Out of the Rut and into the Groove

Rebe_J

After long consideration, I've decided I need some accountability. I've had two successful W30s and the benefits are weill worth the effort. But.....the benefits have faded as I tend to ride my own bike into the ditch at times.

At home, DH and I follow the meal template with occasional splurges that are "worth it." In spite of that, I have settled into a routine that is close to a rut, so I'm looking to add something new to the recipe repertoire every week.

I struggle at work--even when I take my own food for lunch. Too often I allow myself to be ambushed by sweets... I need to fix that.

Yesterday's meals:

M1: three eggs fried in coconut oil on top of  beef hash (ground beef w/onions & mushrooms and Brussels sprouts roasted with bacon). Home grown tomato slices on the side. Coffee.

M2: deli meat slices (not W30 compliant); vegetables from the backyard garden: cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers; homemade ranch dressing, a small slice of honeydew melon.

M3: Fried Chicken Meatballs (Mel Joulwan), baked sweet potato with ghee, more sliced tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden, a small slice of melon.

Yesterday's cooking:

Egg Pie (my name for breakfast casserole)--with ground beef, onions, bell peppers, kale, potato, mushrooms and Italian seasoning.

Washing and prepping vegetables from the back yard garden: tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers.

Fried Chicken Meatballs

Notes:

I had clipped the recipe for Fried Chicken Meatballs from the WellFed newsletter, and misplaced it during a recent computer meltdown. I found it yesterday and decided to give it a try. It has a very good flavor, but I'm not inclined to grind chicken every time I want to make it. I will try it with nugget-size pieces of chicken breast or thigh.

I had also planned to make my Paleo Brownies for DH, but realized I was out of almond meal. It's sugar/grain/dairy-free, but it is definitely SWYPO.  I'll finish it today, after my dentist appointment and some shopping.

Cookup plan for later today:

Pressure cooker:

Kalua Pig with cabbage.(NomNomPaleo)

Steam baked potatoes and sweet potatoes

Kale & Carrots (NomNompaleo)

Applesauce

Oven:

Roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon

Meatballs (Well Fed2)

Spaghetti squash

Other:

Mayo

Ghee

Salad Dressing

Cinnamon Beef Stew (Well Fed)

I will probably amend the list laer...

My cookup day got a bit interrupted, so as I had expected, my list has been modified.I did finish the Paleo brownies for DH. I won't get around to the meatballs or the stew.

Today's Meals;

M1-Same as yesterday--beef and sprouts topped with eggs, sliced tomatoes.

M2-naked hot dogs, or as DH calls it: Steaming Dog Pile, assorted raw vegetables, ranch dressing.

M3-spaghetti squash with meat sauce.

My tomato and cucumber plants yielded quite a bit at today's picking. We'll be eating cukes fore a while. :D

My kitchen remodeling project is moving right along; I ordered the refrigerator today. It will be delivered next week after the floor is finished. Still some painting to do.

More notes on yesterday's cooking and stuff in general:

Kalua pig and cabbage in the pressure cooker. I love this; only 90 minutes instead of around the clock in a crockpot. It's so tasty, too. Even with the shorter cooking time, I started it a bit late in the evening. I'm not usually still cooking after 8pm.

Roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon. I make a pan every week so I can have them with my eggs for Meal 1.

Today, I have a few more things to do. I usually don't spread my cooking over all three days of my "weekend," but we've had some errands to do, mostly concerning the kitchen remodel. Plus it's DHs birthday and his mom (92) expects cake and ice cream. I'll splurge with a small serving, to keep the peace, then back to my clean eating. The challenge will be tomorrow at work.

I've yet to re-introduce exercise into my daily habit. I'm feeling fat and sluggish and stiff. No excuses...

I slipped and tried to post a recipe without permission. I guess I need to be more careful; I certainly didn't intend to infringe.

Back to work today.

Yesterday's meals:

M1: Last of the precooked ground beef with onion and mushrooms, B. sprouts, topped with fried eggs (coconut oil), sliced tomatoes.

M2: After a small slice of birthday cake and a small bit of ice cream, I wasn't hungry until early evening.

M3: Kalua Pig with cabbage, Kale & Carrots, small serving of chunky applesauce. (All items were made in the pressure cooker)

The cake was from a specialty bakery and it was very good--much better thanI could make myself. DH's birthday was officially celebrated with his elderly mother at her assisted living apartment.

I have my mind right to stay on my meal plan while at work. I'm taking enough food to be satifying and filling.

Today's plan:

M1: Breakfast casserole--beef, onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, kale, potato, on a bed of B sprouts with fried eggs, sliced tomatoes

M2: at work. Salad greens from the lunchroom salad bar, topped with turkey, bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, guacamole, and Ranch dressing from home.

