My Whole30 Log - started Sunday, October 18

MamaJ

Day 1

Bfast: 3 scrambled eggs in EVOO, diced avocado and diced tomatoes

Lunch: Grilled skinless boneless chicken breast, mashed avocado on top with diced tomatoes and mushrooms sautéed in EVOO

Snack (I pump in the morning and at night for my son so adding a snack in keep supply normal): honey crisp apple with almond butter, cinnamon and walnuts

Dinner: Ground beef and cabbage skillet (ingredients: ground beef, cabbage, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, onions)

Day 1 was great. My birthday was the day before so I had a ton of sugar and probably still had it coursing through my veins. Tucked the scale away and took my measurements and a before photo. A co-worker is also doing it with me so it's nice to have someone along for the ride!

Day 2

Lunch: Romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, red cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, grilled skinless boneless chicken breast, walnuts, EVOO and red pepper flakes

Snack: Gala apple with almond butter, cinnamon and walnuts

Dinner: Taco boats (ingredients: ground beef, homemade taco seasoning, romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, onions)

Snack 2: Coconut cream pie Larabar

Day 2 was great. I was very hungry in the evening as dinner came a little later than usual due to my daughter's gymnastics. I ate a Larabar immediately upon finishing dinner. I think the onion might have been an odd one and I had a really weird after taste in my mouth. I love onions, so I'm not sure what was going on. Of course, the Larabar was delicious and took care of the taste, but I do know eating a Larabar isn't really following the spirit of Whole30. So of course, there's no perfect Whole30, and there you have my first imperfection. Onward and upward! Ready to kill Day 3.

I do wonder, upon reflecting on Day 1, if it bears noting I partook in communion at church. Well within the confines of Whole30 (and really, who cares if isn't, as I believe it is the body and blood of Christ). But as it is something I internally took, I thought I'd add it now as a post-note.

Day 3

Lunch: Romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, red cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, grilled skinless boneless chicken breast, EVOO and red pepper flakes

Snack: gala apple with almond butter, cinnamon and walnuts

Dinner: Ground beef and cabbage skillet (ingredients: ground beef, cabbage, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, onions), 2 grapes

Day 3 was awful. I had a pounding headache most of the day until a lovely moderator of the forum here told me I could take medication. I rarely take medication (beyond the births of my babies, could not tell you the last time I've taken something), and the medicine worked WONDERFULLY. I felt so much better. I'm also working on upping my starchy veggies and water intake and making sure I eat enough. The odd thing is I never feel hungry. I just feel good. So that's kind of throwing me off. Whatevs. Onward and upward. Here's day 4 and I'm ready to kill it!

• Moderators

If I could make a suggestion -- to your lunch salad, add some denser vegetables. I like roasted sweet potato chunks in salads, whether they're hot or cold. Regular potatoes or beets could be good as well. You say you're not hungry, but if you're consistently reaching for an afternoon snack, you either should work on making your lunch a little bigger, or if that doesn't get rid of the need for a snack, aim for more of a mini meal with protein, fat and veggies -- and since you are pumping, you may really need more than three meals, especially if that's still the primary source of nutrition for your baby and not supplemental to increasing amounts of regular food.

Mini meal type snacks could be a hard boiled egg or two with carrots, celery, or other raw vegetables, with mayo or guacamole or olives. Or it could just be leftovers.

Hi Shannon!

Thanks for your feedback. I am incorporating a snack solely because I am pumping for my little one, not because of hunger issues. I don't want my milk supply to be affected so I'm just incorporating the snack as a means to continue to give my body enough calories. My LO is not on any other forms of food (formula or otherwise).

I will see about changing up my snack for next week! I appreciate your help!

