pre-workout foods?

jann

I am struggling to comprehend why people would want to eat both protein and fat to fuel a pre-wo meal? 

1. Neither of those will metabolize in time to fuel the work out. Unless your goal is ketosis. Even then, you'd want to eat that 2hrs+ before the workout.

2. I can't imagine anybody would feel good after eating heavy foods in any sort of workout with 60%+ intensity. 

I would recommend eating a banana and a few nuts or something with a bit of protein while limiting your fat intake. 

Pre-workout - removed by mod as it does not fit with the Whole30 recommendations

Post workout meal - 2 to 1 carb to protein ratio with 30g+ of protein. Ideally, no fat in this meal as fat will inhibit muscular recovery. 

If you are hitting a wall week 2 and feeling sluggish, try to hydrate, incorporate enough salt, and increase the amount of carbs you take in to help replenish muscle glycogen stores. 

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I am struggling to comprehend why people would want to eat both protein and fat to fuel a pre-wo meal? 

1. Neither of those will metabolize in time to fuel the work out. Unless your goal is ketosis. Even then, you'd want to eat that 2hrs+ before the workout.

2. I can't imagine anybody would feel good after eating heavy foods in any sort of workout with 60%+ intensity. 

I would recommend eating a banana and a few nuts or something with a bit of protein while limiting your fat intake. 

Pre-workout - removed by mod as it does not fit with the Whole30 recommendations.

Post workout meal - 2 to 1 carb to protein ratio with 30g+ of protein. Ideally, no fat in this meal as fat will inhibit muscular recovery. 

If you are hitting a wall week 2 and feeling sluggish, try to hydrate, incorporate enough salt, and increase the amount of carbs you take in to help replenish muscle glycogen stores. 

Hey there - Thanks for asking the question.  We recommend protein and fat (not a huge amount that would be considered 'heavy' before a workout) so that your body knows that food is abundant and incoming and that the body can burn fat.  Second, we don't recommend carbs or fruit because that gives the body easy fuel to burn instead of forcing the body to burn existing fat stores.

I've removed your recommendations for pre workout as it is not inline with our recommendations and only stands to confuse new people.  That said, there are MANY differing recommendations in the exercise/bodybuilding community about what is 'better' for pre and post workout.  Ours is protein and fat before and lean protein and carbs after.  We also don't count grams or calories here and instead focus on eating real food - that said, 30grams of protein in the form of chicken breast is about the size of a deck of cards, which is not an unreasonable amount... we tell people a few bites and that fits pretty much without people needing to start weighing and counting.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

• 1 year later...

Hi y'all!  I did my first Whole30 in January and have just now started to get back into the gym.  I generally do a workout either before or after work so it's typically just before breakfast or dinner time.  I can easily do the pre-workout snack but since post-workout is meal time anyway should I just up my carbs at my regularly scheduled meal or do I need to just have a snack and eat my meal at a different time?  

• Moderators
3 hours ago, shannie_b said:

Hi y'all!  I did my first Whole30 in January and have just now started to get back into the gym.  I generally do a workout either before or after work so it's typically just before breakfast or dinner time.  I can easily do the pre-workout snack but since post-workout is meal time anyway should I just up my carbs at my regularly scheduled meal or do I need to just have a snack and eat my meal at a different time?  

It depends on the intensity of your workout - if you need a significant amount of recovery (heavy weights or high intensity cardio) then you'll want to eat the post workout snack - it's just a few bites of lean protein and optionally starchy carbs and then you can eat your dinner after.  You CAN use your evening meal as the post workout but the fact that it will have fat means that the absorption of the protein will be slowed down (that's why fat keeps you full longer) and when you've done a hefty workout, you want that protein to synthesize into your muscles quickly.  Play around with it and see how you feel best :)

Archived