Living a "mostly Whole30" Life

Hey all,

I finished my Whole30 barely two weeks ago, and I have already fallen so far off the wagon. I never even completed the reintroduction phase. My eating habits have progressively gotten worse over the last two weeks and I am back to where I started. As a result I've decided that starting tomorrow, when I'm cooking just for me, I will eat only Whole30 compliant foods. I live by myself, so I'm cooking just for me 90% of the time. The problem is that "mostly Whole30" stared with good intentions, and not so slowly devolved into "I deserve to order in pizza". What I deserve is to be happy, and healthy, and stop the food related shame spiral. I started the Whole30 because I had a major problem with ordering food in, and tomorrow, that stops. Cold turkey. No more ordering in. I just wanted to type it out and post it as some form of commitment to my new "mostly Whole30" life.

I would sit down and make a list of all the reasons you started the W30?  And I would list all the NSV you had during your 30 days.  Focus on how you felt and all the emotions you had while eating clean.  I would also make a list of all the reasons you deserve to be happy and healthy!  Because you do deserve to be the happiest, healthiest version of you! 

When I started this program in September I was already looking for 'something'.  Something that would be easy (no measuring, tracking,weighing foods, eating weird bizarre things and inhaling bunches of supplements.) I knew going into W30 that this was something I wanted to incorporate into my life indefinitely.  I'm not saying I eat 100% compliant every day, but the non-compliant things are conscious decisions that I don't feel guilty about.

One of the things that helped me tremendously was keeping the routine I had during the W30.  I make sure I stock up with lots of veggies and meats over the weekend. I throw a nice roast in the crockpot and use that in my salads everyday. There's never any worries about lunch and there's never a lunch that isn't compliant.  If I'm eating at home...I'm eating compliant.  No takeout...it's just asking for trouble. If I'm eating off plan its for something I really want and/or something someone else is making for me.

Maybe you need to consider doing another W30 again.  You may need a little more time for the new, healthy habits to kick in.  There's lots of groups starting all the time and I found being part of the group really helped me through it.  It's nice to be with a group that is experiencing the same struggles and successes, who can relate and offer support!

Good luck!! You can do this!

I finished my 2nd whole30 a couple weeks ago and I'm approaching "life after" much differently this time. I am using the postw30 log to track my meals and also plan ahead and think about what events are coming in the near future. For example, I knew treat day would be yesterday at work with lots of pumpkin goodies so what did I plan? Bringing pumpkin soup with lunch so I didn't feel like i. was missing out. I was also to mentally prepare myself with "none of those foods are truly worth it." AND it would have been food without brakes (Chex mix anyone?)

Now this weekend on the other hand I have planned to eat a chicken enchilada for my sisters birthday dinner because I won't binge on them (1 fills me up) but I will pass on ice cream cake because it isn't worth the sugar crash to me.

The w30 process has made me AWARE of food choices and what is or is not worth it for me to eat.

I hear you.

I have had two successful W30s and several start-stops. During the 30 days of compliance, I would be counting down the days, like a prison sentence. "Only 4 more days and then I can ...." Even after re-introductions, I had my eye on the finish line and not the process. For this reason, I don't see a tremendous benefit in another W30 for me. But I do know I need to get a lot closer to the W30 compliance end of the nutrition spectrum.

I do well at home and even dining out; work is my big challenge. I've decided that I need to keep a log to help me stay in touch with the reasons I did the W30s in the first place and as a reminder of why I need to develop and stick to "My Nutrition Plan."

For me, it's about staying with the food template. That helps me plan my shopping and my meals for the week. Then when I have other choices in front of me, well, that's what they become - choices. Keeps me feeling like I'm in control, rather than food controlling me. Hope it's going better for you mmarmstrong.

Archived