M3: Spaghetti squash with meat sauce. Assorted vegetables from the garden: tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers w/ Ranch dressing

It's Monday already. The weeks fly by.

Yesterday was good in terms of sticking to my meal plan. I was tempted by treats at work, but I didn't indulge. I literally patted myself on the back for that. Weekends at work are especially hard.

M1- at my desk at work. I could get up at 3:30am but I don't want to. I have to be at work by 5:30am on Sundays and the first 30-40 minutes, I'm waiting on computer reports to run. It's a good time to eat; I'm alone and it's quiet. I had half a serving of breakfast casserole, half an apple with sunflower seed butter, and some cherry tomatoes and bell pepper slices.

M2-at work, in the employee lunchroom. I had the other half of the breakfast casserole, and more vegetables with ranch dressing.

M3-at home, watching football. Hot dogs, lots of garden vegetables with ranch dressing and a small serving of fresh pineapple.

Today:

M1-fried eggs on top of a hash of ground beef, B.sprouts, onions, mushrooms, kale, potato. Sliced tomatoes.

Planned:

M2- salad in the lunchroom at work. I brought deli meat and salad dressing, and home grown tomatoes and cucumbers

M3- kalua pig with cabbage, kale with carrots, olives, and a small serving of applesauce

Well....in spite of this phase of our kitchen remodel completely failing, I stayed true to my food plan yesterday.

The flooring guy called to say the installer was sick and unable to do our new floor. It would have been less of a problem if we hadn't already disconnected the gas range and moved it into the living room, along with the refrigerator, dining room table and chairs. Then, the plumber that was supposed to reconnect the gas line didn't show up. This morning, the range is still in the middle of the kitchen, but we'll get it working again today, and reschedule the floor guy.

M1: eggs, ham (non W30), B.sprouts, sliced tomatoes

M2: sliced turkey, vegetables, olives, mayo

M3: Kalua Pig, potato, vegetables, small slice of pineapple.

It doesn't look like a lot of food, but the servings were large. I didn't get hungry at all throughout the day, and it was very stressful.

WARNING!! Rant coming...

The kitchen remodel is turning into a big pain in the arse.

Yesterday, we were supposed to get our new vinyl flooring installed. We got up early to move furniture and to clear out the kitchen. We moved the refrigerator and range out, too. We had to disconnect the gas line; I had already arranged for a plumber to reconnect it later in the day.

At 8am, we were ready for the floor guys. At 8:15am the floor guy boss called to say one of his installers called in sick, and could be reschedule tomorrow? (Today). I said no, because on Friday the refrigerator was being delivered and installed. Also, I couldn't get a plumber out on Friday because it's a state holiday.

Anyway, we had to move the refrigerator back, but we were stuck about the range. A certified plumber is supposed to reconnect the gas line. DH decided he could do it good enough for now, so that's what we did. It was a motherbear to get the range back into its spot. Our new cabinets make for a tight fit.

So, today we had the refrigerator coming sometime between 4pm and 6pm. The delivery truck pulled up at about 4:15pm. Perfect. The guys came in and measured everything to be sure the new, bigger fridge would fit. I asked if they remembered that the door had to open on the left side. Yes, it was something they had to "build on site."

Well, the door had a hitch in its hinge. The door jerks as it opens...to the point that it is unacceptable. The delivery man said that it's common in that refrigerator, and that I need to call the retailer and have them exchange it. Hopefully the next one won't have defective hinges.

Perfect....

I'd just like one thing to go right....

I couldn't find the button to edit my last post. After a good night's sleep, I realized I'm upset over a few First World Problems. I'm very grateful for all the things that go right and it would behoove me to remember them more often.

Here we go again.

Some thoughts about my upcoming "weekend."

The flooring contractor is coming tomorrow. The refrigerator repair person is coming on Friday.

I'm not looking forward to moving heavy furniture and appliances again, but it will be worth it once the floor is installed and everything is back in place--permanently. I love my new kitchen cabinets and countertops. I have more storage and work space.

My eating habits are still in flux. One good day, then a lapse, then a good day, etc. The two hugely stressful days at work are now behind me.

I've started a list of reasons to stick to a W30-ish eating plan, and I'm adding to it daily occasionally.  It would be a good idea to start a similar list of reasons to exercise regularly. It would be a better idea to review them frequently. Maybe a tattoo... :mellow:

Today: meal planning, grocery shopping and some cooking. I have to plan on having no kitchen tomorrow, and possibly no range until Friday, when the gas line gets reconnected.

