Starting Today, 10/19/15!

JessRN

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys! Day 12 DONE! Woohoo! 

I feel like I am coming over the hump of the Day 10/11 Blahs, thank goodness! I woke up this morning finally feeling way less bloated, which I'm really happy about. I've been trying to up my water consumption because I've been TERRIBLE at getting enough water recently, and I realized that my dehydration was almost certainly contributing to not feeling great. 

@JessRN - Hope your workout went well - I am interested to hear how you found your energy levels! I'm back to the gym tomorrow and am feeling a little nervous about how I'll feel.

@Jwentworth - I hope you feel much better soon! 

@berniesmom - Welcome! I hope day 10 treated you okay! 

HEY GUYS!  How the heck are you?!?!  For those of you who were wondering, my workout went pretty damn well the other day.  Day 13 in the bag!  Another work day for me, so basically just business as usual with my packed food and drinking tons of water.  Tomorrow is work as well.  
I've been having crazy dreams!  I was so skeptical of this when it was mentioned in the timeline, but it's been happening!  Last night I had a dream where I suddenly realized I was eating french fries after about three mouthfulls, then later in the dream, that I was eating a sandwich while driving then suddenly realized I was eating bread LMAO.
Much love, Whole30 tribe.  Check in and let us know how you're doing!

Hehe I had a dream last night that I was at a party and given pasta with grated cheese

I was PO about the cheese and tried to eat around it. After I finished my meal I realized I was eating pasta...so I ran to the bathroom to try to throw it up (?) Before I realized it was a dream and woke myself up. Phew!

@Erica, I TOTALLY get that!  Most of my dream realizations are along the same lines.  In my ice cream dream the other night, my first realization was I was eating dairy, then I was like OMG IT'S SUGAR TOO!!! hahaha.  

Half way!! WOOOHOO! And my pants fit amazing so its a good day. I will say I struggled a little last night watching everyone eat tacos,  easily one of my favorite food ever. I've made my own taco meat already and ate it with the salsa but its still missing the shell. Oh well. Last night was prep night and I cooked up so much food I'm not even sure when I'm going to eat it. 

Chicken and apple sausage cooked with a little bit of pear. Homemade meatballs. And some sweet potatoes all ready to go for the next couple of days. When that runs out its going to be beef stew (maybe before it runs out). Hoping the broth will finally kick this cold once and for all. 

I've been sleeping so good I don't even remember my dreams so not sure if there was any non compliant food involved. I feel wide awake today which is awesome since I have an 1.5 hour drive after work for my younger brothers senior even and then a 2 hour ride home at 9pm tonight. Wish me luck on that. 

Have a fabulous day 15 everyone! :) 

@JessRN I had a dream too that I was at a party with friends and was drinking wine.. then I realizeed that I wasnt done with the Whole30 so I put the glass down right away and reminded myself to carry on.

Were halfway done.. and right now I know theres no reason to slip up... We can do this. We were able to do ith for 15 days what is 15 days more! Lets keep going.

All the best guys!

Day 15: Halfway!
Yeah, I am not getting much "magic" yet.  My sleep problems, which I knew would be significant, persist.  I was on SO MUCH over the counter junk to sleep before Whole30, and stopping it cold turkey resulted in insomnia hell.  I think because of the melatonin and crap I took this week just to get enough sleep to function at the hospital, my body is thrown off and my energy is meh.  I tried the Magnesium, but it really didn't work and gave me morning headaches.  I don't have dramatic changes in my clothes, I think my scrub pants are a tad looser.  And I never get "hangry" anymore, which is great!  I was the Queen of Hangry before Whole30. My family says my face looks thinner.  I also feel like maybe I'm handling stress a little better.  Both Saturday and Sunday I had some pretty critical situations with patients at work, and I feel like I got through it without the internal storm I'm used to.  However, my thinking is kind of foggy, and I'm having to double check myself on everything, because I feel like I'm not as sharp as normal.  I caught myself in a couple very stupid mistakes (thank god I caught myself).  I have a lot of stressors in my life at the moment, and I'm able to keep on plan.  My OBGYN is going to do some tests to see if my IUD is misplaced, and also I'm being worked up for a possible pituitary tumor vs breast cancer.  Yeah.  Scary. There is a LARGE possibility the breast stuff is nothing, but still hearing the possibility of something so serious is still scary.  

