Day 6 and all food is repellent

Background - on day 6 of my first Whole30. In recent months my diet had become very sugar-dependent for energy in a time of high stress and major life changes, so my goal with the program was to really focus on dropping sugar. My overall diet was pretty heavy on dairy (lots of yogurt, moderate amounts of cheese) and legumes, while fairly low on meat compared to a standard American diet by preference, as I just don't crave meat. I am very overweight and not at all fit, and potential weight loss was a secondary appeal to the plan.

But after six days, I am actively repelled by all food at this point, and this started very shortly after beginning the plan. Every meal is a lengthy challenge of forcing myself to eat, and most meals involve at least one or two active fights against gagging or even vomiting. I am unable to follow the plan entirely as designed because I can't even manage to force myself to eat in the morning - I'm only eating two meals a day and not snacking. I feel like I would rather just not eat because nothing I can concoct or even imagine is appetizing. I am *not* craving foods that are not allowed. Even foods that I would have considered my great weaknesses - cheesy pasta, a thick sandwich on crusty bread, etc, seem - at best - slightly less repellent than permitted foods, and I don't think I would eat them even if they were offered to me.

I am not a picky eater or someone with a toddler's palate - the foods I'm eating now on Whole30 (protein-heavy salads with nuts and avocado, a chili thick with meat and veggies, etc) are definitely foods I would have eaten and enjoyed prior to beginning the plan.

Some years ago I followed the Atkins diet for several months and lost a significant amount of weight, and I seem to remember feeling somewhat similarly on that plan, but it didn't happen for a while, until I was getting very tired of eating on the plan. This time it happened essentially right away.

I suspect this is all stemming from cutting sugar, and is psychological rather than physical. I also suspect my "hunger" and "thirst" signals are wildly out of whack, because I'm also having to force myself to consume water without ever feeling like I want any, because I can see signs of dehydration in myself (dry lips and throat, dry skin, etc). Any suggestions for making it through when food - all food - and even drinking water just seems awful and unpleasant? I find this whole experience very perplexing and upsetting.

• Moderators

A big part of this may be psychological, but there could be a physical component since you have increased your consumption of meat significantly. People who usually don't eat much meat may lack the right gut bacteria to digest meat efficiently. Slow digestion can lead to a heavy feeling and a feeling of revulsion towards eating more. The thing to do would be to start taking digestive enzymes to jump-start getting your gut bacteria to the place where you digest your food efficiently. It would also help to take probiotics. Here are two articles that you may find helpful. 

What you should know about digestive enzymes

What you should know about probiotics

That's a fair point. Not to put too fine a point on it, but things are moving very slowly through my gut, despite eating a fair bit of fruit. Additionally, I did need to use a round of antibiotics to clear up a bacterial infection about six weeks ago, so it's possible my gut is extra-strained right now. I do have probiotics on hand, though I'd gotten out of the habit of taking them because I hadn't particularly noticed a change in my digestion when using them.

A question - I also have digestive enzymes on hand. They are pretty standard OTC enzymes derived from papaya, and so they include fructose. Are they OK for Whole30, in the sense that they are medicinal rather than food? They are chewable and I remember them being sweet when I last used them many moons ago, but not at all tasty - more like a chalky antacid than candy. I get the impression such enzymes are not very effective from the link above and my own further reading, however. I might see what I can find to order online.

Archived