Heartbroken on Day 24

angelamarie22

I went to the dr today hoping that on Day 25 I would see weight loss results.  Only to find out that I had gained 10 lbs!!!

I cannot express how upset and disappointed I am about this.  I have stayed true to form on these 25 days. The dr is just as baffled as I am about the gain.  So we are going to do a blood panel tomorrow to check for some things. Anyone else find themselves on the gain while doing the program? This is my first round of whole 30.

Signed Heartbroken and Crying.

Okay - please take a big deep breath.  And now another one - and maybe another one if you really need it.  Feel better? Good.

Before you freak out know this - you are much better, much more than just a number on the scale!  Really and truly.  You are a beautiful human being.  Treat your self like one.  Respect yourself and everything what you can do.

Okay now to the nuts and bolts

How stressed have you been lately? Stress will make you hold onto weight or gain weight.  Believe me I know this first hand.

How much sleep are you getting? Focus on getting at least 8 hours of solid restful sleep.

How active are you? If you are really active and not feeding yourself enough - you might be giving yourself issues there.

How much are you eating?  The reason WHY I am asking this is if you are under eating your body will hold onto everything you give it and gain weight.  If you are able to list a couple days worth of meals here we can help you troubleshoot.

Lastly it is a 30 day program for a reason.  Some people don't loose weight until after their actual whole 30 ends.  Everyone is a little different.

I gained to begin with too but I lost cm's. Has your body shape changed at all as weight is not the whole picture? Since I gained at the beginning I have continued on eating W30 style and gone on to lose that that plus quite a bit more, I am over the moon with the progress I have made but it is a longer journey for me.

Thank you guys for your support and responses :)

I've been stressed but I'm kinda an anxiety person anyway ( I take meds for it) . I'm overweight- a lot overweight. I've had success at WW by losing 85 lbs once so I was/am really pumped about this way of eating!

I'm not an active person yet my activity hasn't decreased since I started the Whole 30. My joints (feet-knees) feel soo much better since I've started no stiffness in the mornings or after sitting for a period of time. So I know something is working!

I've always had sleep issues but I normally run 6-8 hrs a night (including interruptions of getting up - bathroom-dogs etc)

Outside of my anxiety I don't have any known medical issues. (hence my dr running a blood panel on me tomorrow to see if anything pops up) My Dr. is just as perplexed about my lack of weight loss as I am.

For example on eats:

Breakfast - coffee w/coconut milk    (leftovers from dinner if available or banana w/almond butter  and a protein )

Lunch- Leftovers from night before dinner (today was a chicken breast -breaded in almond meal w/spices baked - with carrots and sweet potato.

Snack- almonds

Dinner: Crock pot beef cooked w/peppers and onions along with a salad with boiled egg and oil dressing.

(all sauces and oils are Whole 30 approved that I would or might use)

I drink approx. 128-160 oz of water at work a day PLUS when I get home I have about another 32 oz or less of water.

I'm never hungry -I've not broken down and even chewed gum for pete's sake. :) 

• Moderators

Thank you guys for your support and responses :)

I've been stressed but I'm kinda an anxiety person anyway ( I take meds for it) . I'm overweight- a lot overweight. I've had success at WW by losing 85 lbs once so I was/am really pumped about this way of eating!

I'm not an active person yet my activity hasn't decreased since I started the Whole 30. My joints (feet-knees) feel soo much better since I've started no stiffness in the mornings or after sitting for a period of time. So I know something is working!

I've always had sleep issues but I normally run 6-8 hrs a night (including interruptions of getting up - bathroom-dogs etc)

Outside of my anxiety I don't have any known medical issues. (hence my dr running a blood panel on me tomorrow to see if anything pops up) My Dr. is just as perplexed about my lack of weight loss as I am.

For example on eats:

Breakfast - coffee w/coconut milk    (leftovers from dinner if available or banana w/almond butter  and a protein )

Lunch- Leftovers from night before dinner (today was a chicken breast -breaded in almond meal w/spices baked - with carrots and sweet potato.

