Starting reintro 10/21 - All welcome!

ATL_Jen

This is a continuation of the "Starting Sept. 21" group on the support threads, but we wanted a place where we could talk about reintros and this seemed the most appropriate place. Mods, if this needs to be moved, sorry and thanks!

Although we're a continuation of an existing group, ALL ARE WELCOME to discuss life and reintros and how not to wake our sugar dragons from their deep, deep slumber. :)

I'm Jennifer, and I just finished my second Whole30. I feel really comfortable and confident in my daily routine of food and am looking forward to staying Whole30ish from here on out -- i.e., Whole30 at home and as compliant as possible when out, without going crazy over little non-compliant details. 

I had a birthday while on W30, and this Friday is my belated birthday dinner at a great farm-to-table place (http://www.millerunion.com). While not going entirely wheels off for that, I know there will be alcohol, sugar, and dairy. After that, I'm going to go back to 100% compliant until I feel like a I do now, then do a more planned reintro. 

So, who are you? What are your reintro plans? How's it going? How do you need help? Check in and let's support each other!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay, a new thread! I hope to see everyone from our old thread and some new people too:) My name is Lainey and I also just finished my second Whole30.  My first Whole30 was back in 2013 and felt great when I finished. Unfortunately, I kind of just fell off the wagon after it was over. I tried to start up a second one numerous times but it would never stick after Day 2 or 3. This time around, something just resonated with me to keep on going ~ a big part of it was the people in our 09/21 group, and the forum as a whole! I want to be more conscientious this time around, with reintros and continuing to eat whole, clean foods in general. 

Right now, I am still continuing on plan, so this would day 31+ for me:) I do want to introduce grassfed butter at some point, but I have a nice jar of ghee that I want to finish up first. 

Oh, I forgot to mention that I did weight myself today and I lost about 4.5 pounds. That was more than I was expecting and if i had to guess, I would say most of the loss came at the end. So it is definitely an incentive for people to stick with the whole 30 days or even longer!

I also plan to keep as compliant as possible. I also had a birthday on the 13th and it was pretty easy to say no. Had coffee this morning with creamer, but otherwise still on track. I still am just over 5 lbs lighter, but gradually it will come off. Stepped up biking to 15 miles a day when possible, and yesterday went on a rigorous hike.  

^ Wow, biking 15 miles a day is impressive! I definitely need to work on my endurance. Unfortunately I was sick for almost two weeks of my W30, and I didn't exercise any during it. But now I am back to taking walks, working on weights, etc. I am also hoping to get back into my kayak soon!

Hi Jennifer Lainey and Jennie! ( might now be a good time to mention my real name is Jenny? Spooky huh)

We've crossed over to the dark side! We did 30 days! We are so ninja!

And now the real work starts. Gulp. But this bit is exactly why daughter and I did this so bring it on. Have started a diary to learn and notice as much as I can.

So this was my first W30, found the organisation of it hard work (praise The Lord for Waitrose whole chicken deal!) and felt very very tired and unusually low during most of it ( although have had loads on, precious little relaxation time but that's life huh?) but right at the end started feeling better. Looking at the NSVs daughters nasal congestion has cleared, so still drippy and sneezy but less stuffed up. Her school trousers are also hanging off her which wasn't the plan. Didn't weigh her at start as all about health for us.

Zippo energy gain and only glimpses of tiger blood sadly. However........We both feel much much more in control of our eating, have had very few cravings and I now see food much more as nutrition rather than comfort or reward (daughter has asked exclusively for chocolate for Christmas so possibly not quite there yet!) which is a massive shift for me and will I hope increase the quality of my eating from now on. I lost about 6 lb and surprised it wasn't more as I'm much leaner and have had NO stomach ache at all while on the plan.

Doing reintro pretty much as stated fast track. Doing legumes for 2 days as put beans in entire pot of chilli. Durhhhhhhh. And little voice in head wondering if that means I could try a soya latte today too............but I think that would be slippery slope beconing so will stick to my black tea and enjoy feeling clean and lean and enjoy NOT having it.

Will stop soon I promise but I had a ( for me!) profound thought yday driving though a stunning avenue of golden leaved and flaming red trees.Why do I always satisfy my sense of taste? It was almost like without the food satisfaction clouding if freed me up to enjoy beauty more. Or am I just greatly in need of a latte??

Any more reinto-ers come and join us! Wouldn't have made it without these storming guys!

Thanks for setting this up jen

Hey! These past couple of weeks at work have been brutal, on top of so much life stress anyway. I have to be honest with myself: my food may be really great and nutritious and healthy, but I can't stay this tired and stressed all the time. 

