Starting October 19th - Anyone else?

jenvalet

Hey all!

I'm planning to start on October 19th!  I'm a single mom to an amazing almost 5-year old boy.  I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and had cervical (neck) spinal surgery about 3 months ago. I'm still recovering, but I've used food to comfort me.  Can't do it anymore!  I'm generally feeling lousy and want my life back!  So here I am!  :)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am starting today! I also have a son who turned 5 yesterday.  Hoping I feel better after whole30 because I am feeling like a bad mom lately.  He will ask me to play and I end up sitting on the ground doing nothing.  Usually because my stomach or head hurts from something I ate.  Hoping to narrow down which foods hate my body!  Good luck to everyone starting soon and hope it is going well for everyone who already started.

I might start tomorrow the 16th or the 17th...but if I don't, I'll start absolutely on the 19th like the rest of you.

I can do this, but I need someone to bounce off of - so I can check in and say "AUGH THIS SUCKS I WANT CRAPPY FOOD!" :)

Generally, I rarely cook - but when I do, I cook Whole30 meals because those are the only cookbooks I have...and I've gone as far as 21 days but I've never done a full 30 days.

I hope that by joining this group, I can check in on a regular basis so I don't give in and eat badly - especially those first several days as my body detoxes and I go all foggy and irritabile.

Thanks!

Rollo

Starting my second full Whole30 on the 19th. Successfully finished my first on Sept. 23rd. Can't wait to get back in the swing. I had very good results with the first one after working up to it over the course of 8 months eliminating various items, gluten, grains, legumes and finally dairy during the start. Sweeteners were not a problem, since i am not a dessert eater or sweetener adder, nor do I drink soda or juices. Looking forward to this next round.

Hopefully I can be of service to anyone starting their first one and a supporter to all.

Best of luck everyone. 

GoMeat!

ChefMike

I'm starting on October 19th too!  Super excited and nervous!  My struggles are going to be weekly game night (aka pizza night) with friends, Halloween parties, my anniversary, and a weekend trip up to Big Bear!  *fingers crossed*

Hi!!

I'll be starting on Monday as well. I have tried whole30 before, made it only to day 21... But I found so many benefits I want to start it again. For the last month I got some LBs back, and I can feel my back is not liking it. 

Looking forward to cleaning up this weekend and start motivated on Monday! See you all there! :D

I am planning to start on the 19th as well! On one hand, I am skeptical about results and not too sure about my willpower but on the other, I am excited about the possibilities. Let's see how it goes. Good luck to all of us!

If anyone on this thread feels they need help through this - hey, i know I do!! - and wants a "Whole 30 buddy", PM me.  i'd be totally up for getting texts going "i desperately want pancakes" and me responding "you've been doing great so far. just keep going one more meal!!...."  Like I said, i know i could use help, too.

Anyway, if anyone think they can use a buddy, let me know.

Rollo

Hi everyone,

I'm going to start on 10/19 as well. I'm a busy working mom of 2 and my biggest concern is just finding the time to learn how to do the food right and make what I need. I'm doing this because I've just never felt quite right after baby #2 (she's 20 months). I have a lot of back and hip/glute pain and my tailbone is out of alignment. I heard that this was an anti-inflamation diet, so hoping to see if I can cure some of these ailments without having to see a doctor.

I think the thing I am most nervous about is breakfast. And also general flow of meals/snacks throughout the day. Any good recos for breakfast that are easy for working moms? Good smoothie recipes perhaps? Also, is Whole30 anti-snacking? I'm a bit confused about the flow of meals throughout the day (ie. time between main meals, allowances for snacks etc). Fyi, I'm not going to be cooking a ton...we have someone who cooks us 4 family dinners/week, so we're having them prepared in-line with Whole30. To fill in the blanks I need easy stuff for breakfast, lunch and maybe one or two other dinners, so any tips are appreciated. I'm not a fish person.

I'm excited about how I will feel 31 days from now. Scared about navigating this week with work, kids and husband.

I've never been a forum person, but if it will help, I'm in!

Best,

Dana

I'm starting either tomorrow or Monday too. I need to stock my frig with the right foods first.

My biggest challenge is my job! I'm in the wine and spirits business and have to taste wine and spirits every week. I always spit it out but it's still swirled around in my mouth and I'm sure a small amount gets absorbed into my system. I'm hoping this won't throw off my entire Whole30 as I don't have a choice if I want to keep paying my mortgage :)

I won't be drinking at all for the next 30 days but I do have several tastings, luckily my first big one isn't until the 30th so I'll have almost 2 weeks down first.

Any good recos for breakfast that are easy for working moms? Good smoothie recipes perhaps? Also, is Whole30 anti-snacking?