Snack- almonds

Dinner: Crock pot beef cooked w/peppers and onions along with a salad with boiled egg and oil dressing.

(all sauces and oils are Whole 30 approved that I would or might use)

I drink approx. 128-160 oz of water at work a day PLUS when I get home I have about another 32 oz or less of water.

I'm never hungry -I've not broken down and even chewed gum for pete's sake. :)

You don't list portion sizes, but what I highlighted in red is giving me a warning flag that you are not eating enough if that can be considered breakfast and that you're needing to 'snack'.

In all, your food intake strikes me as low and if you're restricting your intake, your body could be hanging on to weight because it's hungry and scared. If you aren't eating enough then the symptom of 'never hungry' is likely your hormones being out of whack.

Can you list a couple more days and include portion sizes (palm size for protien, cup sizes for veg, thumb sizes for fat).  

Like most newbies I struggle most with Breakfast- I just don't get hungry for it. So I would agree with the fact I need to focus more on that.

I'm never hungry as I feel full so that's why I enjoy this way of eating. Since I'm at the office and my weekly menu is on my home laptop..off the top of my head :

Last night I had a chicken breast w/the almond meal and seasonings it was the size of the palm of my hand and 1/2. Along with that I had asparagus sautéed in olive oil with prosciutto. I would say half a bundle of the asparagus.

I would have to look at the menu to give you other examples but maybe I'm not eating enough of the veggies?

Well, I have a couple of things for you to think about.  

First of all, anxiety is your body letting you know something is wrong.  Yes, I know, there are medications for it, and they help -- but you are still not addressing the underlying issues that are causing the anxiety in the first place.

You should be very careful with caffeine, or eliminate it completely for awhile and see what you notice.  Not only is caffeine an appetite suppressant, it is a stimulant.  When you want to feel all calm and mellow -- yeah, coffee will do the opposite of that for you.  It can also cause an increase in cortisol (stress hormone), which is not an ideal environment for losing body fat.  Only you know how much you are drinking, at what times of day, and how you feel afterwards.  I just wanted to throw it out there as something to consider.

I also want to stress the importance of eating 3 template meals per day.  Protein + veggies + fat.  If you pay close attention, you will notice that your anxiety is UP when you are having blood sugar issues.  Going too long without eating, eating sugary things that cause a spike and then a crash.....  Triggers.  Really focus on eating meals that will keep you full and satiated for 4-5 hours and eliminate the need for snacking.  Make your breakfast a BIG template breakfast -- it sets the tone for the rest of your day.  It really does.

I agree that you may not be eating enough, and that may be contributing to your body's stressed-out state.  If you have been a lifelong dieter, if you have done a lot of yo-yo-ing, it may take awhile for your body to trust that you are going to give it what it needs and it doesn't need to hold onto everything you give it.  While many would like to think of the internal workings of our body as a simple math equation -- I can guarantee you that it is far (FAR) more complex than that. 

Maybe a little more of everything?  I agree with what Brewer has to say above.  Eating 3 template meals is very important.  We cannot stress how important this is.

Breakfast is the most important right now.  It will help with the hormone adjustments.  Yes you need more veggies in your breakfast for sure.  Do not let fruits push veggies off your plate.

My favourite breakfast is as follows:

Approximate 1.5 palm sized portion of seasoned browned ground beef (I cook this ahead of time - generally for the week or at least 4 days) 

Fist sized portion of cubed, cooked and seasoned sweet potato cubes (again I cooked this ahead of time)

2 large handfuls of baby spinach

Add cooking fat to a frying pan.  Add ground beef to warm up.  Add sweet potato.  mix around and allow everything to warm up.  Add the spinach and allow spinach to wilt.  Add dollops of homemade mayo.  Eat up.

If you do choose to have coffee make sure it's after breakfast - not before.

• Administrators

I'm actually wondering what level of restriction you might've been at before Whole30.  We often tell people that have restricted and dieted a lot that they need to be prepared that they may temporarily gain weight when they come to Whole30, just because if you are following the template, typically you'll be eating a lot more than what the restriction was allowing.