Jess

There is absolutely no problem with an extra mini-meal or even an ENTIRE 4th meal for a nursing mom. But it should be protein + fat + veggies to feel your best. Too many folks here want to snack on fruit & nuts, and it is just not ideal, for a variety of reasons. I assume you want consistent energy, good moods & fat loss. Following the template will get you there! :)

Day 4

Bfast: sweet potato topped with 3 scrambled eggs in EVOO and diced avocado

Lunch: Romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, red cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, grilled skinless boneless chicken breast, EVOO and red pepper flakes

Snack: Gala apple with almond butter, cinnamon and walnuts

Dinner: Sweet potato chili (ingredients: ground beef, crushed tomatoes, onions, bell pepper, green chiles, garlic, chili powder, cumin, sweet potatoes, beef broth)

Day 4 was easy peasy. No killing all the things or wanting to eat all the things here! I'm looking to change up my snack for next week per the recommendations here. Since I won't be incorporating fruit into my snack for next week, I will add in some fruit to lunch, I think. I'm really weird about adding fruit to my actual food (it's something I just don't understand, lol!), so I will just add a banana or apple to the side of my lunch.

I have been thinking differently about life now that I'm on this program, and I just... I just don't think the way I was living before was good. And I was doing pretty good! I started my fat to fit journey in March, right after my son was born, and I've lost 62 lbs. I've completely changed the way I was eating, but this program? Even better. The food is amazing. That sweet potato chili was the best.

Soooo... I'm thinking when this is all over, maybe I just keep going minus for special things? I'm sure I'm in the honeymoon phase, but I don't care. This is going SO well that I'm just going to love on it :)

Day 5

Bfast: sweet potato topped with 3 scrambled eggs in EVOO and diced avocado

Lunch: Romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, red cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, grilled skinless boneless chicken breast, EVOO and red pepper flakes (half portion), banana, handful of pistachios

Snack: Gala apple, chocolate coconut chew Larabar

Dinner: Sweet potato chili (ingredients: ground beef, crushed tomatoes, onions, bell pepper, green chiles, garlic, chili powder, cumin, sweet potatoes, beef broth)

Day 5 was easy. I was hungry by the time my snack rolled around, and I think it's because I put together more of a snack-y lunch using what I had on hand (which was half my salad left from the day before). I also ran out of almond butter, so I had to pull together a very odd, not very meal template-y snack. 

This weekend, I will be making homemade mayo and with it, homemade creamy Italian dressing. I also plan to switch up my snack to include the dressing, carrots and I think maybe nuts? I never have luck with making hard-boiled eggs, despite googling it several times and trying several different times over the course of my (short) life. Anyway, so my snack next week should be better. 

I had a small hiccup with the bosses at work announced they were buying lunch for everyone the next day (Friday). After praying over it, talking with my husband, posting here and praying more, I made a wise decision to bring my own lunch in. I had made a statement that I was not going to eat out at ALL during Whole30 - not because it can't be done - but because I felt like that was the right decision for me. God put it on my heart that I should stick to what I said, and so I'm bringing my own food in for Day 6. That's a non-scale victory for me. Absolutely nothing to do with how my physical body feels, but has everything to do with the mental game here. 

Day 6

Bfast: Sweet potato topped with 3 scrambled eggs in EVOO and diced avocado

Lunch: Grilled skinless boneless chicken breast topped with mashed avocado, sauteed mushrooms in EVOO and cherry tomatoes

Snack: Banana, cherry pie Larabar

Dinner: Hearty vegetable soup (ingredients: EVOO, garlic, ground beef, onion, potatoes, sweet potatoes, celery, carrots, canned and fresh diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, balsamic vinegar, chili powder, salt, pepper)

Day 6 was pretty easy. Lunch at work went fine; I ate at my normal time, Mexican food arrived, people got food, ate at their desks and we all moved on with our days. I guess there is a rumor circulating that the bosses are buying lunch for everyone for the next few Fridays, so my determination is definitely being tested. I had told myself there will always be lunches later, and there will be... just sooner than I anticipated. Oh well. This is about more than just eating food, this is about my willpower, my strength, my health. So they can eat all the crap and I'm just going to continue abstaining. I did not make it this far to only make it this far. 

I'm a little nervous about the weekend. I'm 100% committed because the weekend is probably more where I am tempted. So I'm just going to keep my focus turned up, my willpower on and get through the next two days by loving on my kids and hubby and working on projects around the house.