I've been considered eliminating coffee (which I LOVE) and moving sole;y to decaf. Have any of you read Melissa Hartwig's coffee article? It says it took her over 4 months to feel "normal" after eliminating coffee. Sheesh. I'm scared, to be honest. No more coffee?? No more delicious nectar of the gods? No more artificial stimulation? Plus all the withdrawal symptoms. My husband might kill me. 

I need a nap and a massage. :)

All else is well! So glad we have at least a core group here, and so glad we're all moving forward. Britgirl/Jenny - how fun! Also, SO MANY BEANS. :) 

I think I need to change my name to start with a "J!" But in all seriousness, "in real life," I seem to be surrounded with people whose names start with J, so I think it's a sign that you all are my Whole30 people! :)

Jen - I am curious for your reasons for wanting to eliminate coffee. Do you normally drink a lot? Do you seem to have any negative side effects from it, or just want to cut it out to be healthier? My boyfriend stopped drinking coffee about two weeks ago, and the first week he was GRUMPY! He drank a pretty good amount though so I think it was a tough withdrawal for him. And yikes for your work stress --- is this a normal thing or do you think it will end soon? 

I actually learned to drink hot tea, green tea, in the morning. It's about half the caffeine, but you can drink two cups and not have that heavy ache from it after a couple of hours, like with coffee. And I was adding in chemical creamers, and that had to stop. Lainey I am impressed with your kayaking. I am in Oregon and we have great places to bike ride and hike, also kayaking, but terribly scared I will take a spill on a kayak!

Lainey - I'm totally, 100% dependent on caffeine (via my daily coffee fix) for all of my get up and go. I don't like knowing that, and I wonder what life would be like without caffeine - if I would (eventually) sleep better, or have more natural energy, OR be able to have the very occasional cup of coffee and get the benefits with a much smaller amount than I normally drink. I estimate I probably get about 300 mg a day via coffee and hot tea. It depends on the day/weather/mood/work situation and can be more or less, but seriously, what is that doing to my body, long term? Maybe nothing, but maybe something. And I'll never know until I try to live without it. I can always go back, right? :)

Oh, and about work stress - well, I'm a teacher but about 2 years ago I added a lot of admin responsibilities. I really enjoy the work, but there are a lot of changes happening in my department right now and the buck stops with me in most instances. So that's the stress. 

BUT! Good news! I went to bed last night at 8, guilt-free, and slept for almost 9 glorious hours! So I'm really feeling much better physically AND emotionally today. Woohoo!!!

Tonight is the birthday dinner and my first non-compliant food in 32 days. Yikes! I'm feeling a little anxious, just because I want to enjoy tonight without guilt (or physical distress!) but also be able to jump right back on the compliant wagon tomorrow without falling down the rabbit hole of junk. In other words, I'm anxious that one meal with awaken all those food dragons - sugar and otherwise - that have been dormant this month. I'm trying to distance myself emotionally from this, and treat it as a grand science experiment. We try something tonight, hop right back on good food tomorrow, and see what happens, right? Easy. 

So, how are reintro foods going for people? Britgirl, what about those beans? Anyone else tried something that did or didn't agree with them? 

Jennie ~ I am working on perfecting my roll (I paddle a whitewater kayak) but I definitely still have my days where I pull my skirt and swim! I would love to make out to Oregon and the PNW. Maybe one day.

Jen ~ Let us know how the birthday dinner goes! I like your idea of treating it as a science project. You just got through 30 whole days of eating compliant, so I I know you won't have any trouble picking back up the next day. You totally got this! Enjoy your birthday dinner.  :)

NonaVictora ~ Please let us know how the reintroduction to dairy goes! I keep meaning to go buy some full fat yogurt, but I haven't had a chance yet... so I am still eating on plan, for now.

Lainey ( I think you'd make a smashing Jainey. No?) and Jennie - can you settle a long held dispute about the difference between a kayak and a canoe please? I used to do lots of what I called canoeing but it was shortly after the time of Noah as my kids will say and it may not translate but I had a close fitting canoe with a hole for me and a spray deck and one paddle with a blade on each end. Never managed a full roll but managed hundreds of half rolls lol.

So. Beans. Yep. Just hearing the word has me rushing for a hot water bottle. So won't be featuring heavily anytime soon which is sad as with feeding five and often more they're a great way to extend meals quickly eg make Sunday roast do another meal.

