Daycare gave my 8 m/o crackers!

keightlynn

Yesterday when I picked my son up from daycare the teacher mentioned off hand that they gave him crackers. They have been told multiple times no to give him anything and I write it on his sheet everyday. I'm so frustrated and they hadn't even written that down on his sheet so now I'm paranoid they are feeding him things without telling me. I spoke with the director and hopefully it won't happen again, but I still feel worried! I was up all night with a gassy baby. The teachers know but it seemed like they didn't consider crackers food because they kept trying to reassure me they were just wheat crackers. He even has a doctor's note!!

Unfortunately I don't have any other daycare options. He's on several waitlist but most places here have at least a year long waitlist.

Ignorance is a hard thing to fight. It sounds like they just don't know. My mom (gluten intolerant to the point of instantly vomiting) once ordered onion rings just because she didn't stop to think about what was in them. Some of the workers in her residence would be right on top of her, because they were well informed (usually the ones with celiac relatives) and some of them thought they understood, but would give her incorrect information... not from carelessness, just from sheer ignorance of where food comes from. My grandson has a couple of food allergies, including gluten & dairy, and if someone offers him something that he hasn't eaten first, at home, he'll tell you "no, I'm allergic to that". He might not be allergic to the particular item that's offered, but he has kind of a Stranger Danger button when it comes to food. Of course, he's a couple years older than your son too!

Could you do a "training session" at one of the staff meetings, assuming your son's day care has staff meetings?

Archived