Looking for a buddy to go throught this with. Start date 10/13

LaurenB

I'm hosting book club at my house Thursday night, and I realized I was preparing to allow myself to "cheat" that night. I'm making a batch of caramel apple sangria and as a good hostess, I should really try it to make sure it tastes good, right?! Last night I realized that NO, I do not want to cheat! So I will be holding the line Thursday night, no wine or sangria or yummies while everyone else indulges. I CAN DO THIS!!!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just made the most delicious spicy watermelon salad! It had cucumbers, mint,  and a serrano chili in it. Yum! I did my first Purre Barre class since being on this program and boy did it wipe me out. I am exhausted!!! I even got over 8.5 hours of sleep. I had a RXBar after but still an so tired!!! Otherwise doing good. Had lamb chops with pesto for dinner. They were also fantastic. Hope everyone else is hanging in there!

Good job getting back to exercising, Lauren. The food you're making sounds interesting and varied. That will help you stay on track for sure! I made a batch of pumpkin chili today that was really good. My 11 year old daughter liked it so much she wants to take it for her lunch tomorrow :) 

I started feeling stressed about all the stuff I have to do the next couple of days and went through a, "I don't know if I feel like doing this Whole30 anymore" moment. It was weird. I guess your mind can throw up resistance at any time. Stress probably brought it on. Good to know.

I'm traveling this weekend for a soccer tournament and it's going to be tough. I have no idea what I will do for breakfast, for example. If I only ate eggs!

But the good news is: Day 9 is done!

Lauren, lamb and pesto sounds good. And getting back to exercise is really good.

Kristen, how awesome that your daughter validated your soup! Is it the recipe in the book? Soup is nice and easy, and good for breakfast. Tomorrow I will have leftover yellow squash soup with chicken sausage. Good luck on your traveling.

With stress, it is just much harder to do something like this. That's why I told my husband I don't want to eat out. I don't want to even think about checking ingredients in a restaurant. So I applaud you for making that extra effort because of travel.

I just looked up the recipe and realized that the kimchi I made which I've been eating DOES have sugar. Honest, i didn't even remember that! :( it doesn't taste sweet. I think I may just need to extend the WHOLE30 longer, but I don't want to say I'm back at day 1. Slipup again on day 9.

So boo for that.

Otherwise I'm doing good today. Pretty normal.

And yes, I think it is surprising and cool how our symptoms follow the timeline. Hangover, tiredness, bloating, food dreams. I think if we can just get through the rest of week 2, and see the "tiger blood," it will be so encouraging.

So I survived a night with friends eating out! Woohoo! The waitress was super excited that I am doing the Whole30 and guided me the whole way! I had carrot, apple, ginger fresh squeezed juice instead of the margaritas my friends were drinking. Then I had a strip steak with chimichuri sauce and asparagus. All in all a success! Still tired and cannot wait to turn off the lights to go to sleep.

You will do great while traveling KL. Even if you just have eggs and some fruit. :) Virginia, I think extending sounds great. Even if you add 9 more days on you won't feel like you are back on day 1. ;D

Good for you Lauren that you made it through your social event clean!  I think I will need to extend, because I realized after the fact as well that I ate dumpling wrappers (even though I made the fillings Whole30 compliant).  I figured I would just eat the filling when I was planning the meal, and then completely forgot and my kids helped me wrap everything (so blessed that they helped).  SO...that is a downer for me.  I wanted to eat Thanksgiving without Whole30.  But the big picture is that by the time I make it do Day 30, even with the wrong count and it's supposed to be 21, I should still be feeling the positive effects that will help.  And I can always have thanksgiving treats in December.  :/  Not giving up.  

Day 10 and 11 is said to be the hardest days, and I certainly feel it. Not just the discouragement from needing to start over, but I am still so tired, low energy. I don't see any positives if this difficult program. And have run into enough people who basically believe it's not going to work. I confess I binged some on random food - eggs, nuts, grapes, meatballs carrots, tomato sauce... Nothing over the rules, but certainly I knew it was because I was just not happy. And that makes a person feel tired. And food is supposed to give you more energy. It's frustrating waiting for the mitochondria to learn to get energy from protein/fat. It's before 8 and I'm ready for bed.

Hanging in there. Goodnight all.

Hi all,

Sorry to hear Virginia that you're not feeling the energy boost. I have been feeling pretty good the past couple of days. I got through my book club without cheating, so that's good. Yay! 

