Looking for a buddy to go throught this with. Start date 10/13

LaurenB

1. Funny that we all hit a funk at the same time. UGH. I'm so frustrated! I feel like this is a bit of social suicide. How am I supposed to date? "No I can't meet you for a drink, but how about a sparkling water??" "Sure I can do dinner but you need to take me to a place where I can get a steak and steamed broccoli." I sound like such a catch! This weekend I'm going to a couple of parties armed with my own whole30 compliant drinks so that I can look like I'm drinking. #overthis

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Funny that we all hit a funk at the same time. UGH. I'm so frustrated! I feel like this is a bit of social suicide. How am I supposed to date? "No I can't meet you for a drink, but how about a sparkling water??" "Sure I can do dinner but you need to take me to a place where I can get a steak and steamed broccoli." I sound like such a catch! This weekend I'm going to a couple of parties armed with my own whole30 compliant drinks so that I can look like I'm drinking. #overthis

Melissa wrote an article a couple years ago about dating while on a Whole30. You might find it helpful: http://whole30.com/2013/09/dear-melissa-dating/

Good thinking. Worth investigating. Today I really want a treat. Maybe the deprivation mentality you all were talking about. I made pumpkin bread for my children's class and also for their school carnival baked goods donation last night. I didn't have any. But I admit to scrolling online to look for homemade Larabars type recipes. I really want a treat. I've been eating nuts regularly because of this Whole30 as my oil and I think I'm wanting more variety in it.

Are you getting in enough fat other than nuts?  Nuts are recommended to be limited on a Whole30.  Getting enough fat, along with eating enough in general, may help with wanting treats.

If you like, feel free to post a few days worth of your food log in the Troubleshooting section, and we can see if we can offer tweaks to help.

Melissa wrote an article a couple years ago about dating while on a Whole30. You might find it helpful: http://whole30.com/2013/09/dear-melissa-dating/

It is a great article... However, if one does get accidentally dose you do still have to start all over.... NO THANKS to that right now.... I'll just stick it out for 12 more days....

GFChris, I did start a good journal, but I didn't put amounts. I usually eat when I am sitting down, family style, heating up this and that as I go to finish leftovers, and then often I'm not sitting down. I don't have a food scale. With nuts, I can't grab a handful because I don't want to touch them because my daughter is allergic and if I accidentally touch her her skin she will react. There are ways of going around this, but I'm just giving some reasons for why it's hard to have a food journal with amounts.

Having said that, I realized that maybe I have to use the bathroom at night, even after not drinking anything 2 hours plus before bedtime, because I am overeating. I have probably become used to overeating as a stress reliever, and even if I'm eating just meat and vegetables, it's possible to still eat too much soup or vegetables holding water that my body can't process it out in time for my bedtime.

As for the oils, I started out with 1/2 avocado as my oil at meal time, eating probably twice as much as recommended at a meal because Costco avocados are really twice a big. But this past week I tried more nuts (ran out of avocado and wanted variety for fun). I stuck to macadamia, cashews, and hazelnuts as I remember those were the least problematic. Adding oil in my food beyond the cooking oil seems weird to me. I haven't bought pasteurized or pastured eggs yet to make mayo because that would be just another expense - but maybe these are steps I just need to take. I've spent more than I usually do on food, and I was trying not to do everything if it wasn't necessary.

All right then. I do really want to sleep better, so I will try again to plate my food, eat avocados for oil, and limit fruit (so sad). Maybe that way I can get around really weighing out my food (that seems the most work of all).

Wish me the best.

Thanks for checking in with us, GFChris, so we increase our chances for not missing out on the positive benefits we may be able to get in this program. This is really hard, but if it works it's worth it.

All right then. I do really want to sleep better, so I will try again to plate my food, eat avocados for oil, and limit fruit (so sad). Maybe that way I can get around really weighing out my food (that seems the most work of all).

Wish me the best.

I'm curious: why have you been weighing your food? Whole30 does not recommend that approach.

Use the meal template and satiety to guide your portion sizes. http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Ahhh Lauren, it IS social suicide! My husband has been really understanding so far, but I think he is starting to lose his patience with me. Tonight his brother and his family are coming over and they want to order takeout. AWESOME. He asked what I wanted. Can't do pizza, pretty much anything asian is out because of the soy, no sushi. So I just told him to get whatever everyone else wants and if I can't eat it I'll just figure something out for myself. Great. A few more family functions like this and I think everyone will start to worry that I have an eating disorder. Tomorrow we are watching the Bears game with friends and I sneakily asked if I could bring something (so that I'd have something compliant) and of course they asked for a dessert. I CAN'T EVEN EAT FAUX-DESSERT!! On a positive note, I can say that I feel pretty great energy wise, and got my first compliment today! Was taking a bootcamp class with a friend who asked if I lost weight and told me I looked great! I'm not great at recognizing that stuff in myself, so I'll keep that as motivation to continue for 11 more days. I think I could eat like this most of the time, but not 100%. At some point I have to not be so uptight, and I think I'd be willing to sacrifice feeling 100% a couple of days a month, so that I don't have to order a house salad with no croutons and no dressing while everyone else eats Lou Malnati's Pizza!!  :o

GFChris, I don't weigh out my food. I was just thinking that I was supposed to put portion sizes in my food journal if I REALLY want to know if I'm overeating. But I've eaten more than other people most of the time, too, so I kind of feel even my healthy portions would look abnormal. Today I did the 1-2 palm sized protein on my plate, and the vegetables and avocado or olives around it for fat. I didn't feel like I was hungry and didn't need a treat, so I'm pretty happy about that. Thanks for your suggestion!

