Starting reintro 10/21 - All welcome!

ATL_Jen

First timer...today is day 30 for me! Yay! It has gone well. My husband did it with me and he is fabulous cook. I was never really hungry or felt deprived (except for the lack of creamer in my coffee) I have lost 6lbs. My husband is an ultra runner and around day 20 he got the Tiger blood and is singing Whole30 praises. He took 15 minutes off a hard, long run and that included stopping a couple times to chat with people he knew! The best part is he still had energy after the run and didn't feel completely wiped out. He is going to introduce beer first! He is a Brewmaster at a brewery so he has to reintroduce this!

However, I have never felt great on the program. I had headaches a lot. I went through many days where I just felt like crap. I do Pilates 5 days a week and I never had a fabulous workout. Actually, I feel weaker at all of my workouts. I have eaten more vegetables this past thirty days than I have in the last three years! I could probably increase my water intake, but I feel great about all the food I have eaten.

So my question is...what should I start with on my reintro tomorrow? What I am missing most is my evening cocktail! I usually have a glass of wine with dinner and one after the kids go to bed. Sometimes I have a scotch on the rocks and I find that I am craving a scotch more than wine! I also miss my creamer for my coffee, but I want to keep this out of my diet as I really don't need all the extra calories that come with creamer! So maybe I will start with a scotch on the rocks!

I know alcohol is not the best thing to reintroduce, so after I indulge and reward myself for my successful 30 days, any recommendations that might give me the energy I am lacking?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Julie! Welcome! You are definitely welcome to post here, but I would suggest posting about 2-3 days worth of food over in the "Troubleshooting" forum for a mod to look at. They are really good about making helpful tweaks. My $.02 (worth much less on the open market) is that you shouldn't really reintro if you're not feeling great yet. Then again, many people never get the whole Tiger Blood thing - I felt good at Day 30, but I certainly wasn't knocking lots of time off my long runs. When you mention lacking energy, my first though it that you were missing starchy carbs. A lot of women avoid these on the W30, but they are crucial for our hormones and energy. Were you eating many? The mods often recommend starting with a fist-sized serving per meal and adjusting from there. 

Hello everyone,

So my re-into to dairy last week went ok, I didn't seem to have any problems.  I did only eat one serving of yogurt and no other dairy the rest of the day, so I don't know if I ate enough to really make a difference.  I did realize though that I really don't miss dairy, but at least I know I can have a little without it bothering me.

My issue still seems to be the Sugar Dragon!  I was making treats this weekend for a bake sale and thought to myself "You can have just a little bit, it won't hurt".  WRONG!  I was not able to stop at "just a little bit" and my stomach was so upset the next day I ended up missing work!  Lesson learned, I can't have even a little bit of sugar without falling completely off of the wagon.  Of course there was gluten involved also, so I'm sure that didn't help matters.

I'm thinking about doing another Whole30 to re-set my system again, then staying the heck away from the sugar and gluten. 

Happy Thursday! Is anyone doing anything fun for Halloween this weekend? I went out for dinner with some friends last night and I had a mushroom hamburger with no bun -- told them to hold the swiss! It was great. 

Victora ~ I hope you are feeling better! The sugar dragon is EVIL!

I took some progress pictures during the first week of my W30 and I keep forgetting to take updated pictures. I need to remember to do that soon!

Hi Victoria! Welcome! My sugar dragon is a serious monster, so you have my sympathy. I love baking but have almost entirely given it up. I can't do moderation and I can't be that tempted and no give in. And my mental health is better for it, too. No sense torturing myself. 

Lainey - I never took update pictures, either! I'm kind of nervous to, because I don't think I look that different. But I feel awesome, so that's what I'm hanging on to. :)

No really big Halloween plans. We're going out with our good friends to trick or treat with our little godson. I'm not too tempted by Halloween candy - except for Reese's pumpkins! - so I'm not too worried. We're hosting a farewell brunch Saturday morning, but that's with a compliant casserole and some fruit. 

Britgirl? Jennie? Irene? Allyson? How's it going? Don't disappear without saying goodbye! :)

No, no, I will not disappear, but I thought to tell not too much.

