Don't eat eggs or red meat and struggling to get enough protein

KLSchroed

Hello,

I hate eggs, and unless they're hidden in something I just can't eat them. I also don't eat red meat. I am finding it hard to get enough protein and need breakfast ideas that don't make me feel like I'm "cheating" or bending the rules. I've made a couple of smoothies with frozen banana and lots of greens and made a coconut chia "pudding" for breakfast so far. Any other ideas? Thanks!

• Moderators

The smoothies are a very bad choice during a Whole30. They are not banned, but that is only because the Hartwigs are exceptionally tolerant people. :) The chia pudding is banned. That is a dessert product and therefore not acceptable. 

You can eat fish, poultry, pork, rabbit, etc. at breakfast. I've made scallops with zucchini noodles for breakfast several times. Leftovers make a great meal for breakfast, so I have had rabbit curry as my first meal of the day. You could make a soup that includes chicken, chicken broth, cauliflower, carrots, onion, coconut milk, spices, etc..

Thanks for your reply but I think I just threw up in my mouth thinking about eating rabbit for breakfast (or at any time for that matter). Sorry, but no can do. 

So why is coconut milk with chia seeds not allowed? There's no sugar/sweetener. It's just coconut milk from a can, shredded coconut and chia seeds.

Note that chia seeds are a fat, not a protein, on a Whole30. Like nuts, they are recommended to be limited.

Chia "pudding" has been previously discussed in the forum many times. Here is a representative thread:http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/27142-chia-pudding-for-breakfast/

With respect to your original question, experiment with incorporating poultry, fish or seafood as your protein options at your first meal of the day, along with 1-3 cups of veggies and a compliant fat.

Have you tried chicken sausage? Aidell's makes good compliant chicken sausage. And Applegate makes a turkey hot dog that looks to be compliant.I like to do sausage or hot dogs with some sauteed veggies, or on a pile of salad with olive oil & balsamic, or with a sweet potato and some sauerkraut.

I think breakfast is the most radical change for a lot of people, switching from sweet & carby to savory and protein-y.

Don't think of your meals by the old names of breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Instead they are Meal 1, Meal 2 and Meal 3. You can eat anything on the list at any of those meals. I made vegetable beef soup today and plan on having it for breakfast for the next few days with HB eggs.

Archived