.

I'm now on day 25 and although I haven't found myself truly craving ice cream anymore - I fully intend on having some next week lol But I'm not going to get a big huge Blizzard or anything like that. Just simple vanilla ice cream. It's how I plan to reintro dairy.

Ice cream is very often not just dairy & sugar - be sure to check the ingredients for other off plan ingredients such as soy, cornstarch & carageenan.

During my first Whole30 in June I couldn't wait to reintroduce dairy. I missed my Paleo pizza with Brittany Angell's yeasty crust and my favorite Greek yoghurt. And that delicious ice cream from the local parlor (which placed in the top ten at the ice cream World championships several years in a row, it's that good). And chocolate, oh how I loved chocolate. 

However, I stopped craving those foods (99% of the time anyway). Now everytime I see something non-compliant on my plate, I feel like I'm somehow missing out on the nutrient-dense foods it's pushing off my plate. Sometimes I hate myself for not being able to indulge without guilt, but on the other hand I'm an abstainer. I know I can't handle moderation, there are no brakes for me when it comes to my favorite indulgences. So I guess it works out. 

I wonder if those members that ended Whole30 did the re-introduction after whole30 or not. They don't tell about here.

I began my "Re-In" last Thursday, but then, I had to stop again. Even during Whole30 and beeing exactly with things they are allowed, I had dirrahea from time to time. And now, after my first "Re-In", it was with dairy, I felt very good until I ate the next day Brussels sprouts. Since them, my stomache isn't quiet, and I have diarrhea again.

So, I decided, not to do the next Re-Intro that was plant for today. I can not be really sure, if the dirrahea is at ist was during W30, or if it is a late result of dairy products or of the Brussels sprouds???

I think, I have to begin with "Re-In" of new the next days.

During my first Whole30 in June I couldn't wait to reintroduce dairy. I missed my Paleo pizza with Brittany Angell's yeasty crust and my favorite Greek yoghurt. And that delicious ice cream from the local parlor (which placed in the top ten at the ice cream World championships several years in a row, it's that good). And chocolate, oh how I loved chocolate.

However, I stopped craving those foods (99% of the time anyway). Now everytime I see something non-compliant on my plate, I feel like I'm somehow missing out on the nutrient-dense foods it's pushing off my plate. Sometimes I hate myself for not being able to indulge without guilt, but on the other hand I'm an abstainer. I know I can't handle moderation, there are no brakes for me when it comes to my favorite indulgences. So I guess it works out.

When did it stop? I want chocolate omg :(

When did it stop? I want chocolate omg :(

For me, it was approximately 5-7 days into the program. I've gone sugar-free for longer periods of time in the past (pre Whole30) and it's always been around a week until I stopped craving sweets. But don't despair if it takes you longer, everyone is different. 

I'm long post round two (finished October 4th) and planning to have a homemade dark chocolate pumpkin cashew butter cup for Halloween tomorrow. I'll only make one. Otherwise I'd eat all the chocolate. I also keep any chocolate I buy (which almost never happens) in the freezer now because it stops me from binge-eating. The things you do for your health... :rolleyes:

Archived