Looking for a buddy to go throught this with. Start date 10/13

LaurenB

Hi All!

So sorry I haven't posted in a while. Things have been really busy around here. But I'm still with you guys on this journey. I still have sugar cravings and thoughts of eating my old go to junk food. While I'm not thinking about Cokes anymore, I'm still thinking about chocolate. I'm really hoping this program will help those cravings will go away.

I've been eating a lot of letfovers lately since when I cook I try to make a lot of extra. I made Italian sausage and spinach soup and it's really good. Here's a link to the web recipe if you guys are interested. https://coconutmama.wordpress.com/2012/03/08/italian-sausage-and-spinach-soup/

But since this time I'm Whole30 I couldn't just buy the prepackaged Italian sausage at the grocery store. I had to buy the ground pork and find a recipe online with the seasonings to add to it. Same with the diced tomatoes with Italian style seasoning. So while it taseted different from what I usted to, it was still good and I now have experience making these things from scratch.

I definitely have room for improvement, like I was binge eating pistachios, so I don't buy those anymore and eating a few too many larabars when I was bored or between meals. Now I'll have them on hand for only true emergencies.

Thanks so much for posting how things are going! In this with you!

Sonia

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sonia,

I'm also glad that I am learning to cook and use different foods. That is fun for me. Great that you have less Coke cravings! I'm sure sugar cravings will decrease with time also. Cutting back on the Larabars will help too I'm sure.

I've rediscovered a love of cabbage and eggplant lately. And I do like eggs, and have rediscovered how good they are just hardboiled, and my children will eat them up really quickly too. I also don't eat red meat often, and having a little of that yesterday seemed extra delicious. Variety helps. Temptation is easier to pass, because having already said no before makes things easier. Plus there's more of a habit now to think before I eat. My energy is still low, and I'm hoping to see benefits of this diet still, but there's a long time still for me to wait. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy all the learning and rediscovering in this new way of eating.

Good to hear from you and know you're still working with us. :)

So glad to hear that you and I are similar, KL! I came to the same conclusion as you about the templates. I stayed "compliant" last week and got all the dates and coconut butter out of my system and now it's time to take it up a notch. For lunch I made some nice burgers (sans bun) with some fresh herbs from my garden and the homemade ketchup from the recipes in the book. Had it over a big bed of lettuce with avocado and some Trader Joe's mini pickles (the best pickles!) and sweet potato "bakes". From the book I also loved the chicken cacciatore, kitchen sink scrambled eggs, and the ground pork with apples and cinnamon for breakfast--I think that one was in a newsletter. Dinner will be a crockpot seafood gumbo with cauliflower rice instead of regular. I don't have the recipe for that one. Googled paleo gumbo and combined two different ones to use ingredients I liked that were compliant. How bout you? Maybe we can hold each other accountable on the templates?

All the food you're eating sounds delicious Dancincrazy141! I was out of town this weekend, just surviving while at a soccer tournament. I'm happy to say I stayed on Whole30. Ate a lot of salads with chicken or salmon on top so I look forward to cooking again this week. And yes, I would like to stick to templates as much as possible for the rest of the Whole30. Today is Day 15, woo hoo! Nearly halfway done and feeling good :)

Hey everyone, we are on Day 15!!! I thought it was time to share some of the good stuff. Hopefully we are all feeling some kind of improvements. Here are mine:

-Energy levels have increased. They dipped at first but now I feel more energetic than pre-Whole30.

-TOM symptoms decreased. No PMS headache, acne, or bloat. I would gain about 3 pounds every cycle and I could tell from the way my clothes fit that didn't happen this time around.

-Sugar cravings decreased. After meals, I would often feel like eating something sweet and I'm not feeling that anymore. A piece of chocolate doesn't even sound appetizing. 

-Broke the "5 O'Clock glass of wine" habit. It had become a ritual to have a glass of wine while preparing dinner. And then sometimes a second glass with my meal. The first week this was really hard for me. But glad that I have broken the habit. I will definitely reintroduce wine after Whole30 but I want to enjoy it mindfully and not rely on it to relax, etc.

-Proud of myself. A few years ago I would have thought I couldn't do Whole30 because it was too hard. 

Hope you can relate to some of these and share your own successes!

It is a good idea to start a good journal - just more work i was hoping to skip.

Virginia, I would encourage you to write down what you eat every day. It doesn't have to be a lot of work. I have a very simple spreadsheet I use to record my breakfast, lunch, dinner and any snacks. It probably takes less than 5 minutes/per day. I don't record amounts, I just write down what I eat: broiled walleye, salad with oil and vinegar, stirfried vegetables zucchini, peppers.

I also have a comments field for each day to write down how I'm feeling. So if I'm bloated, tired, constipated, full of energy, hungry/not hungry it goes in the comments. The best part of this is you can go back and see patterns. Which foods/meals make you feel good or bad. It also keeps you accountable. If you know you have to write down everything you eat, it may stop you from eating something questionable. Just my two cents!

Yes Kristen, thank you for your encouragement and recommendation. You are right. If I don't intend to live with this diet forever, it is in my best interest to be more careful about what exactly I'm eating. And being someone who has trouble with overeating, at least writing down what I eat would be a good place to start.

