Looking for a buddy to go throught this with. Start date 10/13

LaurenB

I know this may sound way weird, but all this week for breakfast I've had a deconstructed turkey burger. Trader Joe's makes a complaint Turkey Burger patty, and it's been a lifesaver. I think one of the most valuable pieces of advice that I read before starting this thing was to not think of your meals in terms of breakfast, lunch, or dinner, but instead think of them as just 3 meals that you can eat whatever you want as long as it's compliant. 

And regarding the Larabars....I'm there too! :) I've also definitely not scrimped on the fruit this week! (I'm not eating more than the FDA guidelines, but I'm definitely not eating less!). My thought is that we're new to this, so while we need to be hard on ourselves to cut the bad stuff, but fruit, and even a whole-food granola bar isn't bad, so I'm not going to beat myself up over it. I'm going to try to cut them out in this second week though, since they are sugary. We'll see how it goes! 

Thanks for the ideas! I'll see how I go. I'm just not used to eating that much animal protein in a day (and find it hard to justify, to be honest). But the Lara bar I ate yesterday tasted really sweet, and I had a hard time fnishing it. So I think that's good news! Tastebuds are changing a bit. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks GFChris. That is definitely a good resource for me. I need to do some thinking about the meat issue. It started as a taste/texture issue for me. But then I also feel that a meat-heavy diet isn't earth friendly. So not sure where I will end up on this topic!

I am feeling much better today. Found a recipe for a pumpkin custard thing I can eat for breakfast. There are lots of eggs in it but my tastebuds don't know it :) I don't care if the Whole30 purists frown. Ingredients are eggs, pumpkin, banana, almond meal and coconut milk and chopped pecans. I ate breakfast at 9:00 and wasn't hungry until early afternoon, so I think it's a keeper. Energy levels today have been good. 

I also picked up the turkey burgers from Trader Joe's, so thanks for that recommendation Virginia! 

Hope everyone is hanging in there through the weekend. :)

Kristen

So, last night a made a pumpkins soup... but it was gross. :( Aside from it not being very tasty it had a garlic clove in it and I can still taste it this afternoon. On an even lower note, today while shopping at Whole Foods with my dog in her bag (she is a certified service dog) this woman keeps glaring at her. I casually say to her that she's a service dog. She comes back am says that I am an angry woman and that's why I probably need a service dog and that she's be angry too if she was as large as me. (I am a size 6 in clothing, I don't consider that to be large.) I was so shocked! It did make me realize that I feel a little swollen. That is not supposed to happen yet though.... does anyone else feel bloated?

On a positive note, I'm still on track.

Whaaaat!?! Lauren, I'm so sorry that lady at Whole Foods was so rude! That's horrible. Obviously she was having a bad day and thought she needed to ruin yours too. 100% sure it was not about you. 

And yes, I do feel bloated and have since the beginning. Still waiting for my body to adjust. I've been taking probiotics to see if that will help. 

I love pumpkin soup. I find the simpler the better in terms of recipes. You can roast pumpkin then dilute with a chicken stock and add spices from there. 

Hope you have a good evening!

Kristen

Thanks Kristen. Isn't it amazing how we can let complete strangers affect us? I'm trying to let it go and not let it get to me but I too am  and look swollen. Also have a bit of a headache. Trying to plan the next couple of meals.

Good for you Lauren that you are hanging in there. The turkey burgers are a good suggestion from c.hilmes. I think I'll go check that out. Thanks for the clarification about portions, jmcbn. It's good to hear that those are minimum portions too! I hear you on the sensitivity to eating so much meat. I figure though that for 30 days, it'll be OK. (I'm really betting that I can successfully switch back to grains and beans to keep healthy long term, because I want to feel healthier but not too eat so much meat.) And c.hilmes, I totally agree with you about the Larabars.

Congrats to everyone for finishing day 6!

I am feeling much better today. Found a recipe for a pumpkin custard thing I can eat for breakfast. There are lots of eggs in it but my tastebuds don't know it :) I don't care if the Whole30 purists frown. Ingredients are eggs, pumpkin, banana, almond meal and coconut milk and chopped pecans. I ate breakfast at 9:00 and wasn't hungry until early afternoon, so I think it's a keeper. Energy levels today have been good. 

I also picked up the turkey burgers from Trader Joe's, so thanks for that recommendation Virginia! 

Hope everyone is hanging in there through the weekend. :)

Kristen

This has been discussed many times on the forum and the Whole30 purists deem it off limits during your Whole30 - not only is it a dessert, it basically fat & sugar & doesn't meet the recommended meal template even at a push. Google 'Whole30 non egg breakfasts' or check out >this thread< for some ideas on what to eat other than eggs.

Whole30 is about so much more than eating compliant foods for 30 days & this type of eating will get you nowhere fast.