Day 7

Lunch: Hearty vegetable soup (ingredients: EVOO, garlic, ground beef, onion, potatoes, sweet potatoes, celery, carrots, canned and fresh diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, balsamic vinegar, chili powder, salt, pepper)

Snack: Banana, banana bread Larabar

Dinner: Bunless burger, baked potato, another fried egg (bunless burger is a burger patty topped with a fried egg, then wrapped in romaine lettuce)

Day 7 was great. I'm not really experiencing the timeline as it was created. I've felt great beyond Day 3 where my head was pounding. So that's awesome! I made homemade mayo on Day 7 and will make creamy Italian dressing with it today. I also prepped my dinner already for today, and I suspect today will be easy peasy. Love that! My worries about the weekend are gone. 

Day 8

Bfast: Sweet potato topped with 3 scrambled eggs in EVOO and diced avocado, a few grapes

Lunch: Hearty vegetable soup (ingredients: EVOO, garlic, ground beef, onion, potatoes, sweet potatoes, celery, carrots, canned and fresh diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, balsamic vinegar, chili powder, salt, pepper)

Dinner: Beef roast with veggies (ingredients: beef roast, garlic, onions, celery, carrots, butternut squash, water, thyme)

I skipped my snack because of church and the timing of my meals. I wasn't hungry at all, so that worked out! I made my fancy dressing and the mayo turned out really well. I'm super pleased. Day 8 was really easy. I'm feeling great, mentally and physically. Woot woot!

With all the prep I've done for this coming week, I'm expecting an easy week filled with yummy foods. YAY!

Day 9

Bfast: Sweet potato topped with 3 scrambled eggs in EVOO and diced avocado, a few grapes

Lunch: Romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, red cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, avocado, grilled skinless boneless chicken breast, homemade creamy Italian dressing, banana

Snack 1: Carrots with homemade mayo, handful of pistachios

Dinner: Deconstructed taco boats, 3/4 baked potato (taco boats ingredients: ground beef, homemade taco seasoning, romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, avocado)

Snack 2: 10ish grapes

The day went fine. I felt a bit tired, just a bit... blah. I don't think it's really Whole30 related. More likely Monday related, lol. I'm not sure what was up with my nighttime hunger, but I was hungry so I ate about 10ish grapes. Not the best snack, I know. Sigh. Oh well.

On to Day 10!

Day 10

Lunch: Romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, red cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, avocado, grilled skinless boneless chicken breast, homemade creamy Italian dressing, banana

Snack 1: Carrots, handful of pistachios

Dinner: Beef roast with veggies (ingredients: beef roast, garlic, onions, celery, carrots, butternut squash, water, thyme)

So interesting tidbit about my late night snack on Day 9. I ate the snack within an hour of bedtime, and it was a struggle to get up the next morning. On Whole30, I've been waking up before my alarm goes off and I'm ready to start my day. On Day 10, I kept to my regularly scheduled meals and I woke up wonderfully this morning on Day 11. So I think even after Whole30 is over, my bedtime snack is bye-bye for me! I'd rather wake up easier the next morning than eat late at night.

I did feel kind of blah again yesterday. I think I'm just experiencing the normal timeline of Whole30. I'm glad today is "hump day" and the work week is half over. I miss my babies, I miss my husband, I miss life.

I think I am officially admitting I work too much.

Day 11

Lunch: Romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, red cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, avocado, grilled skinless boneless chicken breast, homemade creamy Italian dressing

Snack 1: Honey crisp apple, almond butter, cinnamon, walnuts

Dinner: Chicken hash (ingredients: chicken, ghee, walnuts, sweet potato, Granny Smith apple, spinach, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, apple cider)

I am not the kind of person to mix fruit with savory dishes. I had made some as a young adult and HATED it. It's just not natural to mix fruit with a meal in that way.

But... the chicken hash was seriously delicious. The ghee smelled really odd, though, and terrible, to be honest while cooking. But while eating, I couldn't smell it and the entire meal tasted great, so whatevs I guess.

I did find out the bosses are buying food again for everyone on Day 12, but they're getting Thai and I'm not a big fan. So it was much easier, mentally, this time around to be like, "Whatevs, I'll just bring my own food."