I'm excited for you all who may be feeling that "Tiger blood" tomorrow. I am not someone who regularly exercises, and I've had trouble sleeping for years, so I'm hoping that I will continue to just gradually improve in my energy/sleep, and exercise. I do feel like I am enjoying the real food I eat. Cravings don't have so much power over me (basically no power now, as it's black and white, just say "no" - but I think this will be much harder once it's possible to say yes, though that is not a concern for today). And though I still enjoy being very full, it's hard to overeat on something like salmon and sweet potatoes. They just obviously become much less delicious. And that's a good thing. So I am thankful and praise God for this.

Goodnight!!

Is anyone else finding it hard to fall asleep? Before a moderator asks if I'm drinking coffee ;) No, I drank no coffee yesterday, worked out in the morning and ate 3 eggs and a sweet potato for breakfast. Jicama sticks as a snack, a chicken patty with a baked sweet potato for lunch, and a turkey burger with roasted root vegetables for dinner. Fortunately, I'm less tired than I was before starting this, but I'm finding that I am falling asleep later these past couple of days.

No Tiger Blood as of yet... hopefully that will kick in in the next couple of days.

Actually, I also eliminated my caffeine (used to try tea) and I also had trouble falling back asleep in the middle of the night (still waking at night). I was wide awake at 2:30am. Not worried about anything.

I saw on a blog that some Paleo followers wear shades at night to block the spectrums of light we associate with daytime. I'm trying that.

I'm again, feeling pretty good. Stable energy in the day. I think the biggest benefit is that I feel like I don't need to watch myself as much with overeating now because the rules are simple. Palm-sized protein, then vegetables. Add the fats (1/2 avocado or closed handful of nuts or open handful of olives), fruit 1-2 fists a day. I'm not actually keeping track of the nuts and fruits so well, but I think it's in the ballpark. Plus I'm underweight actually. But because I'm just eating good food (food WITH brakes) then I know when I'm full, and I'm ready to stop. That's the best benefit for me so far.

It is a whole lot more meat than I used to eat though. Not sure how I feel about that long term.

Goodnight all. Happy congratulations for getting past the awful first half of this challenge!!

Is anyone else finding it hard to fall asleep? Before a moderator asks if I'm drinking coffee ;) No, I drank no coffee yesterday, worked out in the morning and ate 3 eggs and a sweet potato for breakfast. Jicama sticks as a snack, a chicken patty with a baked sweet potato for lunch, and a turkey burger with roasted root vegetables for dinner. Fortunately, I'm less tired than I was before starting this, but I'm finding that I am falling asleep later these past couple of days.

No Tiger Blood as of yet... hopefully that will kick in in the next couple of days.

Have you tried adding in a magnesium supplement or taking a bath in some epsom salts?

If you go the magnesium route opt for magnesium citrate over the oxide - it's a little pricier but it's more easily absorbed and therefore more effective. The vast majority of us are magnesium deficient these days due to the depletion of magnesium in our soils from modern farming techniques so neither option will do you any harm.

Sorry for jumping the gun on Day 15. We are now on Day 16, if I'm counting correctly! I had a great day yesterday, foodwise. I browned a big batch of ground turkey which I plan to eat over the course of the week.

I have been getting mild headaches at night. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, I'm back to not being regular, which is so frustrating! Is my digestive system ever going to adjust? I'm getting plenty of fiber. This is an ongoing challenge for me so maybe it's just my body and it might be too much to expect daily No. 2s like clockwork. Sounds weird, but I do envy those people!

I feel like I've had glimpses of tiger blood, like at yoga yesterday I felt amazing. But it doesn't last the entire day.

Keep up the good work everyone! 

Hi guys!

Sorry for not being so quick to reply to your posts. Been pretty busy with work lately. I'm not sure what this elusive "tiger blood" is supposed to be, but I can happily say that I am feeling good. Considerably energetic and happy for how much I have going on right now. I spend most of my days in yoga pants, and haven't tried on my jeans recently, but I feel a little lighter and tighter and hoping it's not just in my head. I'm doing better with the whole meal template and eating breakfast thing, though sometimes I miss the target and either overeat (too many scrambled eggs and veggies on Sunday and didn't get hungry for lunch until around 4pm!) Today I had some of the ground pork with cinnamon and apples and was hungry a few hours later. Should have added some veggies, but none on hand that sounded appetizing at 7:30am. At least I was hungry for breakfast today!

Not going to lie, I'm still a little skeptical about my bulletproof coffee and morning smoothies doing me more harm than good. Could have eaten so much spinach if I had been allowed to blend it with some pumpkin, 1/2 a banana and ice! I'm also skeptical about how much more meat I've been eating. But I figure nothing else has given me results in the past so I'm gonna go with it, and trust, and see how I feel a month in.  Anyone have any good articles with scientific backing on the whole meat and breakfast thing? I guess I'm just looking for more than what the book offered. Always open to new ideas, but old habits die hard!

Congrats everyone on all your improvements and staying (mostly) on the wagon!