It is completely possible that your 10# gain, besides being partially hormonal, water weight, food in your digestive tract, possible lack of bowel movement that day, is a result of coming from a place of heavy restriction.

Getting your breakfast in line (thereby getting your hormones in line) needs to be your number one focus right now.  Make that template meal (leave off the fruit until you have had a proper template meal at breakfast for at least a week -- -- this is not a rule but my personal recommendation for your current situation).  Eat as much as you can of it and then take it with you to eat again as soon as you feel able (ie, not when you get hungry but as soon as you feel physically able to eat it).  Keep doing this until you are eating a template meal within an hour of waking.

For you, right now, given the past you've outlined, weight loss needs to take a backburner to eating healthful, whole food in quantities that are appropriate and are timed around 4-5 hours apart.  The body drops weight when it is feeling hormonally balanced and safe.  Anything outside of that is fad, restriction and punishment dieting.  Eat food, drink water, get sleep, be gentle with yourself.  This may not come together for you in 30, 60 or 90 days depending on your history.  But there is never, ever anything wrong about eating protein, vegetables and some good fats.

I drink 1 cup of coffee in the AM and that's it. I used to be an avid Diet Dew drinker so 24 days sober from that is huge :)

I like the ground beef/spinach sweet potato mash up-I think I can totally do that.  I know we aren't supposed to be counting calories and to be honest I haven't since doing this Whole 30 stint. But when I was looking at what I actually ate I think I'm not eating enough. So from now on I will move forward really looking at what I am eating and having that template in mind. Also trying to keep from snacking on the snack size almonds or fruit by eating enough at actual meals to stay full. I really appreciate all the insight and help. After my appt. this morning I felt so crushed. But I don't want to give up! I have a lot invested in this :) Eating right is expensive and I just bought a new Ninji kitchen gadget :)

Before starting the Whole 30 my diet was this: -Breakfast-donut or 2 -diet dew and coffee w/creamer   lunch-burger fries or dinner leftovers

snacking-chips-candy . dinner: something fatty-with bread cheese etc. Followed up by a entire pint of ice cream about 3-4 times a week.

So I wasn't depriving myself of food before -this is actually the best I have eaten in regards to "real food". 

• Administrators

Okeedokee....yes, you weren't depriving yourself of calories.  But you are probably seriously nutritionally deficient and every molecule that you are giving your body right now is going to be held.  Keep going forward, get those nutrients in (veggies, veggies, veggies!) and eat enough food.

Just to digress a bit here to celebrate with you....

Look how far you have come!  Wow!  Good for you!!!!!

Keep it up.  Focus on getting enough nutrient dense food in, bringing down your stress levels, and treating yourself kindly.

I know you will do this.

-this is actually the best I have eaten in regards to "real food". 

Celebrate ^this^ win.

• Moderators

Before starting the Whole 30 my diet was this: -Breakfast-donut or 2 -diet dew and coffee w/creamer   lunch-burger fries or dinner leftovers

snacking-chips-candy . dinner: something fatty-with bread cheese etc. Followed up by a entire pint of ice cream about 3-4 times a week.

So I wasn't depriving myself of food before -this is actually the best I have eaten in regards to "real food". 

Congratulations for finding your way to this new way of eating and treating your body right!  As others have said, it will take time for your body to trust you and while you were not depriving calories, like Ladyshanny said, you were probably  most definitely nutrient deprived.

Keep trucking along with your bad self and you're right, if you feel you aren't eating enough, you probably arent so mirror the template at every meal and monitor your hunger... if you can get 4-5 hours between, then perfect... if not, up your meal intake (especially breakfast... nutrition during the day is cumulative)

One thing I was wondering about, too: Were you comparing on the same scale, at the doctor's office, and did you weigh literally the day before you started this Whole 30?

How are your clothes fitting? Like you have gained 10 pounds, or no?

And while you may have been eating junk in recent past, an 85 pound weight loss with WW does tell a different story. One of counting & restriction. This is the definition of yo-yo, and your body does not like it one bit.