Kristen, I was looking up about magnesium and constipation relief and it sounds like we should eat salmon/mackerel/tuna, leafy greens (baby spinach), of you want to try to get it from foods. Turnips are supposed to help also. And of course bananas is that controversial one. Because I have that problem too, and its weird because I know I'm eating a lot of fiber and drinking a lot of water. I feel it must be the health of the good bacteria in the digestive system (of lack of) and the extra meat we aren't used to.

Lauren and Dancincrazy, yeah, it's too bad those words in Melissa's blog or from the book can't come rolling of my tongue, because it sounds so easy from the book. But unfortunately, it seems avoiding talking in detail is the easiest way to steer socially. I tend to get a little depressed talking to others about it because to most people the diet is extreme and we are suffering for nothing.

Anyways, happy Halloween all! Have a good rest of your weekend. :)

doing my reading and will begin November 3rd.  love of veggies and healthy eating is a good foundation.  it's the little/BIG  hurdles that are scaring me and it's all around SUGAR and begins with the morning (ritual) cup of coffee that I take with almond milk and stevia.  sounds silly....?  yes!

eager to start, go through the first rough days and find myself in cruise control!  is there any detailed shopping list, ie is silk almond milk ok?

barbara

eager to start, go through the first rough days and find myself in cruise control!  is there any detailed shopping list, ie is silk almond milk ok?

Welcome, Barbara.

We typically don't recommend specific brands on this forum, as ingredients can change and vary by region. Best bet is to make your own nut milk.

Hey guys, just so you don't think I fell off the face of the earth, I wanted to let you know I'm calling it quits at day 20. This just isn't working for me. I am going to keep a lot of the "healthy" habits but incorporate more of the foods that I know work for me going forward. It's been good to detox from sugar, grains, dairy, alcohol. The focus on animal proteins just isn't sustainable for me long term. Good luck to you all and I hope you find the results/answers you are looking for!!!!

Welcome Barbara! I don't drink coffee, but I know some people put coconut cream/milk to help it. I think a big habit to learn in this program is to read the ingredients. You don't want to have to restart at Day 1 just because you accidentally had something you shouldn't have. No sweeteners (besides fruit juice) allowed (and even fruit juice of to be used with caution because I think the first attack of this program comes from the "Sugar Dragon" we try to slay. It is ROUGH in the first week, but I think a little easier after that. :)

Hi Kristen, We wish you all the best. It really did seem like you had extra hurdles so I can see why you'd want to stop. Nice to learn some tricks though, like the craving versus hunger test? Take care of yourself. :)

Thanks, Virginia. Yes, I was hoping that the results would be worth it and make me want to stick it out. But without eating eggs or red meat, it was too hard to get enough protein at every meal. All that animal protein was just too much for me and my body was not liking it!

I don't know if it's allowed to mention other ways of eating, but I have been following The Plan by Lyn-Genet Recitas for a few years and I feel it's a better fit for me. I'm going back to it. Just wanted to mention in case you or others in this group want to look into it after completing your Whole30. All the best!

Ok Ive decided to make Oct 28 as my start date so I will finish later. Because in the long run I'm hoping to do this with my daughter who has a lot of allergy/food issues (systemic inflammation) and I know I will need to do it with her as well. Plus its not a diet that hurts me long term, and I've already hit over the most difficult part - learning to be more careful about ingredients, the initial sugar/carb deprivation crash and saying no to temptation. I enjoy what I'm eating. And after my daughter ideally I would like to do it with my two other children also, because they also have eczema and a problematic sweet tooth. So it makes this extension not a big deal. I won't have traditional Thanksgiving sweets, but I will be making some fruit and nut bar for the special occasion. That makes me feel better. :)

Hey Lauren, Dancincrazy, Sonny? You feeling the Tiger blood yet? I'm feeling pretty good. Did a very light jog today because my knee's bed feeling better since yesterday. Bathroom problem is gone. And had more sleep thanks to husband helping and time change. It's nice that my body has adapted to using fat and protein for energy. Hope you are all well too!

I feel pretty good, but nothing "miraculous." I definitely feel better than I did before, but no better than I did last week. I have also been getting headaches due to the weather shifts...

I am so grateful that this no drinking thing will be over before the holidays!

Nothing miraculous, but still feeling pretty good. I am curious what my end results will be. I was already eating pretty closely to this before (prior to my Europe trip/bread and wine binge), so I hope I'm not too underwhelmed. I feel like it's so hard for me to notice subtle changes in my body, and thankfully didn't have any major health issues when I started. I've caught some glimpses of tiger blood, but nothing constant. Are you guys feeling major changes?

Archived