Basically, I've come to accept what I suspected would happen for the start.  I'm going to need more than 30 days.  That's okay, I'm prepared to do a Whole60.  I don't think Jason will continue past 30 days with me (and honestly, I'm fine with that), but I am pretty sure I need to keep going.  
How is everybody doing?

About the dreams: I had a dream a couple nights ago that I was at Panera. I didn't have any money, but they had a giant salad sitting on the front counter, so for some reason I picked all the olives off the top of that and ate those. (I don't even like olives.) And then they were also giving out free bread bowls with pasta in them, as appetizers I guess. And then I ordered the "house special," thinking that it was food, but it was coffee. (I don't like coffee either.) So not exactly a Whole30-related dream, but a really weird food dream...

I also had an auditory dream the other night. There was some sort of loud rock music in my dream, then I heard my alarm and was suddenly wide awake. Usually it's only the visual images I remember as I'm waking up.

Hey Everyone!! How is everything going for everyone?

Jess I know with what you mean about having not much 'magic' going on right now.

I seem to be having just as many (if not more) pimples since I've started and one of the reasons I am doing the whole30 again is to clear my face completely of them.!!

I am also interested where everyone is located?

I live in Dunnville, Ontario Canada (it is southern Ontario)

However moving to Wellandport Ontario (which is not even 10 mins away from where I live now)

Tell me people where you from? aha :)

Hey everyone!  Day 18 in the can!
I'm starting to feel better.  I also noticed I seem to be managing stress better.  I have no idea how the hell food can do that, but it seems to be.  

Definitely going to do a Whole60.  Anyone with me?

I'm from Los Angeles, CA. 

Hey everyone! Can't believe it's day 18! I can't exactly say that I'm feeling the tiger blood in any huge amazing way. I definitely identify with the part of the timeline that says that for some, Tiger Blood is more like having a sense of efficacy with the whole30 lifestyle. I'm definitely finding that I'm more on "autopilot" with things now, and whereas I DO miss the convenience factor of something like hitting a drive thru, I don't miss the food itself at all. Along those lines, I have to say that I have been really impressed with the way the whole30 threw cold water on my cravings and carb/sugar binges. Seriously, I was getting to the point where EVERY food felt like a food with no brakes, and I was skeptical that even this would help. Lo and behold, I guess there really IS something to all of this "eating well" and "science" stuff hahaha. 

Definitely also identify with handling stress better!! Like, WAY better. I deal with lots of crisis situations at work (social work), and I would sometimes work full days feeling like I was riding a wave of adrenaline. I'd get through the work day with a calm enough exterior, but feel totally ramped up and jittery inside. Of course, it would totally spill over into my personal life and I pretty much just felt stressed constantly. Now, even when I'm handling intense situations I feel way more even keel inside, and I feel way more peaceful outside of work, too. Huge win! 

Seriously considering a whole60 as well!

I'm from Vancouver, BC.

PS. @JessRN - Sending you best wishes on all the medical stuff you're having figured out right now! I was in the same breast boat not very long ago, and it just plain sucks. Even when the odds are very good that it's not cancer, the "what ifs" and the waiting are super stressful. So glad that the whole30 is helping you get through it with a little less stress. 

Day 19. Not sure how I feel. I've definitely had more energy the last couple days and not as much trouble waking up in the morning. I feel like after the first week or so I noticed a difference in my stomach but feel like nothing else has happened. Its a little discouraging I have been debating on a whole 60 as well but still undecided. Still struggling with getting enough fat in my diet I've been cooking everything in coconut oil and started adding coconut flakes in as well. 

My biggest regret was not working out at all during these 19 days, I've had so much going on at work and then I signed up to coach basketball so finding time in between that and meal prepping hasn't happened. Next week for sure I will start working out, I'm hoping that paired with whole food will help me lose the weight I've been trying to get rid of for a couple years now. 

As much as I do want to do a whole 60 I think I am too curious to see what happens when I reintroduce foods. My curiosity will probably win just so I know the effects, but after that I can see myself starting another whole 30. 

Have a good day everyone :)

Hi ladies!I'm still here, on day 17. Starting to feel pretty darn good I must say! Feeling much like MeganJ- not exactly tiger blood but feeling peaceful with the process at this point and not craving the junk, which is a true accomplishment! Now that we're on the 2nd half of this ride, I'm considering a Whole60 as well. With the holidays around the corner though, I know I will probably have some situations where I want to consciously indulge because it will be WORTH IT.So, I think I'm onboard for much improved habits throughout the holidays, then another Whole30 starting in January just to solidify these habits.