We've had two days back on (tho tonight I had one small sausage without any wheat in ( cos I read all the packets) but did have sodium meta bisulphate in which is an excluded one. Now have mega gut rot and wondering if one sausage would do that?? Will the world now end? Plan was to have a dairy day tomorrow but I'll see how it goes. Daughter is desperate to have cake so I'm trying hard to keep this helpful but not too drawn out.

Had cup of tea with deaf 90 yr old today - wed agreed cup of tea and NO CAKE and when I got there he'd laid out 2 bits of cake each and a vast box of thickly coated chocolate biscuits. Milk plain and white. So salivated a bit. Breathed deeply and had my black tea. I think I've learned to consider the 5 min later outcome now (I'd have felt aweful, and hypocritical with daughter and learned nothing so not worth it) as opposed to just scarfing it all down cos it looks great. Serious progress my friends!

Nonavictoria how was dairy for you?

There's no plan for reintroing nasties like sulphites so I assume were supposed to keep avoiding? So will I still be the mad woman in waitrose reading every label??

Jen how was the dinner?? Are you back on now? I imagine today may be the hardest day to restart the restrictions but think of all the work you've put in and if you haven't already come back to us!!

Have a great weekend all

britgirl ~ Way to go on resisting the cake and biscuits!!! Definitely a non-scale victory in my book! 

Now it is quite possible that I am completely wrong, but my guess is that you were in a kayak! I think usually one paddle with two blades is for kayaking. But I know people use the terms interchangeably. At any rate, it is always nice to meet a fellow boater!:) I've been paddling for about 2.5 years now and I love, love, love it. It has turned into a big passion for my boyfriend and I.

On a W30 note, I finally introduced a little bit of butter on a potato yesterday and it went fine. I bought some full fat yogurt and will be trying that tomorrow. I can't be scared of the reintro process -- it's going to happen one way or another, and I might as well do it in a controlled environment. I can always go back to W30 way of eating if I choose to after the reintros. But I still am going to do the slow-roll method.

Hoping everyone is having a wonderful weekend!

Lainey/Jainey;)

Hi, I hope you can help me. For me, it is a little difficult to understand all things correctly, because my English is not good enough :-) - and, unfortunately, I couldn't find any German member here in the forum.

Today is my last day from W30, and tomorrow, I will begin with re-introduction. I don't want to do this exactly to the plan, because I don't want to re-introduce so many things so fast! So, I plan to begin with dairy product what I missed at most. Not really milk, more feta, yoghourt, soft white cheese (curd?) and so on.

My question is the following:

1. day - Feta and/or others
2. + 3. day back to Whole30

Perhaps the next product, potatoe, on day 5
6. + 7. day back to Whole30

Now my question: Does "back to Whole30" mean, precisely to W30 we had during the 30 days? Or does it mean, I can use the already tested things, too?

Before I made Whole30, I made LowCarb, and this is, what I want to do furthermore, too, with only some exceptions (of course tested with re-introduction :-)

Do you want to know what changed through Whole30?

These are some improvements of two immune diseases, the digestion - but unfortunately not my sleep, till now. Only the last nicht, I have to mentioned. It was the first one who I fell asleep very fast. Perhaps the spell is broken. 

If there is a changing in my weight? I don't know. Tomorrow will be the date to know it.

Hi Irene !  ~ Your first guess is correct - When the reintro says back to Whole 30 eating for two days, it means eating exactly the way you did on Whole30 (compliant) ...so do not continue to eat the things you've already reintro-ed, until after you are completely done with your reintroduction period and have decided what you want to keep in your food rotation. I hope that makes sense! 

And I've also noticed the sleep thing! I slept pretty good on the first 30 days of Whole30 (definitely better than before Whole30), but not a deep sleep and I still had some trouble falling asleep. Last week seemed especially tough for some reason, which was strange to me -- I would think on the last week of W30, sleep would come easily. However, this week (past 30 days of W30) has been the best, sleep-wise! The past few nights, I've been falling asleep about 10-15 minutes after my head hits the pillow, which I think is a record for me.  Thank you for bringing up that observation, it's definitely interesting.

Well I had some rainbow sherbet and it brought back all the sugar cravings. Darn. Its out of the house now, but will have to be vigilant again about allowing a special occasion dessert. Did a 10.5 hike to view 9 of the 10 waterfalls at Silver Falls State Park, and I find I sleep way better with physical exertion.

Jennie you are amazing with exercise! I feel virtuous if I just watch Strictly! Having said that I've just done 90 mins fairly intense gardening and my Fit Bit is telling me I need to get active or the world will end. Blooming gadget!

