The best Paleo cookbook

msame213

Hi everyone - currently on day 12 and loving how I feel. I'm going to continue with a broadly paleo approach after this W30 (with no grains and a little dairy - possibly some chickpeas as I love hummus), but I'd like some advice which Paleo cookbook to buy to start with.

I'm a little obsessed with cookbooks so no doubt I'll develop my collection but for now I'm either going with 

1. It starts with food

2. Nom nom paleo

Has anyone tried these? which do you prefer and why? Or do you have other recommendations?

:)

• Moderators

It Starts with Food is not really a cookbook. It's got a few recipes, but mostly it's an explanation of the science behind W30, and is definitely worth a read, but it's not a cookbook. The new Whole30 book has a much larger selection of recipes, as well as tips on how to complete a Whole30, so that might be a better option for you.

I like the Well Fed cookbooks by Melissa Joulwan.

I like the Well Fed cookbooks by Melissa Joulwan.

I'm such an idiot - have whole 30 on the brain. I meant to say either nom nom Paleo OR Well Fed!  So thanks for your reply SannonM816! You answered my question even though I asked it wrong :)

I have the Nom Nom Paleo book. I like the fact that it doesn't feature a lot of sweet recipes (I have a huge sweet tooth that I've just started to get under control with my two Whole30's) but it's definitely what I perceive as a distinctive cuisine with quite a few meals I wouldn't normally gravitate to (especially when it comes to spicy foods).

But awesome for those with a broad palate and I love browsing through it! I've tried a couple recipes and really liked them. Planning on making the macadamia nut ricotta this weekend. The book itself is also very sturdy and looks pretty on my shelf, haha. 

Well Fed is on my wishlist. Just ordered All American Paleo Table this week (had an Amazon coupon) and waiting for that to arrive.

I like the Well Fed books, and I like the Whole30 book, but I chose to pass on the Nom Nom Paleo book (although I'm sure it's good) but before I decided, I tried to flip through all of them. My local library, a local bookstore, and via "Look Inside" on Amazon. I had the best luck at my local health foods store since they have a great book collection. Everyone likes their cookbooks for different reasons, but searching them out before buying really help me. You could also visit the websites for each of them and see how many recipes you snag off of each. That should tell you a little more about your preferences too.

Like Seafarer says, you can find many of the recipes in these books on the authors' websites.

I have had good luck with the free recipe management app, Paprika. I use it to clip recipes from websites, save on my desktop computer, and sync to my tablet. I have later purchased digital books/apps of authors I like.

I have a huge collection of cookbooks--mine and the many I inherited from Mom. The vast majority have little in common with W30-ish eating, so I'm trying to revamp my recipe collection and management system.

Archived