Vegetable side dishes - need suggestions

acjohnston09

Starting Round 2 of Whole 39 this week. I am looking for easy ways to add in vegetables. This round I want to shoot for getting those 5-6 cups of veggies in over a day. How do you get your veggies in? Any simple veg side dish ideas for when you get home after a busy day? Any good veggie casseroles that you make ahead and use throughout the week? Thank you everyone for your ideas!

Actually its recommended we have 1-3 cups of veggies at each meal and that comes out to 3-9 and its recommended we be close to the 9 cups. I gave you the Well Fed website in your other post and she has great cookups you can do in a couple of hours and you have protein, soups, stews, veggies, sauces for the week. Take a look.

If I'm doing a stir-fry, I chop up lots & lots of extra vegs and take out what I don't want for that meal before adding meat or seasonings. When I want to use those vegs for another meal, I might just heat them & add a bit of ghee, or I might add coconut milk & curry powder. Both things change it up a bit. I am also really fond of blended soups. BIG batches. It's such an easy thing to grab. I will even eat most of my meal & then grab a mug of blended soup (travel mug) to drink on my way to meetings in the evening. I also like blended veg soup for lazy breakfasts. I had been making a carrot (or squash, or pumpkin) casserole by blending cooked carrots with eggs & coconut cream & adding ginger & pepper.... using a stick blender right in the ghee-greased casserole dish. That's easy & filling.

If you come up with any other creative ways of adding vegs, I hope you post them. Have fun!

If I'm doing a stir-fry, I chop up lots & lots of extra vegs and take out what I don't want for that meal before adding meat or seasonings. When I want to use those vegs for another meal, I might just heat them & add a bit of ghee, or I might add coconut milk & curry powder. Both things change it up a bit. I am also really fond of blended soups. BIG batches. It's such an easy thing to grab. I will even eat most of my meal & then grab a mug of blended soup (travel mug) to drink on my way to meetings in the evening. I also like blended veg soup for lazy breakfasts. I had been making a carrot (or squash, or pumpkin) casserole by blending cooked carrots with eggs & coconut cream & adding ginger & pepper.... using a stick blender right in the ghee-greased casserole dish. That's easy & filling.

If you come up with any other creative ways of adding vegs, I hope you post them. Have fun!

Do you have a recipe for a blended soup you like?

Actually its recommended we have 1-3 cups of veggies at each meal and that comes out to 3-9 and its recommended we be close to the 9 cups. I gave you the Well Fed website in your other post and she has great cookups you can do in a couple of hours and you have protein, soups, stews, veggies, sauces for the week. Take a look.

There is absolutely no way I will eat 9 cups of veggies in a day. I would have no room left for protein/healthy fats. Maybe if I take that vegetarian route... Thanks!

• Moderators

All of these are good to make ahead and leave in the fridge for a few days:  This is really a salad dressing, but it's got carrots in it, and it's tasty on lots of things -- by the end of the week, when I'm getting tired of things like breakfast casseroles or whatever I've been eating for several days in a row, I just put a dollop or two of this on top of it to change up the flavor. I also like to make baba ganoush and dip vegetables in it, because then you're dipping your veggies in another veggie. Sweet & Salty Broccoli Salad is good, but requires you to find compliant bacon, which can be hard. Belly Dance Beet Salad is good too. You can always pre-roast vegetables, and just heat them up, either in the microwave or on the stove. 

All of these are good to make ahead and leave in the fridge for a few days:  This is really a salad dressing, but it's got carrots in it, and it's tasty on lots of things -- by the end of the week, when I'm getting tired of things like breakfast casseroles or whatever I've been eating for several days in a row, I just put a dollop or two of this on top of it to change up the flavor. I also like to make baba ganoush and dip vegetables in it, because then you're dipping your veggies in another veggie. Sweet & Salty Broccoli Salad is good, but requires you to find compliant bacon, which can be hard. Belly Dance Beet Salad is good too. You can always pre-roast vegetables, and just heat them up, either in the microwave or on the stove. 

These are great!! Thanks so much Shannon. The dressing and baba ganoush both look great. I can use proscuitto for the broccoli salad which also sounds wonderful.  You mention breakfast casseroles. Any favorites you want to mention? Thanks!!

This is a favorite of mine: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-breakfast-casserole/

I substitute 1/2 a rutabaga for the turnips, and use either ground turkey, pork or beef along with Italian seasonings in place of the sausage. I cut the cooking times by 5 minutes in each phase.

Thank you for sharing! I am going to give this a try.

try making some hardier veggies as "fries" sweet potato, parsnips, carrots. I cut slices, toss in olive oil and whatever spices you like and bake at 450 for 20-30 min depending on the veg. Somehow fries always go down easiest. I also like making a spaghetti squash at the start of the week and its an easy reheat for any meal. For myself personally I dont really enjoy leafy greens as a leftover, I like to saute them as i need them. 

try making some hardier veggies as "fries" sweet potato, parsnips, carrots. I cut slices, toss in olive oil and whatever spices you like and bake at 450 for 20-30 min depending on the veg. Somehow fries always go down easiest. I also like making a spaghetti squash at the start of the week and its an easy reheat for any meal. For myself personally I dont really enjoy leafy greens as a leftover, I like to saute them as i need them. 

Good idea Erica. I have done this with sweet potato's - Against All Grain has a recipe I really like but haven't though to try parsnips and carrots. That might happen this evening!

I have been on the cucumber salad train lately when I need a *fast* side. Thinly slice cucumber (a mandolin slicer or food processor is a big help here) and toss in a dressing based on avocado or olive oil. The one I did last night was avocado oil, lime juice, a splash of vinegar, cilantro, and a litany of spices (cumin, coriander, chili powder, celery seed, and cracked red pepper). This was ready in about 10 minutes, and pairs nicely with just about any meat.

This is a favorite of mine: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-breakfast-casserole/

I substitute 1/2 a rutabaga for the turnips, and use either ground turkey, pork or beef along with Italian seasonings in place of the sausage. I cut the cooking times by 5 minutes in each phase. 

I like this recipe, too.  I make the same modifications that GFChris does BUT I often use a bag of broccoli slaw in place of the turnips. Completely different result, but yummy (and super easy) as well!

Archived