You know, I began with my first Re-In on Tuesday. The day was very good, and I was so happy. Cheese is, what I missed at most!

The next day was good - until I ate Brussels sprout. After that the devil was in my stomach: hurt, bloating, flatulence and so on.
At night, I couldn't sleep well, too. 

Yesterday (day three) again diarrhea. In the afternoon, I was invited for dinner, and the inviter and I did our best: Instead of the soup with cream, I had an avocado with a little of salad sauce. Then a corn salad - for me, without tomatoe. The main course was filet in a hot sauce. I ounly ate the meat - and no dessert.

And todoay should be day 4 = 2. group of food. BUT I have diarrhea, again! So I will stop the Re-In.

I had diarrhea during Whole30, too - so I don't know, if that is now independent of Re-In, if it is the late reaction of dairy products, if it is the reaction of the Brussels sproud, if there was any unknown in the Dinner yesterday (a little sweet was in the salad dressing. ??? Who knows it? 

How mentioned, I stopped the Re-In for today, my bun and the pasta has to wait!

I see, my Re-Introduction will last longer than normal.

I'm sorry your stomach isn't feeling tha great Irene! That sounds tricky -- it could be any of the things you mentioned! I feel I've read in more than one place that brussel sprouts are a common problem for gas and bloating in some people. 

I am going kayaking tomorrow and I am thinking about making my own sugar-free bacon jerky in the oven today (don't have dehydrator unfortunately).  I am enjoying staying on the no sugar wagon!  

This is totally NOT Whole30, but I am going to attempt to make a fathead pizza crust to use for my introduction to cheese tonight. Will report back on how it turns out! If it turns out well, it might be a once a month meal in our household for something different, or something good to bring to parties. 

After last weekend's off road experience, I've been compliant since Monday, with the plan that I would wait until I felt "good" again to start actual reintros. I'm mostly OK, but have some unexpected pimples, so I do think something is working its way through my system and I'm going to still wait a few days. 

This morning I had a bit of an epiphany/moment of truth, that I'm afraid of doing ANY reintros. I just don't want to not feel as good as I do now. But I know I need to, and that next week at some point will be the time. So this weekend I'm going to come up with a plan for what that will look like. Some trepidation, but it'll be fine. I think. :)

Sorry for the continued stomach upset, Irene! And that pizza crust looks really interesting, Lainey. I keep meaning to try the cauliflower crust but haven't made the time. Let us know how it is!

No, no, I will not disappear, but I thought to tell not too much.

You know, I began with my first Re-In on Tuesday. The day was very good, and I was so happy. Cheese is, what I missed at most!

The next day was good - until I ate Brussels sprout. After that the devil was in my stomach: hurt, bloating, flatulence and so on.

At night, I couldn't sleep well, too. 

Yesterday (day three) again diarrhea. In the afternoon, I was invited for dinner, and the inviter and I did our best: Instead of the soup with cream, I had an avocado with a little of salad sauce. Then a corn salad - for me, without tomatoe. The main course was filet in a hot sauce. I ounly ate the meat - and no dessert.

And todoay should be day 4 = 2. group of food. BUT I have diarrhea, again! So I will stop the Re-In.

I had diarrhea during Whole30, too - so I don't know, if that is now independent of Re-In, if it is the late reaction of dairy products, if it is the reaction of the Brussels sproud, if there was any unknown in the Dinner yesterday (a little sweet was in the salad dressing. ??? Who knows it? 

How mentioned, I stopped the Re-In for today, my bun and the pasta has to wait!

I see, my Re-Introduction will last longer than normal.

Are you reintroducing a  food group the day after you reintroduced a different food group? We recommend putting two days of 100% Whole30 eating in between reintroductions, to allow for delayed reactions.  That way if something doesn't affect you until the next day, it's clear what the cause is.

