Starting Today, 10/19/15!

JessRN

Hello Everyone!  My name is Jessica, and my boyfriend and I are starting Whole30 today.  I've spend the last 2-3 weeks or so planning for this day diligently, and I'm excited and scared!  Who else is starting today?   I would love a support group for our October 19th starters!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck to you and your boyfriend! Planning and prep seem to be a key component to a successful 30 days, so I'd say you're off to a great start!

I started yesterday, thinking it was the 19th, lol. Had a great day tho.

It's a beautiful day to start!

Thank you so much for the encouragement!  It feels great!  
As daunting as the changes are, I am so excited and motivated to feel better.  I am a nurse in a hospital, and 12 hour shifts carrying extra weight and eating junk have me feeling terrible and sleeping terrible all of the time.  

Good luck to you too!  How is day 2 going?

-Jessica

Hi Jess!  I just started today, too - already I'm having issues with when to eat breakfast!  I get up at 5:30a for work so eating within a half hour is tough, but I'm going to have to make some adjustments!  Mena, since you've been down this road before, what do you suggest?  I'm afraid if I eat so early, I'll be hungry way  before lunch (I'm a teacher!).  Really excited about this though!

@Mena, yay!  I look forward to your battle-tested wisdom!  I think I am going to do a weekly cookup for dinners.  We have a crock pot I usually make good use of, and I plan to keep doing that with Whole30 approved fare.  Thank you for responding!

@dwerder, I totally understand!  I'm a nurse, and my work days are challenging due to my schedule.  I have to find a way to eat breakfast on the run at 6am on work days.  I'm thinking these egg "muffins" you can freeze.  http://www.galonamission.com/paleo-breakfast-muffins-whole-30-approved/

If we do this right, we shouldn't be hungry!  Since your schedule is similar to mine, be open to the idea of a mid-morning mini-meal while your kids are on their break.  I know "snacks" aren't encouraged, but I think those of us with crazy work lives need to do what's right for us.  

Thanks for doing this with me, guys!  I'm super excited!  About to start the crockpot for dinner!  Grass-fed beef stew meat with carrots and sweet potato chunks!  -Jess

You know what's freakin hilarious?  After all those weeks of planning, and shopping, and plotting and getting prepared....

I was totally caught with my pants down for lunch today.  Had NOTHING ready to go!  Nothing planned!  Hahahahaha.  So I ate a "mini meal" of my breakfast foods plus some nuts, and threw four chicken breasts in the oven.  Hahaha.  
The best laid plans.... ;)

Hi!  This is Beth - started Whole30 too!  I started cutting out most sugar 3 weeks ago because I was really surprised how much food has sugar in it!  Even my beloved Chipotle Tabasco has sugar!  I'm excited but pretty anxious today.  Keep having mini panic attacks, about what, I don't know - haven't figured that out yet!

Yes - let's stick together and do this!  

Welcome, everybody!  
My day is going ok so far.  I'm not really hungry, but I am having to remind myself not to snack.  I think I typically graze a lot during the day if I'm home.  Our grass fed beef stew is in the crockpot, cooking away!  I just taste-tested the beef, it's over-cooked and bland.  Boo!  I need to do better at this LOL

Good morning, my beautiful Day 2-ers!  
Holy moly, "the hangover" is here for me!  Woke up with a thick-headed headache, some congestion and the feeling that my bowels just may revolt any minute.  But onward and upward! :D
How are you guys doing?

I woke up with a pretty bad headache that just won't quit either. I don't know if it's the "hangover" also or I was pretty upset last night too about work...but will keep with it. I went off coffee a couple months ago and experienced the same thing for about 24 h so assuming it's the sugar withdrawal and hopefully will just sleep tonight and wake up better tomorrow :) 

Sugar and caffeine, Jen!  It's a doozy.  Hang in there!  I'm not a coffee drinker, but I'm having straight black tea right now to try to give me a little caffeine jump.  I was also one of those idiot "mega bender" people before the program (If it was an unapproved food, I pretty much consumed mass quantities for a week straight beforehand), so I'm expecting this to be rough!  
Keep it up guys, we're doing great!!!!!!
-Jess

Hi Jess, hi all ---  started my 4th Whole 30 on the 19th too.  