So, last night a made a pumpkins soup... but it was gross. :( Aside from it not being very tasty it had a garlic clove in it and I can still taste it this afternoon. On an even lower note, today while shopping at Whole Foods with my dog in her bag (she is a certified service dog) this woman keeps glaring at her. I casually say to her that she's a service dog. She comes back am says that I am an angry woman and that's why I probably need a service dog and that she's be angry too if she was as large as me. (I am a size 6 in clothing, I don't consider that to be large.) I was so shocked! It did make me realize that I feel a little swollen. That is not supposed to happen yet though.... does anyone else feel bloated?

On a positive note, I'm still on track.

If you'd like to post a few days worth of your food intake we can take a look and see if anything jumps out that may be causing this. Off the top of my head some foods that cause bloating are:

Raw veg

Cruciferous veg

Raw cruciferous veg - double whammy

Daily servings of nuts/nut butters/seeds/dried fruit

Seltzer

Wow, there are a lot of helpful people on this forum but also some gung ho moderators who will track down any mention of something they deem not Whole30 compliant. Feeling kind of annoyed, I'm not gonna lie. I hardly feel that something with less than 1/2 banana per serving qualifies as a dessert. These people clearly haven't seen dessert in a LOOOONG time. 

On another thread, I asked for breakfast suggestions that weren't based on eggs or meat because I know smoothies and coconut chia "pudding" are not the best choices. A moderator came down hard saying smoothies are a very bad choice and the coconut chia pudding is banned because it's a dessert (again, so NOT a dessert, there is no sweetener/banana/dates at all). Then he suggested, among other things, that I try rabbit curry for breakfast. WTH? 

It would be nice if the moderators were a bit more encouraging and supportive when they drop in. Like, "Hey, good job committing to Whole30. It's hard to switch up your eating and if you don't like eggs, maybe check out some of these recipes." 

So moderators, please take it down a notch. I came here for support, not to be judged and moralized. You could be turning some people away to return to bad eating habits by your lack of empathy and understanding. I'm not trying to cheat, or skirt the Whole30rules. I'm trying to make this work for me and it's unrealistic to expect perfection overnight. A lot of people are popping dates and Lara bars for the first week or so until they can wean themselves off. It's a process and everyone who attempts Whole30 should be applauded and supported. 

Rant done. I'll probably get banned now, but stuff it.

KL:

Your fellow forum members are here to support and encourage you.  The moderators are here, as volunteers, to help keep us between the lines....to apply the tough love mentioned in the program descriptions.  Open your ears are listen to what they offer and then make your own decisions about what to do.  One tip:  the moderators know the program inside and out - and there are really good reasons to avoid too much fruit, etc.

I suggest you read more of the materials on the website and chill out a bit.  This is complicated and very foreign at first, but well worth it.  And you CAN do it!!

and remember, some of these food changes result in a Kill All Things attitude... ;)

I came here for support, not to be judged and moralized. 

Nobody here is judging or moralizing you, and I apologise if it has come across that way. I for one just don't do fluffy - not here, & not with my kids, and I'd be the first to say that anyone popping dates & larabars isn't doing themselves any favours.

Each of the moderators here volunteer their time, their knowledge, & their experience reading through hundreds of posts to help people like you get the absolute best out of the program, and sometimes the advice we give may not be what you want to hear, but it honest to goodness has your best interests at heart. Yes there are rules & their are recommendations, and ultimately YOU decide what passes your lips. But if you want to ditch those cravings, feel that Tiger Blood, and find yourself and your body in a happy place, then you won't just play by the rules, you'll positively embrace the Whole30 for what it truly is - a life changing experience.

So maybe don't have the rabbit curry for breakfast, but a blended soup with some good spices and a couple of breakfast patties on the side would be a really good place to start.

Well done on making it to day 6 - keep up the good work!

Thanks jmcbn and mergthemagnific for the replies. My frustration was coming from me wanting and trying to do the right thing and that not being acknowledged. It's like saying "sorry" and then having your a$$ kicked. I am working up to having some kind of meat/veg breakfast this week. I've purchased a few of the items suggested by members and moderators (sausages, chicken patties). I certainly appreciate the time the moderators take to help us newbies. We wouldn't be here if we didn't need the help! 

Day 7. Agh...I actually had a nightmare last night that I accidentally ate something non-compliant and had to start over. Relief when I wake up. Then ARG! when I accidentally take a taste of the bread I made for my children (like a pinch of the bread machine spinner). I'm not starting over, though I'll take a note (slip up on day 7). It would be too depressing to start over.

A bit tired of the time I spend in the kitchen. My meatballs were hard and dry, and my chicken probably was too old and treated funny. My spaghetti squash too mushy. My own fault I'm sure. Just frustrating.

Probably need to make a trip to Trader Joes for those turkey burgers, for some guaranteed-to-please food.