Hi all! I just wrapped up my second Whole30 and started my reintroduction today so thought I'd join in on the chatter here. My first round earlier this year I didn't do a formal reintro and learned my lesson :) So back to it, had a great 2nd round, and started this morning with legumes (peanuts). About an hour after eating I started to feel nauseous, bloated, and a little anxious (weird??) so am a little nervous about incorporating more legumes throughout the rest of the day. I might skip adding something at lunch and then incorporate hummus at dinner since I do really miss that and see how I feel after that. I've had a feeling for the past few years that beans are not my friend, but I hadn't realized that it was potentially all legumes. So learning #1 is already here which I am thankful for!  

No Chris, 

I used the food group "dairy" on Tuesday and came back to Whole30 the next day!
Brussels sprouds is allowed, too, but after that the problem began and did not really end. 

Today, we have Friday, and this is the 4th day, means the next group could reintroduced. But I didn't! I do not feel good enough.

I am on Whole30 again, and I don't know, if I will have the next try for Re-In tomorrow. 

This morning I had a bit of an epiphany/moment of truth, that I'm afraid of doing ANY reintros. I just don't want to not feel as good as I do now. But I know I need to, and that next week at some point will be the time. So this weekend I'm going to come up with a plan for what that will look like. Some trepidation, but it'll be fine. I think. :)

Hey Jen, I had the exact same feeling right at the end of our Whole30.  I felt so great, why would I want to introduce anything back? But I know for ME, life is going to happen -- and I'd rather reintroduce items in a controlled environment {i.e. at home} versus deciding to go completely off-road out of town or away from my house, and be sick when away from home. Because at some point down the road, it might "be worth it" to me to try a bite of pasta or some cheese, or whatever, and I think it's better to go ahead and know the effects now. I think we have the same mindset! I like your plan of going slowly -- that is what I am doing now. Also, with a slow-roll introduction, I feel like I am still reaping the benfits of the Whole30. To be honest, I think I'm feeling them more now, then during the actual W30! Just remember that reintroducing something doesn't mean you have to put it back into your food rotation permanently and it is not going to derail the awesome progress you've made.  

No Chris, 

I used the food group "dairy" on Tuesday and came back to Whole30 the next day!

Brussels sprouds is allowed, too, but after that the problem began and did not really end. 

Today, we have Friday, and this is the 4th day, means the next group could reintroduced. But I didn't! I do not feel good enough.

I am on Whole30 again, and I don't know, if I will have the next try for Re-In tomorrow. 

I'm technically done with my reintros but came to this thread to greet a fellow German Whole30-er! Sorry about your disgestive issues! No fun. 

I WILL however try chocolate tomorrow (85%, fair trade, dairy free, no soy lecithin) for Halloween. Haven't had any since late August. Curious as to how that will go down, haha. 

Hello Sari, greetings back to you!

Where are you coming from in Germany? Next me (near Stuttgart).

How do you feel after Whole30 and the reintrodaction? Is everything like wanted?

I'm originally from Lübeck but currently living in Emden (north-west, close to the Dutch border) for my studies. 

I feel great! I've done two Whole30's, one in June and another one in September. Found out my skin is very (very!) sensitive to certain foods (dairy  :(). I've been grain-free since January so I had less to give up. After reintros I've decided to cut them out forever (unless it's a really special occasion) because, as it turns out, grain consumtion is linked to my allergies. 

Hi Sari,

unfortunately, Lübeck and Emden are far away from here, so, I cannot invide you for a coffee or tee and some fruits.

It would be nice when this wonderful program will be known more and more in Germany, too.
Till now, I could no people tell from a doctor who practice it.

This morning (we are some hours back to the USA), I already had my breakfast. I decided to have a Re-In with grain (gluten). Till June, I baked all products for the family myself and had to end this hobby because we decided for Low-Carb. 

You are right, Low-Carb is are partial similar to W30, but of cause my immune sicknesses, I decided to do the version of W30 that takes off nightshades, too.

I miss potatoes and tomatoes, not only dairy products. Grain is not the main problem.

Will see what happens with grain, today - for Lunch, I have selfmade pasta  :-)

Jennie ~ Enjoy your visit with your son! Don't forget that a day or two of "off-roading" won't derail your progress. You got this! :)

Welcome to the thread Sari!