Show your body it does not have to be that way. :)

I have nothing new to add.... all the great advice is above, but I do want to add my personal confirmation that what everyone is saying is true. Eat the template & LOAD up on the veggies.... ditch the fruit, especially at breakfast... can you swap out your regular coffee for decaff coffee? Or even half regular & half decaff? These are all things that absolutely work for me. Fruit in the morning makes me feel snack-y in the afternoon. Coffee can make me wired. If I drop the amount of food, I stop losing weight. If I stay full, especially full with veggies, my mood is much, much better... and I don't need coffee or snacks. It's feels counter-intuitive, but it does work. First order of business is to get your hormones in balance. Everything else will follow.

Honestly, I am so impressed with what you have accomplished in 25 short days.... you have how many years of coffee & donut breakfasts and in just 25 days you have embraced real food... and you're looking for help & advice instead of giving up? You rock, girl! Your journey might be longer than 30 days - and that is okay - (Mine was too) - but darn you have come a long way in 25 days. Congratulations.

Keep at it, and you'll knock it out of the park. ;)

Thanks guys! I can totally do decaf coffee. I actually have a box at home so I can switch that tomorrow. I got a blood panel done this am to ensure nothing medical is going on. I brought my meal plan to work so I can run to the store at lunch and get some things to finish my week (changing my breakfasts) until this weekend when I redo my meal plan for next week. I would like more recommendations on breakfasts- I'm not real into eggs but I can eat them if they are paired with other things (texture issue) but I'm digging the spinach, sweet potato and ground beef/turkey idea!

I would like more recommendations on breakfasts- I'm not real into eggs but I can eat them if they are paired with other things (texture issue) but I'm digging the spinach, sweet potato and ground beef/turkey idea!

Start thinking about breakfast as "meal 1." Anything you eat at other meals, you can have at breakfast.   If eggs aren't your thing, google Whole30 non-egg breakfast to get links to past discussion threads on alternative ideas.  Also check out this thread of non-traditional breakfasts

Haddock & carrots is one of my favorite non-egg breakfasts. Chicken & any other vegs. Sausage & vegs cooked in the same pan. Add an avolcado or a dollop of mayo or melt some ghee over the vegs. Any meat with blended soup (great for rushed mornings). In a word... l e f t o v e r s ! I used to really dislike leftovers. Now I feel much happier... more secure... if there are lots of leftovers in my fridge, because then I know I have lots of things to choose from & I don't have to cook to get a good meal. Win/win.

• Administrators

I just made this for dinner but it would be great for breakfast too. Sautee some sliced sweet onion and some ground beef. Add some coleslaw mix (the lazy woman's way to get shredded cabbage) and some chopped green beans. In a jar/cup, mix together some coconut milk and some spices (I used garam masala and curry) and pour it over the meat and veggies and let it all simmer for about 10 minutes while you put your makeup on or dry your hair. Warm, comforting, flavourful, one bowl/pan and meets the template. :)

Last night I went home and made a pot of ground turkey with sausage seasonings cook in olive oil-I added peppers and onions. I also added some kale and butternut squash cubes. So I had some of that for breakfast. I'm not ready to eat the first hour that I get up in the AM but I had it as close to that 1st hr that I could. I think keeping something like that on hand will be good to warm up and eat . I appreciate all the tips! I got my fruit infused water bottle from amazon yesterday. It's a nice refreshing treat to plain old water :)

• Administrators

Last night I went home and made a pot of ground turkey with sausage seasonings cook in olive oil-I added peppers and onions. I also added some kale and butternut squash cubes. So I had some of that for breakfast. I'm not ready to eat the first hour that I get up in the AM but I had it as close to that 1st hr that I could. I think keeping something like that on hand will be good to warm up and eat . I appreciate all the tips! I got my fruit infused water bottle from amazon yesterday. It's a nice refreshing treat to plain old water :)

Sounds good, nice work!  Keep trying to get within that hour, it really is one of the absolute most important keys to balancing hormones.........and with hormonal balance, everything else starts to fall into place.  :)

Archived