Greetings Irene! Guten tag! I'm afraid that's pretty much the extent of my German but glad you're with us. Let us know about your weight. And well done on the NSVs.

Lainey-Jainey (not giving up hope yet) Darn! I thought kayaks are what Pokahontas used. But yep it's (was for me) a brilliant sport. Did some white water, sea and lake canoeing. Did most recently while in Vermont in 2009. Not so easy in London sadly. Have you ever told us how you did? The sleep things weird - I don't sleep well if I low carb but have struggled to get enough on this. I'm def less tired now. Not Tiger blood exactly but I've lost the fog and the low. Finally!!

Just been on another thread looking for lactose intolerance hints and they're all naming and claiming it and have lost significant weight. I'm surprised how much I weigh and not that bothered as I'm leaner than I usually am at this weight even tho my body composition hasn't really changed. It's weird and very freeing. I was a poor sad numbers obsessed freak before W30 but now considering ditching the scales for good and going by how I feel and if my jeans still zip up!

Alison - isn't it your 21st around now?? If so Happy birthday!! Let us know how it was.

Jenny ~ I just read your question about lactose, and it came at a great time because I finally tried my first reintro item -- a serving of full fat Greek yogurt {Fage Total}. An hour after after eating it, my stomach was grumbling and bloated. I'm feeling better now but I had forgotten what the upset stomach feeling was like! I thought full fat yogurt would be a good reintro choice rather than milk {which I never drank much of pre-W30}, but when I looked at the container, I saw it had 8 grams of sugar, which means it had 8 grams of lactose. Yikes! Next reintro will be aged cheddar cheese, which has much less lactose. I am planning on testing it towards the end of the week, when my schedule is a little more free -- just in case! I'm glad I did the yogurt reintro on a Sunday afternoon LOL.

When are you planning your dairy reintro?

Embarrassed to say I fell face first into re-introduction. Did well the first 3 days, 1 day of dairy and 2 days of whole30 before a weekend of pumpkin muffins, pizza, ice cream and popcorn...

Sunday today and been compliant all day. Really did feel the difference between whole30 eating and my old ways, not to mention my stomach ballooned out like I was pregnant! Going to stick to whole30 as long as I can now and do more of a slow- roll reintroduction (not my original plan), because its just not worth it!

Making a huge batch of compliant chicken salad tonight because when I meal prep, I eat whole30 compliant! (SHOCKER)

Hope everyone learns from my example, it's just not worth it!

It is so helpful and makes fun, to find here some members they react. In another threat was no reaction :-(

Lainey: Thank you so much for your explanation. It is clear now, why the plan from Melissa is made in this way. 

Britgirl: Thank you for your welcome in German! I think, in Germany Whole30 is not yet well-known. So, I can have only help from my son who is better in English like me. But often, he is not next me.

First, I read "It begins with food" in the English version on my Kindl, but needed often help in understanding. Then, I found it in German's Amazone and read it with my Kindl, too. At 6th of October, it appears as book. But, in the title is the word "paleo" mentioned. We (my son and I) think it is very different from Paleo. Paleo has a lot of followers in Germany, too, but very often they act as missionaries and try to convince all people around with their enthusiasm. Therefore, there are a lot of people who disapprove of this "hype". Very often those people have no really knoweledge and mostly only the same sentences WHY it has to be good. It is difficult to tell our friends: "This book is really different and it is much more than Paleo"

But, I will tell you from my first day "Re-Intro" -
It cannot do it today!!! Since yesterday, the 30th day of Whole30, I have diarrhea and my stomach is mumbling very much. I cannot determine what the reason is, I didn't do any fault in the food.

So, I think, it isn't the best time to begin with "Re-Intro" - how could I find out if the product is the reason or not.

I have to wait a little!

But, this morning I weighed.  I lost (only) 2 pound (1 pound in Germany are 500 grams) in these 30 days. It is ok for me, because I began with Low Carb at 16th of June, and since that date, I redouced 12 pounds.

I decided to begin my first day of Re-Intro mit dairy products, because that is what I missed at most. A farmer, not far away, produce a wonderful curd. Now, it is in my fridge and has to wait for 1-2 days.

Oh, friends. Just . . . ugh. My stomach hurts! 

Friday night was a wonderful meal, for the most part. As it's the main goal of the restaurant, everything was local and fresh and organic (mostly) and all those buzzwords. It was also delicious. I had dairy, gluten, alcohol, sugar, but all in reasonable portions, as planned, and felt very satisfied. The one effect I noticed immediately is that the alcohol was too, too much - just a cocktail and a glass of wine, over the course of a 2 hour meal! My head was swimming and it made the food taste off. 