I prepped some of the week's meals in big batches last Sunday so that I'm pretty much  on track this week and feeling relaxed  ---   sweet potato and chicken sausage breakfast hash;  chunky chicken and vegetable soup; and meat loaf (  recipe without starchy binders). I've also got steaks and some fish than can be easily put on the grill and served with  salad. I've learned from my previous Whole 30 cycles that nothing sets me up for failure  more than an empty fridge, and the having to cook an entire compliant meal from scratch when you are tired from work and all you want to do is order a pizza!  

Hope everything is going well for everyone!

That's great advice, Tangerine!  I am already seeing that prep is the #1 aspect of success.  
My day 2 went great, despite a very nasty case of "carb flu!" lol  My detox symptoms were super rough today, with a headache that wouldn't quit even after several big mugs of black tea (I thought maybe it was caffeine).  But I did great with eating today, been guzzling water, and I'm already feeling better.  So far not hungry today, and not having any cravings.  My bf and I are about to hit the store to get a few veggies we want, and then I'm going to cook up some pastured ground pork for lettuce wrap tacos.  So stoked for day 3!!!

How is everybody else doing?

I'm late to this party, but I started on the 19th as well. Glad to have found a little group of other people to follow along with! I am feeling a little (okay, a lot) foggy during some patches of the day. I can't do black coffee, and wanted to get rid of it for the time being anyhow as I've pretty much just been using it as a crutch to get me through long/hectic work days (while forgetting to eat... SO healthy!). Also getting back into the groove of making breakfast at home or work rather than hitting drive-thrus in the morning. So far, so good! No real cravings, but I did have weird dreams last night about eating fast food and cookies?! Haha.

I DO feel like I should look into installing a hammock in my kitchen, since I pretty much live in there now! Haha. Meal prep/dishes/reheat/dishes/repeat.... ;)

Good luck on day 3, everybody!

Hi everyone,

I also started on the 19th. So far so good still getting use to doing a lot more cooking, especially in the morning. I've had a headache going since yesterday afternoon so I'm hoping after today it'll be gone but we'll see. Still getting use to having black tea in the morning but I can actually say I enjoyed it today! Baby steps. Glad I found a bunch of others starting on the same day I tried to get someone to do it with me, no such luck though.  

Good luck to everyone on day 3 :)

Hello all - Day 3 is going fine so far, except for the headache, foggy feeling, wanting to sleep forever . . . the usual I guess!!   Day 2 of eating a hearty breakfast at 6:30am, which is actually working well - not hungry until 11-ish so that's good.  But wondering about the snacking - I eat lunch, then around 3-4 I'm really hungry, but don't want to just graze - right??   I've had an apple and a handful of nuts, but not sure if that's considered ok.  What are you all doing about those hungry times?

Hello all - I started my Whole 30 on 10/19 also.  I am excited to find this group! 

I will admit, I have started and stopped a Whole 30 too many times to count.  I have yet to make it the entire 30 days.  I think my best was 26ish, if you can believe I made it that far and then bailed!  I committed to myself that I will do this, for the full 30 days, 100%.  I am reaching out for support this time hoping it will help make the difference.   

My nemesis is diet pop.  It is like crack for me and a trigger for me to over consume sugar and other not so healthy things.  I know if I can stay away from diet pop I will be able to nail this thing.

I look forward to joining you all on this journey!

I'm so excited yall have this group. I started on the 19th as well and haven't had any headaches, just a little extra TIRED! And I miss cookies and Sweat Tea and snacks mostly. I'm sipping on green tea to get me through. 

Good Luck everyone on Day 3!

Archived