I'm feeling good about the program and good about myself. I know I was giving too much power to the scale and am seriously re-thinking what role a scale should play in my life.

Day 12

Lunch: Chicken hash, banana, carrots

Snack 1: Honey crisp apple, almond butter, cinnamon, walnuts

Day 12 was fine. Nothing interesting really happened. Bosses brought in food and as usual, it smelled terrible (I'm not a big fan of Thai food... all the soy!).

On to Day 13. My house is currently without water so I'm in a terrible mood. No shower for me this morning and I'm huge on routines. I feel icky and gross. We might have to pack up the family and go to Nana's for the weekend. That will be interesting.

Day 13

Lunch: Classic chili (ingredients: ground beef, garlic, onion, cumin, chili powder, paprika, mustard powder, salt, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, canned diced tomatoes, chicken broth)

Dinner: Chicken hash (ingredients: chicken, ghee, walnuts, sweet potato, Granny Smith apple, spinach, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, apple cider)

Snack: About 10ish grapes

So Day 13 sucked in terms of what was going on with the water at my house. I typically work a LOT during the week and this week, I just couldn't. Friday, in particular. I only worked 8 - 5. I could've worked til 8, but I felt so icky and gross. The water came back on around 1:30 PM, thank God. So I went home, showered, ate dinner, and then the family and I went to Walmart to get groceries for the week. We had a little problem with getting canned coconut milk because I wasn't sure if guar gum was Whole30 approved (it is, I know that now), but we went to VG's after Walmart and found cococnut milk with just coconut and water. So that's good. 

My hubby and kids are not doing Whole30. But we rarely buy non-meal items at the store. At VG's, I bought gelato, custard and a bag of kettle chips. My tot and hubby sure enjoyed those treats after we got home! I was slightly jelly, but whatevs. 

I'm excited I'm almost at the halfway point! 

Day 14

Bfast: Sweet potato topped with 3 scrambled eggs in EVOO and sauteed spinach in EVOO

Lunch: Sweet potato chili (ingredients: ground beef, crushed tomatoes, onions, bell pepper, green chiles, garlic, chili powder, cumin, sweet potatoes, beef broth)

Dinner: Beef roast with sweet potatoes and onions (cooked with spices in slow cooker), brussel sprouts sauteed in chicken broth and balsamic vinegar 

I've got some non-scale victories to report! 1. We don't celebrate Halloween. BUT we did attend an event at a church near our home. Our 2.5 year old enjoyed bouncing in the bounce houses, eating hot dogs and crunchy Cheetos, eating a Twizzler, and dancing to music. I think she burned all the calories she ate :) I was super proud of myself for not partaking in any of the food (entry fee was $1 per person and lunch was included in that plus there were huge bowls of candy on every table). 2. On Day 13, I bought ice cream (gelato and custard) for my loves at the store. Ya'll, I SPOON FED my tot gelato. And didn't eat a drop. 

Pure willpower. 

Thankfully, my hubby said it was good but the other flavor he's tried is way better. So that made me feel better :) Talenti Sea Salt Caramel gelato is my weakness. My Kryptonite. 

I digress. 

Today, my plan is to make chicken salad, using the last of the mayo I have. It's daylight savings time in Michigan, so my 8 month old is up and ready to go, but my tot is still asleep next to me in bed. She had quite the day yesterday with all the bouncing, being outside and dancing so she might sleep for a little longer :) 

Day 15

Bfast: Sweet potato topped with 3 scrambled eggs in EVOO and sauteed spinach in EVOO, banana

Lunch: Chicken salad salad (romaine lettuce, spinach, chicken, homemade mayo, red grapes, pecans, dried cherries, celery)

Snack 1: Honey crisp apple, coconut cream pie Larabar

Dinner: Beef roast with sweet potatoes and onions (cooked with spices in slow cooker), brussel sprouts sauteed in chicken broth and balsamic vinegar 

Snack 2: Handful of grapes

Day 15 was great. I exercised some more willpower when my tot ate kettle chips for a snack. My stars, they smelled so good.