Hi guys!

Sorry for not being so quick to reply to your posts. Been pretty busy with work lately. I'm not sure what this elusive "tiger blood" is supposed to be, but I can happily say that I am feeling good. Considerably energetic and happy for how much I have going on right now. I spend most of my days in yoga pants, and haven't tried on my jeans recently, but I feel a little lighter and tighter and hoping it's not just in my head. I'm doing better with the whole meal template and eating breakfast thing, though sometimes I miss the target and either overeat (too many scrambled eggs and veggies on Sunday and didn't get hungry for lunch until around 4pm!) Today I had some of the ground pork with cinnamon and apples and was hungry a few hours later. Should have added some veggies, but none on hand that sounded appetizing at 7:30am. At least I was hungry for breakfast today!

Not going to lie, I'm still a little skeptical about my bulletproof coffee and morning smoothies doing me more harm than good. Could have eaten so much spinach if I had been allowed to blend it with some pumpkin, 1/2 a banana and ice! I'm also skeptical about how much more meat I've been eating. But I figure nothing else has given me results in the past so I'm gonna go with it, and trust, and see how I feel a month in.  Anyone have any good articles with scientific backing on the whole meat and breakfast thing? I guess I'm just looking for more than what the book offered. Always open to new ideas, but old habits die hard!

I could have written your post above dancincrazy141. Feel a little slimmer (though not going No. 2 regularly doesn't help). I have been concerned since day 1 about how much animal protein is required on the Whole30. It's not normal for my diet at all and I doubt I will keep it up long term. But this is an interesting experiment and I'm committed to the 30 days as well. It's like I'm daring Whole30 to prove me wrong!

Hi all,

So yesterday and the day before I started working out just a bit to try to get more energy. But later in the day, just from getting up wrong I think, my knee started to hurt, and instead of getting better it got worse until I hobbled into bed. So I'm not exercising today. Woke up painless, but has not started feeling tender and warm again.

Also sleep was better. I really wanted to sleep through the night, but still had the need to use the bathroom. (I'm only 34 and have been religiously stopping any fluids after 7pm, so this should not be happening.). And this morning I definitely wanted to continue sleeping when the alarm woke me, which is strange for me. So I'm improving.

I have had constipation problems before the Whole30, but I did feel like it has made me have more problems here. I do think it is important to be regular. I try to remedy it by drinking more water, going when you need to go, and doing some exercise. I've heard different views in bananas - found this thru Google that seems to summarize well http://www.constipationexperts.co.uk. Maybe try prunes? It should get better with time, as I think for people who don't usually consume much animal protein, our bodies are adjusting. But for now, try everything.

Have a good day, all!

Today is my worst day yet. (mentally) I'm just ready to be done. I feel good, and think that I look better so there is no reason to feel like this, but damn I just want a drink with friends. I have a big event tonight that I'm on the board for and there will be wine and sushi. UGH! I'm thinking that tomorrow I will feel better. I made the sweet potato soup and it was delicious. Not quite sure why I am in such a funk.

I hear ya, Lauren! The deprivation mindset is just so difficult. I am off to another event tonight myself, granted it's a soccer party for 8-year-olds but I can't eat ANYTHING at this pizza place. So I'm making myself a meal beforehand. So. Tired. Of. This.

Kristen and Lauren,

I don't know why but today I was actually really tired, physically. I thought it was a good sign that I was in deep sleep at night and that I was actually sleepy this morning (meaning that I would have been able to physically sleep longer if my schedule has permitted it). But I sort of stayed sleepy for a looong time. Don't know why. It was not pleasant.

Ah well.

Good job hanging in there, even with the social pressures! You are doing something good for your body, and its not easy but you're still doing it. That's pretty awesome.

Gosh, I am cranky! My digestion is off. My mood is off. I am eating really well but not feeling well. I don't know why at Day 17 this is happening. It's so disappointing!

How's your sleep? Stress? If you are female, where are you at with respect to your monthly cycle?

I'm not stressed, I sleep well and I just finished TOM. I'm very confused about why I'm feeling so bad!

Feel free to post a few days of your meals, water consumption, nightly hours of sleep and any exercise in the Troubleshooting section, and we can see if anything stands out.

I have a new theory about the mild headaches and why I'm feeling bad in the evenings. It may be from caffeine that I'm drinking during the day via black tea. I do drink a lot of tea most days (I leave the tea bag in and top up with hot water and do this 2-3 times per day through mid-afternoon). Quite a few nights of the week, I would have a glass of wine with dinner. I know caffeine constricts blood vessels and alcohol enlarges them. I wonder if the wine was preventing me from getting a caffeine headache pre-Whole30? I am going to have only one cup of tea in the morning today and see if it makes a difference. 

Good thinking. Worth investigating. Today I really want a treat. Maybe the deprivation mentality you all were talking about. I made pumpkin bread for my children's class and also for their school carnival baked goods donation last night. I didn't have any. But I admit to scrolling online to look for homemade Larabars type recipes. I really want a treat. I've been eating nuts regularly because of this Whole30 as my oil and I think I'm wanting more variety in it.

Archived