I know that feeling when nothing tastes good/satisfies so you try a bunch of different foods. I think that's your brain looking to be "lit up" by one of the food groups you're not allowed -- sugar, dairy, grains, alcohol all provide that buzz. You're still breaking old habits.

I am gearing up for a weekend of eating whatever "sanctioned" foods I can get my hands on while I'm in Wisconsin (the cheese capital!) for my daughter's soccer tournament. I will not be eating for the yum factor. It's going to be hard! I will no doubt have to slip some Lara Bars in the mix. Wish me luck.

Hope you all enjoy your weekends and get closer to achieving your goals. 

Hi guys!

Busy week so I've been MIA, but still going strong. Almost every night I have a nightmare about eating something non-compliant! I really don't wanna start over, though I have to say it's been easier than I thought. Knock on wood! I spend a ton of time cooking, but everything is really delicious and filling. My only complaint is that I seem to have this need for something (chewable) after dinner to be satisfied. I banished the dates and larabars to my car trunk, but tonight I had some macadamia nuts and didn't really pay attention to the serving size. How badly do you think stuff like that will hinder my results? I'm trying with the herbal tea it's not cutting it. Used to solve this problem with gum, but that's not allowed here.

Anyone feeling any different so far? My nails seem shinier and healthier! This may sound silly but I'm sort of fearing the end and not getting any physical results in regards to my body composition. I am a super-active person by profession (dance/yoga fitness instructor), and not trying to accomplish anything drastic. Just want to my jeans to fit a little looser and have better control over my cravings and knowledge about how different foods affect me. That last 10% is the hardest! Anyone else with me??

Day 10 and 11 is said to be the hardest days, and I certainly feel it. Not just the discouragement from needing to start over, but I am still so tired, low energy. I don't see any positives if this difficult program. And have run into enough people who basically believe it's not going to work. I confess I binged some on random food - eggs, nuts, grapes, meatballs carrots, tomato sauce... Nothing over the rules, but certainly I knew it was because I was just not happy. And that makes a person feel tired. And food is supposed to give you more energy. It's frustrating waiting for the mitochondria to learn to get energy from protein/fat. It's before 8 and I'm ready for bed.

Hanging in there. Goodnight all.

It does get better, honest!

And like you say, days 10 & 11 are the days people typically find the toughest...

Low energy can come from a number of things and a lack of fat in particular can be a big factor, so be sure you're building your meals to the template. Yes, it's a recommendation, but it's there for a reason and I can't stress highly enough how sticking with the template will bring better results.

If you'd like to post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake, indicating portion sizes, along with sleep/stress/activity levels we can take a look and see if you're on the right track.

This may sound silly but I'm sort of fearing the end and not getting any physical results in regards to my body composition. I am a super-active person by profession (dance/yoga fitness instructor), and not trying to accomplish anything drastic. Just want to my jeans to fit a little looser and have better control over my cravings and knowledge about how different foods affect me. That last 10% is the hardest! Anyone else with me??

Dancincrazy141 -- thanks for checking in. Yes, I also fear getting to the end of the Whole30 and being disappointed for whatever reason -- having gained weight (the horror!), not feeling any "different", for example. I'm not overweight and have similar goals to you.

I'm thinking the further you get into the 30 days, the more important it is to stick to the meal templates as closely as possible. That's going to be my focus as I get out of the "transitional woods". I can imagine it would be all too easy to load up on compliant foods that are starchy, or high sugar and finish the Whole30 not much better than when you started. 

What delicious things are you cooking? Do tell!

So glad to hear that you and I are similar, KL! I came to the same conclusion as you about the templates. I stayed "compliant" last week and got all the dates and coconut butter out of my system and now it's time to take it up a notch. For lunch I made some nice burgers (sans bun) with some fresh herbs from my garden and the homemade ketchup from the recipes in the book. Had it over a big bed of lettuce with avocado and some Trader Joe's mini pickles (the best pickles!) and sweet potato "bakes". From the book I also loved the chicken cacciatore, kitchen sink scrambled eggs, and the ground pork with apples and cinnamon for breakfast--I think that one was in a newsletter. Dinner will be a crockpot seafood gumbo with cauliflower rice instead of regular. I don't have the recipe for that one. Googled paleo gumbo and combined two different ones to use ingredients I liked that were compliant. How bout you? Maybe we can hold each other accountable on the templates?

Lauren, lamb and pesto sounds good. And getting back to exercise is really good.