Hey there!  I just got done reading up to the recipes in the Whole30 cookbook, and here's a few answers to those questions:

I know a lot of the breakfast recipes have to do with eggs.  Lots of eggs.  But if you get tired of eggs, you can always try any of the other dishes, or eat leftovers from the night before!  I know we're not used to it, but it's totally fine to eat chicken, some fruit, and some veggies for breakfast.

They recommend against smoothies, but it's not forbidden.  The reasoning is that smoothies tend to have a lot of fruit (they recommend keeping it at 2 servings per day, but it's up to you if you want to follow that.)  Part of the issue with these is that it may hinder the battle against extinguishing your sugar cravings if you're having a high-sugar content smoothie, even if it is from real fruit.  But once again, it's all recommendations, and you decide how hard you wanna go with this!  If you are going to do smoothies, maybe try to add in veggies like kale or spinach.

As for snacking, they prefer that we eat in meals with minimal snacking, but once again feel it out.  Adjust your serving sizes per meal until you can feel that you can go between meals without needing a snack. But at the same time, don't starve yourself!  If you're hungry, then eat!  Otherwise you're just starving yoru body (may not be taking in enough calories) and that always ends up crashing and landing into binge-eating land.  So play around with it, try to find that sweet spot.  And if you happen to have an apple or some carrots between meals, don't get down on yourself about it!

Anyone going to be using any helpful tips to try to organize and prepare their kitchen and meals?  I live in a house with 5 other people (yikes!) and I'm the only one doing this.  Trying to organize a separate space for myself is a lost cause, so for me I'm going to buy green stickers and place them on all the things (spices, canned goods, etc.) that I CAN eat, so when I'm looking through the cupboards and whatnot I don't have to constantly read the labels.

Also, I'm going to make all of my condiments/sauces tomorrow so they are ready to use come Monday.  Mayo, ketchup, salad dressings, clarified butter, etc.   I'll probably get some bone broth going in a crockpot too if I can. Anything to make the cooking/meal-prep process faster and easier (assuming all of my kitchen ordered materials come in tomorrow!).  Any other helpful ideas you'd like to share?

I am also planning on a starting the 19th!!!!! Please share any easy breakfast tips with me...I struggle most with eating breakfast! and indulging in sweet lol 

Start by thinking about breakfast as "Meal 1."  Anything you eat at the other two meals of the day, you can have at your first meal of the day.  Prepping ahead of time or having leftovers tend to be the easiest approaches.

For best results, we recommend composing all of your meals to follow the recommended meal template.

Regarding indulging in sweets, Whole30 has a couple of philosophies to help with that. First, when you feel a sweet craving, ask yourself if you're genuinely hungry. Our litmus test for that is to ask if you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli. If yes, the recommendation is to have a mini-meal of protein, veg and fat. (avoid eating fruit by itself - fruit is optional on a Whole30. If you're going to consume it, the recommendation is 1-2 daily servings with a meal, not by itself. A serving is a whole piece of fruit the size of your fist.) If the answer is no, then do something non-food related: call a friend, read a book, do a puzzle, paint your nails, whatever. 

Good morning! I am starting the whole 30 tomorrow, october 19! I've never done anything like this before. Hope it will rebalance me and improve my energy levels, sleep patterns, and address long time digestive problems - looking forward to wellness! Planning shopping list and meals now.... Good luck everyone!

Day 1

Ready and anxious to get started. Shopped yesterday, weight and measurements done. Making some sausage and spaghetti sauce for the week.

What is everyone else planning for the week?

Going to do my shopping today. Did my clean out yesterday and having my last bash tonight, but only off plan is bread and a dessert on almond cloud cookies from King Arther store in VT (my vacation was great). I have eaten mostly Paleo for a year and a half now, so transitioning to this plan was very easy.

The only things I really miss, are half&half in my coffee in the morning (sun good coconut milk) and whole butter(sub ghee). Salads with lots of avocado dressing or Dump Ranch is a meal starter, followed by 2 veg servings and 4-6 oz of meat or fish or eggs. I try to keep my wax potato portions and fruit, small and down to 3 portions a week (1 cup only). I fill my plate with greens, cabbages, and cauliflower rice or broccoli stir fries. Noodles made from cabbage(yum), Black mushroom strips, or collard greens. I developed strategies to satisfy my textural and mouth feel needs while staying clean and flavorful (key to success). It takes lots of practice, and it helps that I am a trained and practices chef, but anyone can do this to varying degrees. Ask and you shall receive.

Here's to hoping that everyone will make the best of it, and reach out when help is needed. Learn to accept your weaknesses and not let them overwhelm you.

ChefMike 

Archived