That night I woke up in the middle of the night, and had a vague headache, but that was the extent. 

Sugar creep came in on Saturday. W30 compliant meals, but then I just HAD to have some chocolate a friend sent me. But, still, not too bad. 

Sunday (yesterday) I fell face first into ALL the chocolate, honey roasted nuts, some of my husband's chips and salsa, a couple of beers, and then ate full on pizza for dinner. BLERGH! I slept horribly, have a headache and a stomach ache now, my seasonal allergies are flaring up, and am fighting not to find any and all sugar in my office. 

As Allyson said above, not worth it. Oh, not at all! I mean, Friday night was worth it, but the rest of the weekend was pretty abysmal. 

I'm back on the wagon! Just two days late, and ready to get back to how I felt three days ago - not foggy, healthy, good digestion, all those things. 

So that's the reinto report from me. :) 

As for you all - so great to see people joining in! 

Britgirl - Your victory over the tea biscuits is amazing! Go, you! I hope you can carry that feeling with you for a while. I'm not too sure about the sausage but it does seem as though it affected you. My sister - otherwise a stomach of steel - is very affected by certain preservatives. And maybe the beans would be OK in a smaller quantity? I do want to be able to reintro beans myself, for all the reasons you mention. 

Lainey - Glad the butter worked out, but sorry about the yogurt! I don't know if you can find it, but there's a great local (ATL) brand of fell-fat, grassfed yogurt we can get at Whole Foods. Atlanta's Fresh Dairy, I think. Maybe it's in Birmingham - it's great stuff. That being said, yeah, the lactose is still an issue for me. :(

Jennie - My sugar dragon wakens so quickly, too! Sorry about the sherbet, but I'm trying to remind myself, "Well, now you know." Way to get lots of exercise in! 

Irene - So nice to meet you! I hope you feel better soon and can start reintros when you're ready. 

Allyson - Happy birthday, and I feel your pain! :) Ack! 

That's it for now. Had a great compliant breakfast, compliant lunch in the office fridge, and compliant dinner cooking in the crock pot at home. We will survive! 

BritGirl, Jennifer, Lainey and Jennie: Hi, I'm Debbie. Delighted to be following your journeys because I have a week to go before my first W30 is complete, and I keep imagining falling face-first into a pint of Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough on the 31st day. My physical craving for chocolate is gone but for decades the Sugar Dragon has been the honored guest at every celebration, including "That was a hard day, I deserve a treat." In other words it's a habit my body seems to have broken but my head hasn't. As I said, will follow you ladies with great interest-- thank you for the preview.

Hi all,
I feel really better and think about the Re-Intro for tomorrow. The wonderful curd is waiting. AND when I read, I should eat ice-cream, I was so happy, because I have a portion self made ice-cream in the fridge!

In the last days, I could fall asleep  very fast - and about that, I am really happy. What I miss as yet is, to sleep without breaks. 

Jen: I am really surprised about your report and what you could eat and drink! My goodness, can you stop now?
I wonder that my dragon of sweet things is over because before I began with Low-Carb I was addicted and couldn't end before I was near by bursting.

Debbie: The best solution, not to fall into this pint is, to give all dangerous things away. We have here a place named "Food sharing" and there, I brought all the things I have not to use or to add. Forget it, because on day 31 begins the Re-Introduction only!  ;)  :)

Allison and Jen -- Thank you both for sharing your experiences!!! It sounds like when going intentionally off-road for a night, it is best to have meals for the next day already lined up and prepared so I won't be tempted to keep going with the uncompliant food. I think it's awesome that both of y'all hopped back quickly on the wagon. In the scheme of things, one or two days of off-roading is nothing. But I can definitely see how it can become a slippery-slope...yikes!  Jen - I just looked up that yogurt and we do have it at the Whole Foods here! I will have to check it out (but maybe not eat the whole serving LOL). 

Debb -- Good luck with your Whole30! Feel to free to post in here during your 30 days and after too -- this forum is definitely what helped me get through the 30 days and beyond!

Good news! After one day back being compliant, I'm physically feeling much, MUCH better. Lainey, I'm glad my digestive distress taught you something! :lol: And I love your idea of having a firm plan for the day after off-roading. I should have done that more than I did. Duh. 

Irene - Oh, I can eat more! And pay for it. Quantity of food (and certainly sugar) has never been a problem for me. 

Debbie - Welcome! Please post and share. The forums as a whole are great, and the mods are really helpful if you ever have specific questions. 

Happy Tuesday, all!

Archived