I just wanted to share that the pizza I made that I mentioned upthread was delicious, and more importantly, did not cause any stomach issues!  I also had a piece of swiss cheese on a bunless burger last night and I was fine.  Cheese won't be an everyday thing for me but it's nice to know I can have certain types of cheese without any stomach problems. I'm also planning on not having the pizza too much, maybe once a month. I want to try and stay closer to the true basics of W30. 

Happy November 1st everyone! :)

Yeah, happy November! Thanks for the welcome!

I visited a friend today and we stopped by this adorable tiny hard candy factory. I bought a jar for my grandparents (already Christmas shopping). Then the workers put out small pieces of still gooey warm sugary goodness for customers to taste. I hesitated (because I had honey yesterday and sugar is a slippery slope for me), but then decided it was worth it. I only had one piece, then managed to stop (victory!). Then five minutes later, I got these terrible stomach cramps. I'm not 100% sure if there was a correlation but I haven't craved any more sugar today.

I regretted my decision but I'm not getting down on myself for it, or suddenly looking in the mirror thinking "was this fat there yesterday?". Tomorrow is a new day.

Yo all! Still here! Daughter had operation this week so sorry to ignore you all. Then forgot my password. Any one know how to change if from the long random chain of figures they've given me? While I'm there I thought I'd turn myself the right way up!

We've been doing ok. Pretty much by the book ( daughter refused the non complient food and drink they kept trying to feed her post op bless her, but didn't want to say why. She was brilliant!? I meanwhile was down in Costa downing a large off plan latte which I felt I deserved due to the stress of the day. )

Last day yday and went to party so had modest but complete mix of off W30 foods and am still using the hot water bottle! Was up much of night in bathroom. Jen - high five! Maybe it just has to be done to learn the lesson.

More later but need sleep.

Great to hear about you all and hello newbies!

Hello! Just wanted to pop in and say hi. I appear to have come down with a cold and am taking zinc. Ugh.

All is well! I ended up reintro'ing gluten over the weekend in the form of 4 Chinese dumplings. Homemade by a Chinese mom friend, and totally worth it to me as I lived in China in my 20s and am all about authentic dumplings on the rare (less than every 2 years) occasion I can get them. That was Saturday night and I had a bit of a rumbly belly Sunday, but overall I was OK. 

The cold, I fear, is just the season. Pretty de-motivational, on top of the darkness, cold, and wet happening here in my neck of the woods. 

Glad to see people! I will stop by again tomorrow!

Sari -- Love your positive attitude - you are so right, tomorrow is another day! And purposely having one piece of candy and then deciding to stop is a NSV for sure.  

Ugh, I hope you feel better Jen! Almost everyone I know has gotten sick over the past month. I feel like it seems to be par to the course with the weather changing. That is great that reintroduction is going well - I'm jealous on what you got to reintroduce gluten with .... YUM! 

britgirl -- I hope your daughter is recovering nicely! And I hope you are feeling better too! Sending everyone "get well" vibes.

Here again after some bad days with stomach ache and dirarrhea (in a way, I never had before, only if I had a special sickness).

I am really unsure if they are coming from an infection or as a result of Re-In.

During the whole time with Low Carb, I felt very good! During the time with W30, I had more often stomach ache, full feeling, bloatings and diarrhea.

I wonder, if Low Carb would be better for me than W30? The reason is too, that I thought about the beginning of my sleeping disruptions. They began in the USA, and there I already ended with dairy products. 

Now, I will do W30 untill my stomach seems to be ok. After that, I will do a next try with a little dairy products in the way, I did during my Low Carb time. Will see what happens.

Hey Irene!  I'm sorry your stomach is giving you trouble! I know you mentioned you've done low carb before and like it.  One idea to try lower carb while incorporating Whole30/paleo/primal style of eating. That is what I've been doing the last two weeks and it's really working well. Kind of a clean-eating style of keto/low carb. Don't forget that W30 is an elimination diet that isn't supposed to last forever -- It's a baseline to figure out what works for you.:) 

Archived