JWentworth, if I'm not sure I'm getting enough fat I add a 1/4 avocado or a sprinkle of nuts on top of just about anything. I've seen conflicting opinions on whether or not the oil you use during regular cooking is enough -- I err on the side of "it's not enough" so I add extra fat to each meal.

Great job everyone!!

I've seen conflicting opinions on whether or not the oil you use during regular cooking is enough -- I err on the side of "it's not enough" so I add extra fat to each meal.

When you saute, much of the cooking fat stays behind in the pan. You may need to compensate by adding more fat after cooking.

A good rule of thumb on this is satiety.  If you're hungry 4-5 hours after eating a meal, you've consumed enough fat.  If you're hungry earlier, then add more fat after cooking.   If your meals are lasting you more than five hours, then cut back on portions.

You essentially tailor your portions to get you to a place when your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours.

DAY 20 guys, holy cow!!!!
How is everyone doing?  I'm trucking along.  Again, my physical changes are subtle.  But my family, especially my mom, is noticing that my anxiety seems improved and my ability to handle stress as well.  Considering the role Cortisol has in this whole business, that's good news indeed!  

Today will be my first time taking Whole30 into a social situation.  My boyfriend's family is having a BBQ (why in November, I have no clue lol).  My first reaction was to tell him "I'll go, but I can't eat anything."  To which he responded that I don't need to be rude.  I said I'm not rude, we have just come so far I'm not going to "bend the rules" just to go with the flow.  I asked him if they'd be offended if we brought our own grass-fed hamburger patties and some sides.  He said they wouldn't.  So that's the plan!  Meeting new family members without the social lubricant of a glass of wine or my comfort foods should be interesting.  

I cheated and got on the scale, and I'm not impressed.  I guess that's why they tell you to stay the hell away from the scale LOL.  

My ultrasound is scheduled for Thursday along with my blood tests.  I'm really hoping for good news.  I think one problem with being a medical professional is that you know too much and that probably makes you worry more.  

Have a great day 20, everyone!  

Day 22, where are all my people at?!?!?!  Who's still with us?

The BBQ went great.  It was indeed incredibly stressful to meet 15-20 people in my boyfriend's family without a glass of wine in my hand, (I am discovering I have mild social anxiety with new people!), but I survived.  The only person who made divisive comments about our food was someone I already know well and would expect that kind of crap from.  So really, it was fine!  I also packed up dinner fixins yesterday afternoon and visited my parents who live about an hour away yesterday.  That was super nice.  They're always supportive, but were having some work done on their kitchen, so I knew I couldn't cook anything there and had to come completely prepared (like I do for work).  They had their takeout burgers, and I had my food.  It was hard not to have a glass of wine with my dad, it's always been our thing since I've been an adult since we're both wine enthusiasts and like to share new wines with each other when we get together.  

Starting to see more subtle body contour changes this morning in the mirror, excellent!  I have to go 60 days, I know this in my heart.  But I'm nervous about losing fellowship and camaraderie from you guys.  Also, I signed up for the daily emails, and won't be getting those anymore.  So those are my concerns.

Seriously, where are all you guys? :(

Still here! Way to go on the BBQ, its definitely way easier watching other people eat now. I sat there while my boyfriend ate pizza and I had no desire for it. As for the whole 60 I am way to curious for the reintroduction. I do plan on keeping my meals whole 30 approved and I'll just appreciate the occasional treat even more. I totally see myself doing more whole 30s in the future, going on Instagram and seeing results of people who have done 4 round is crazy.

I'm hoping to see the weight loss that they see if I keep it up. My goal weight is 40 lbs under where I started. Although I will say I can finally understand the idea, its not the number that matters but how you feel. I feel awesome and I've had people notice a change in my face. So I plan on keeping it up and feeling even better. Although not gonna lie losing the weight would be pretty awesome too haha :)

I can't wait for next week to figure out what the culprits are behind all my bloating and what not.  In the meantime I'm still here with you and I'm sure after the 30 days I'll still be on here making compliant meals. My mom is starting a whole 90 due to a change in thyroid medicine so thanksgiving will be whole 30 approved. 

Hope every one has a fabulous day :)

Still with you, JessRN! Way to knock that BBQ out of the park!

I can hardly believe that we're at day 22 - the days felt like they were passing much more slowly at the beginning.