On a positive note, I have slept better 3 days in a row now, and that's definitely worth celebrating. Not saying it's just the diet, but it's still encouraging. Also, I did enjoy the butternut squash soup I had yesterday, and then leftover for breakfast today. My 3 year old liked it too.

Hang in there y'all. I think "oh my pants are to tight" will be better than "kill ask things."

Love.

Day 8. I must've been tired because I took the opportunity and went to bed after 8 last night. And I dreamed another nightmare that I was having a free for all in a Chinese bakery, completely forgetting the dirty until too late. (I'm Chinese.). Woke up relieved. I'm really worried about accidentally eating something and needing to start over.

Food is a bit boring now. Thank goodness for olives and kimchi.

Have a good Tuesday everyone!

HI Viriginia, oh my gosh! Your nightmares! I know it is scary to think of accidentally "slipping up". I was at a happy hour muching on my raw carrots and accidentally dipped one into ranch dressing. It happens. If it's an honest mistake, just laugh it off. Anxiety isn't good for you! And obviously your sleep is important. 

I am feeling really good now. My body is finally starting to become regular, so less bloating.

Although I was really hungry yesterday, all day. I just went with the flow and ate when I was hungry. I had a great day food-wise. I wasn't craving sweets or anything else, just hungry. It tapered off by late afternoon and I didn't feel I needed to eat after my early dinner. I did take a one hour walk in the morning, so wondering if that fuelled my hunger perhaps. 

Hope everyone else is doing well. We are already 8 days into this! Woo hoo!

Virginia- That's so funny... I had horrible nightmares last night too. I didn't eat in them, but they were very vivid and scary. In one I was stuck having to go back and work at an old job even though both them and I knew that I don't work there anymore. AAAAHHHH. I've been doing good. I made three pork chops that I have paired with baked sweet potatoes, or mashed cauliflower for the past 4 meals. I have found it easier just not to think. I've had some fruit and nuts thrown in here and there.

Keep up the good work group!

Day 8. I must've been tired because I took the opportunity and went to bed after 8 last night. And I dreamed another nightmare that I was having a free for all in a Chinese bakery, completely forgetting the dirty until too late. (I'm Chinese.). Woke up relieved. I'm really worried about accidentally eating something and needing to start over.

Food is a bit boring now. Thank goodness for olives and kimchi.

Have a good Tuesday everyone!

Hi Virginia -- I meant to say that a neighbor loaned me a cookbook called WELL FED that has Paleo recipes. Some of them are Chinese or Asian and look Whole30 compliant: Char Siu, a stir fry sauce, egg foo yong, BBQ pork fried "rice". If any of these grab you, I can post the recipes for you. 

Kristen

If any of these grab you, I can post the recipes for you. 

While we appreciate your willingness to help, a gentle reminder that recipes in a cookbook are protected under copyright laws. Therefore, please do not share any cookbook recipes in the forum.

However, if a recipe is on the web on the author's site, feel free to post the recipe link. Many of the Well Fed recipes are on Mel Joulwan's website here

GFChris it's not against copyright laws to post a recipe online if you're attributing it properly from what I understand. It's when you steal a recipe and try to pass it off as your own that you could potentially get in trouble. It's always best to direct people to the original website though. 

GFChris it's not against copyright laws to post a recipe online if you're attributing it properly from what I understand. It's when you steal a recipe and try to pass it off as your own that you could potentially get in trouble. It's always best to direct people to the original website though.

Actually it does violate the copyright to reprint copyrighted text. Posting the source doesn't cut it. You must obtain explicit written permission from the author (owner of the content) to reprint the text. Mel Joulwan addresses this on her website, for example http://meljoulwan.com/contact/.

Again, on this forum, post only the web link to an author's recipe. If a recipe only exists in a cookbook, direct readers to the cookbook.

Thank you Kristen for your suggesting I look into meljoulwan's recipes. She has an interesting cooking blog for sure.

Lauren, I'm so happy for you that the bloating is over! Whew! And good for you to be able to eat so many of the same meals in a row. I get tired or food easily, but I imagine that's a great way not to have to spend time and energy on cooking (especially when you're really tired as is typical in this transition).

I over-ate today, doing a search for delicious Whole30 style. In the end, I had a bad stomachache. Maybe also because of bad food I should've just thrown away (I did when I felt better).

Good thing is I feel "normal" now (really missing things we're not supposed to have though), and it'll be Day 9 tomorrow.

Also, does anyone know what a healthy level of fruit would be, besides just as minimum as possible?

Goodnight and keep up the good work!

Also, does anyone know what a healthy level of fruit would be, besides just as minimum as possible?

Fruit is optional on a Whole30. If you're going to have it, the recommendation is 1-2 servings a day, where a serving is a whole piece of fruit the size of your fist.  Also, we advise not having fruit by itself: best to have it with a meal of protein, veggies and fat (don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate).

Archived