I'm getting my mind right for the busy day today, with the floor installers coming this morning. After breakfast we will unload the refrigerator and move it into the living room. Then disconnect the range and move it. Then the dining room furniture.

Yesterday was good. Shopping for groceries and some cooking. I tried a differente method for spaghetti squash. I cut it cross-wise and cooked it in the pressure cooker. The strands came out longer and more tender, but not mushy.

Other cooking: potatoes in the PC, kale * carrots in the PC, ground beef with onions and mushrooms, to use for breakfast or in pasta sauce. Breakfast casserole and a sugar, grain, dairy-free cake for DH.

Meals yesterday were based on the template, and good.

Thanks, Tina.

I woke up with a cold sore on my lip this morning. There's where the stress popped out. :D

Kitchen and dining room floor is finished. Not perfect, but at this point I'm ready to move on. I expected the floor guys to install the baseboards and toe kicks, but they insisted it wasn't their job. I didn't push it....

We did put a little scratch in the new floor when we moved the new refrigerator back into place. It's barely noticeable to me, and now we don't have to worry about the first scratch anymore.

I feel like I got a workout in today, too. All that lifting. Unloading the fridge, moving the fridge, re-loading the fridge, moving the range, moving the dining table and chairs, unloading and moving the bookcase. Then everything back. I'm ready to put my feet up.

Tomorrow we have a plumber coming to reconnect the range and a repair guy to fix or replace the wonky door on the fridge.

After a good night's sleep, I'm ready for today. Last night, I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the recent home improvement projects.

I'm feeling old and tired, and wishing I had chosen an easier project than a kitchen remodel as our first step in fixing up the house. We are neophytes at home ownership and its related chores. We have some skills but are sorely lacking practice.

Thankfully we have the resources to hire most of the work done. I'm finding, however, that many tradesmen have a lower level of pride in their workmanship than I expect. Right now the best are overbooked. Housing construction is starting to boom again and everyone is busy.

I'm thinking we need to just cowboy up and do more ourselves, even if it takes three times as long.

Meals were good yesterday, even with no kitchen for much of the day. I have a little more cooking to do today after the range gets hooked up. Then plan my lunches for my work week that begins tomorrow.

Random thoughts....

I've been browsing the forums here and I'm shaking my head wondering about some people.

It seems like some want to join the W30 party and have no clue why. Or what to expect. Or where to start. Or they think the 30 days is a weight loss plan, then on day 31 they can go back to "regular" eating.

Then there's the ones who want to "personalize" their W30. "I can't give up cream in my coffee." or "I need my protein powder."

There's the Letter of the Law and then there's the Spirit of the Law. That big bowl of cashews might fit the Letter, but they are not in the Spirit.

I have been as guilty as anyone of this...as I think about the LARA Bars in the cupboard, and the jar of sunflower seed butter in the fridge. I know some people need to ease into the big changes brought by a W30. Others do better with the full immersion method.

Our New Normal.

It's been over three years since we did our first W30 and now most meals fit the template without a lot of thought. We still slip into old eating patterns when traveling and I am constantly challenged at work. We get it right most of the time.

Following a nutrition plan is a practice like strength training or yoga. Consistency and progression are key.

Another instance of me shaking my head in wonder about what some people say about their W30.

"I'm at day 14 and I haven't lost any weight!!!!"

People!. It's not a weight loss program. If it was, it would be for a lot longer than 30 days! Thirty days doesn't cure or fix anything. It may not be long enough for some people (me) to really understand how and why to eat for good health.

It's like Dan John says about weight loss plans. "Everything works. For 6 weeks."

It's Firday again already. I feel like I can finally take a breath and relax a bit.

The kitchen project is close to being finished. All that's left are the backsplash and painting....and rugs, of course. Oh, yeah, and baseboards.

I love my new kitchen. I have a lot more counter space and storage space. The cabinet guy came yesterday and installed the toe kicks around the cabinets. It looks really good. The new refrigerator is so big, it's out of proportion with the rest of the kitchen, but I prefer function over form in this case.

Food: I've been fairly good. I had a sandwich yesterday with my friend while we were out shopping for Christmas craft supplies.

It's the same song and dance. At home, I stick closely to the W30 template for meals, and splurges are planned.

Work is a different story.  I return to work tomorrow and I will go with every intention of staying on course. I will take my lunch, so there will be no excuse. It will take more than wishful thinking to succeed.

• 1 month later...

WooHoo! I was able to get to this page without a virus warning or connection reset. Last night, I was able to post from my iPad, but that is not my favorite way to type; I'd rather use it for reading.

It's more than a Rut I've been in for the past month (or more)--it's more like a black hole. I've been in a dark mood and my Give-a-Sh*t is seriously in need of repair.

More later.

Archived