Kristen, how awesome that your daughter validated your soup! Is it the recipe in the book? Soup is nice and easy, and good for breakfast. Tomorrow I will have leftover yellow squash soup with chicken sausage. Good luck on your traveling.

With stress, it is just much harder to do something like this. That's why I told my husband I don't want to eat out. I don't want to even think about checking ingredients in a restaurant. So I applaud you for making that extra effort because of travel.

I just looked up the recipe and realized that the kimchi I made which I've been eating DOES have sugar. Honest, i didn't even remember that! :( it doesn't taste sweet. I think I may just need to extend the WHOLE30 longer, but I don't want to say I'm back at day 1. Slipup again on day 9.

So boo for that.

Otherwise I'm doing good today. Pretty normal.

And yes, I think it is surprising and cool how our symptoms follow the timeline. Hangover, tiredness, bloating, food dreams. I think if we can just get through the rest of week 2, and see the "tiger blood," it will be so encouraging.

Thanks burgards for your encouragement! And dancincrazy you may be right because it is fermented. My slip is more in the dumpling wrappers. Jmcbn, I really couldn't tell you what I ate and how much because I don't know. I've never been someone who measured out how much I eat - it's too much organization for me. And I'm naturally slim and I've always eaten more than basically anyone I know (minus teenage boys), so I never had pressure to develop a habit of measuring. But thank you for your offer. It is a good idea to start a good journal - just more work i was hoping to skip. I have been eating plenty, including fats (avocado and nuts). I think it's just still not quite the quick energy of rice or wheat I'm used to. All right then, pushing on. Goodnight folks. Happy weekend!

I have been eating plenty, including fats (avocado and nuts). I think it's just still not quite the quick energy of rice or wheat I'm used to. All right then, pushing on. Goodnight folks. Happy weekend!

Nuts are not the best source of fat to be relying on - maybe try including more home made mayo, fatty cuts of meat, olives etc., and remember that the fat you use for cooking can pretty much be excluded as most of it stays in the pan.

A food journal is a good idea particularly if you're not feeling great (be it lack of energy, bloating, nausea or whatever) as you can usually pretty quickly pinpoint problem areas or foods - especially when doing reintro. Definitely something to consider.

So I have realized that one cannot reply to this thread on their smart phone. My server went out at work. ;/ I think it is getting a little easier. That being said I went to a Shabbat service last night. I did have a pinch of the challah during the service... the book said that communion was ok... it as to transfer to the Jewish faith too right? I didn't have a slice but literally a pinch after the prayer. I have also realized that there is never an easy time to do this. there will always be social events and temptations...

Happy Saturday you guys! Anyone else on the breakfast struggle bus? Pre-whole 30 I was a bulletproof coffee drinker (coffee blended with fat like MTC, coconut oil, and/or butter), or a green smoothie in the am. Not only am I not usually hungry right when I wake up, but I often dash out the door in the morning to teach or take a yoga or dance class, and much prefer 20 extra minutes of sleep then waking up to prepare and eat a meal I'm not even hungry for. I like the way those things make me feel when I drink them in the morning. I've been trying for breakfast since starting whole 30, but today I wasn't feeling it. So I had some coffee blended with some ghee and a sprinkle of cinnamon, and then when I got hungry at 11am had two hardboiled eggs and an avocado. Can anyone explain to me if and why this sort of thing is going to hinder my results? I just can't seem to justify forcing myself to eat when I'm not hungry. 

Can anyone explain to me if and why this sort of thing is going to hinder my results? I just can't seem to justify forcing myself to eat when I'm not hungry. 

The fact that you're not hungry when wakening is a pretty good indicator that your hormones are out of whack, and eating within an hour of wakening is pretty key in fixing this.

The coffee you took in the past (& this morning) is an appetite suppressant which further hinders the process, and the smoothie whilst not off plan kind of fools your body because it is the act of chewing that kick starts the digestive process - by drinking your food your body doesn't really register that you've eaten so understandably it gets hungry faster and so ultimately you're likely to actually eat more food.

Lauren, just so you know the communion I usually take is equivalent to a pinch as well. So it should be OK. But at least for me we do it only once a month, and its always a choice.

That's what I'm feeling lately. There is body pressure, emotional pressure, environmental pressure to break the rules, but the line that rings in my head is that we are adults and can control what we put in our mouths. I have no idea how much a pinch will affect the results at the end, so I just try to do it as close as possible to see the benefit as clearly as I can. Dont want to suffer for nothing. But yeah, wouldn't it be nice to know how much just a pinch would affect us?

Archived