But yeah. On to Day 16! I think I am definitely feeling a little bit more ready for more variety, so we're trying some new recipes this week and next. I definitely have food addictions, not cravings but addictions, I am working on getting over. I do feel my willpower muscle is growing. So yay!

Day 16

Bfast: Sweet potato topped with 3 scrambled eggs in EVOO and sauteed spinach in EVOO

Lunch: Beef roast with sweet potatoes and onions (cooked with spices in slow cooker), brussel sprouts sauteed in chicken broth and balsamic vinegar 

Dinner: Chicken salad salad (romaine lettuce, spinach, chicken, homemade mayo, red grapes, pecans, dried cherries, celery), honey crisp apple

Day 16 was great. I went to the gym in the morning and that felt really good. I'm also a co-leader for my church's mama group, and we had a meeting in the evening. There are always snacks at the meeting: homemade cheesecake, chips and cheese dip, etc. I usually don't partake in the goodies, so it wasn't difficult for me to abstain. We made cookie jar mixes, and I think the movement over and over injured my shoulder. So I was in pain this morning a bit.

Oh well. Here's to Day 17!

Day 17

Lunch: Grilled skinless boneless chicken breast with mashed avocado and cherry tomatoes, honey crisp apple

Dinner: Ground beef and cabbage skillet (ingredients: ground beef, cabbage, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, onions)

I was a little upset because I injured my shoulder on Day 16, so on Day 17, in the morning, I opted to sleep a bit more rather than go to the gym. But I got out of work earlier than I expected so I went to the gym that night before my family came home. That put me in a great mood :)

Food-wise, I'm fine. I'm really happy I've come so far and a little surprised at how easy this is. I've also been doing research on the satiety of certain foods and been really analyzing which foods in particular are high in satiety for me and low in satiety for me. This research will help me to continue making smarter choices even when Whole30 is done.

Ready to kill Day 18!

Day 18

Lunch: Ground beef and cabbage skillet (ingredients: ground beef, cabbage, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, onions)

Dinner: Chicken and carrots cooked in the slow cooker with coconut milk and spices, half baked potato

Still going strong. Yay to being on Day 19!

Day 19

Lunch: Ground beef and cabbage skillet (ingredients: ground beef, cabbage, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, onions), mixed fresh fruit

Dinner: Chicken and carrots cooked in the slow cooker with coconut milk and spices, half baked potato

Nothing too exciting happened, just staying on program and working out. Woot woot!

DAY 20 is here! SO stoked for that.

Day 20

Lunch: Chicken and carrots cooked in the slow cooker with coconut milk and spices, banana and almond butter

Dinner: Chicken cooked in slow cooker with tomatoes, coconut milk and spices, baked sweet potato, pistachios 

Day 20 was super stressful for my work and personal life. Then, to top that off, I was NOT impressed with my dinner at all. And I was stuck at work. I'm not what to do in a situation like that. So I added some nuts to my dinner because I'm at work and cannot leave. I had those at my desk. I made do with what I had and I stayed Whole30 compliant in terms of the fact that my nuts were compliant. So whatever. It is what it is. 

I'm so glad today is Day 21 and it's Saturday and I'm NOT at work. 

Day 21

Lunch: Chicken and carrots cooked in the slow cooker with coconut milk and spices, grapes

Dinner: Bunless burgers (ingredients: burger patties, romaine lettuce, fried eggs, avocado), small baked potato, handful of raspberries 

Day 21 was super good for me. I can't believe in 10 days, the program will be done. I don't think it's supposed to feel this easy (Day 3 SUCKED, but other than that, pretty smooth sailing!). I'm thinking about reintroducing dairy on Day 31. I'm also thinking of how to move forward in general and I think the goal is to eat the foods I've now found give me lots of energy and good feelings, except for those rare occasions, like Thanksgiving or Christmas, where I may eat something that won't make me feel good. 

Yay for Day 22!

Day 22

Bfast: Sweet potato topped with 3 scrambled eggs in EVOO and diced avocado, handful of raspberries

Lunch: Bunless burgers (ingredients: burger patties, romaine lettuce, fried eggs, avocado), small baked potato

Dinner: Sweet potato chili

Archived