The last few days have gone pretty well. I fell down on food prep a little last week and had a few days where I definitely did NOT get my breakfast in "on time" and I need to do better with tha tthis week. However, I am waking up hungry every day and that is a huge change. I've experimented with coffee twice as a mid-morning "treat" when having company over (homemade coconut milk latte), and I have to say that I will be glad not to reintroduce it into my regular every day morning routine. I love the flavour, but I definitely notice that it makes me feel anxious and I would say that it's not worth it to me to drink it every day. 

I went out for dinner with my Mom yesterday, and I always sort of forget that eating anywhere other than home is a bit of an ordeal. I'm a bit self conscious about being "that person" that orders my food like a control freak and asks tons of questions. Without a doubt, passing on wine has been the hardest thing! It was interesting to see my Mom, because I hadn't been able to visit her since before I started the whole30. She said that my face looked much less puffy, my skin looked better than it has in a long time, and that the bags under my eyes were gone / I looked rested. These were all things that I sort of noticed myself, and it was super nice to have someone who doesn't see me every day confirm it! Yay!

Feeling SUPER conflicted about a whole60. I feel like I am just really starting to see the benefits of this and I'm not even really feeling that interested in re-introduction. However, I have a big event coming up in early December where enjoying a great non-complaint meal and a drink will definitely be "worth it" (a friend and I are doing a little getaway weekend to celebrate our 30th birthdays together). I'm still ruminating on this, and haven't quite come to a decision yet. 

Got back to exercise today! I wish that I'd been exercising more regularly through this. The pilates class I went to felt BRUTAL, but that wasn't anything to do with the whole30... that was just me being out of shape. Hahaha.

Happy Monday, everyone!

I with you guys on that whole "just starting to see the benefits" things!  I feel like I'm STILL figuring out  what food I need also.  I'm figuring out how to adjust on workout days, and also trying to figure out when maybe I'm eating a little too much.  It's definitely going to take me more than 30 days to get a handle on this!  Plus I feel like my body is just now coming to the party and figuring out what we're doing LOL.  I still get headaches and dizzy spells if I'm not super conscious of how much fat I'm getting and sweet potato a day (which is the only starchy veggie I will allow in my carb-addict life LOL).

Also, WTF my sugar dragon just showed up!!!  I expected to be fighting the bastard tooth and nail from day 1, yet here I am day 22, and I feel like I'm just now feeling like I'm fighting cravings.  Interesting.  And also a pretty solid indicator I need more than 30 days.  

I really have little or no interest/curiosity about re-introduction.  I completely know what foods mess with me and which are the trouble makers.  I'm in no rush to experience their wrath again LOL.  

My whole 60 would complete the week before Christmas.  I think that's good timing for more flexibility in eating and partying.  Not that I plan to go crazy.  Even when I'm done with my whole60, I plan to eat as many compliant meals as possible.  This is a life change for me.  

Did anyone take any before pics?  I did.  I'm hoping to be brave enough to post a before/after, at least of my face!

I'm still here! I had a little victory, similar to the BBQ, on Saturday. There was a birthday party at dance with an amazing-looking cookie cake (seriously, I go to get exercise and they're feeding us cookies!) but I didn't eat a bite and no one even commented on it. Sometimes I feel like I have to eat the junk just to fit in or think that people will wonder why I'm not eating anything. But if they were wondering no one said anything, and I enjoyed myself immensely at the party in spite of not eating anything. Honestly, I think I was able to enjoy it more since I wasn't focusing on food. There was a hilarious dance as well as a skit planned in honor of the 60th birthday of the studio director's husband, who is also a good friend of all the dancers. ;) It was a great time!

I'm still here too! I'm a little behind you (day 20 today) but I also see how 30 days isn't really enough... the first half was so difficult, now the 2nd half feels a lot easier and is going by faster. Good stuff!  I feel really good, but still have some things I'd like to keep working on so I plan to continue with a paleo diet... not sure about keeping Whole30 compliant for the long run. Will probably start a new Whole30 in January (along with half the world :D you know that thread will be active!!). 

Its funny how WINE is so hard to give up. It really is delicious isn't it?! Once you get past the sugar it's not so hard to say no to sweets and junk food. Wine on the other hand, well I do miss it! Would love to enjoy a small glass with some of these delicious meals I've been cooking -- the lamb meatballs from the Well Fed cook book are mmm mm good!

Hang in there ladies, I feel like even more good stuff is just around the corner for all of us!   

Archived