Upcoming 10k and energy seriously lagging

Kelly2612

I'm training to complete my first 10k, and the race is in 6 days. I've always been an athlete but I've stuck to shorter distances in the past, so running and high energy output are not new to my body. 

I'm on Day 12 of my first Whole30, and my runs for the last few weeks have been garbage. I've been running out of gas around mile 2.5, and yesterday I took about a dozen walk breaks during a 40 minute run. I knew to expect this when starting the Whole30, and I'm still going to do the race, but can someone reassure me that my energy will come back around by day 20? Otherwise, that's going to be a really ugly 6.2 miles next Sunday. 

Update. On day 16, my run was finally a bit better. It occurred to me a few miles in that I felt similar to when I go out on a long bike ride and haven't eaten anything by the 2 hour mark. So I've been working hard to eat more these last few days to fuel up for the race on Sunday. 
I'm having a tough time eating enough for workouts. I think that if I was sedentary I'd be fine, but with running 3 days a week I'm under fueling. I don't like to eat a ton of food at a meal, and without being on the plunging blood sugar roller coaster any more, I'm not eating enough (but am also not hungry for more either). And it seems like many of the whole30 foods feature piles of vegetables, which aren't particularly dense anyway. I'm eating a handful of nuts and an avocado everyday, and am generous with olive oil and butter when cooking. It seems like I have the eating part figured out, but still not the fueling for longer runs. 

Post-race update:
I mad​e it! The few days before the race my energy started to improve and I started eating more starchy veggies and trying to eat more food in general. My time was slower than I wanted it to be, but for my first 10k in the middle of my first Whole30, I felt pretty proud crossing the finish line anyway.

Archived