Lunch out tomorrow at Mexican restaurant

MamaJ

So my bosses are buying lunch for everyone in the office tomorrow. It is typical Mexican fare. I was thinking I might be able to partake but need your advice.

The things I would put on my plate that I think are generally safe include:

-chicken and steak

-lettuce

-tomatoes

-onions

-pico de gallo

-guacamole

I was thinking I could make some sort of salad with that stuff. Do you think the meat is safe? I have no clue as to their cooking preparations, nor will I actually be at the restaurant. They just bring in huge trays of the food and we eat at the office. I want to partake (we are a small company, and I can totally bring my own food as some here are very sensitive with diet (severe allergies and the like)), but I would feel better about participating.

• Moderators

The only way to know whether the prepared foods are okay is to ask how they're prepared and if they include soy, sweeteners, or dairy. I'd ask about the meat, the pico, and the guac, just to be sure. If that's not an option, you could use their vegetables and bring your own stuff to supplement it. You might want to add some more dense vegetables to your salad anyway, just to ensure you're not hungry mid-afternoon.

Yeah, Mexican is tricky to get compliant. In addition to the information Shannon shared, you also need to ensure the the cooking oil for proteins and vegetables is compliant (nothing like rice bran oil, corn oil, peanut oil, etc.), and they don't use any gluten in their seasonings or marinades for the protein or veggies.

We had a our company buy us all pizza during my first (and failed) Whole30 attempt. It was weird not eating the pizza especially when my manager kept going around making sure that everyone had eaten pizza. I'm not one of those people who stands on the rooftop and declares that I am doing a Whole30 - I prefer to slide by unnoticed. This time around, I am on day 19 and last week we accomplished a huge task and our manager said she'd by us lunch one day. Since I was instrumental in getting this project finished - I requested that we wait another couple of weeks to have it so that I wouldn't be bound by restrictions lol Thankfully she agreed. It is VERY difficult to not participate in those types of meals. I hope that you're able to resist. I have to tell myself things like "Mexican food will exist on day 31 and I can have it then."

WholeAmy, what a great testimonial. Thank you so much for sharing. After praying and talking with my husband, I decided to abstain from the meal, which is happening today. I brought a fancy lunch (grilled chicken topped with sautéed veggies and avocado!) so I wouldn't feel "deprived." I, too, am not one to call attention to myself. My department knows I'm doing Whole30 but no one else here at work.

And I too thought to myself... Mexican food will be here again and the bosses will buy lunch again and then if I want to participate after, I can. It's one day. I can do one day. You have motivated me and inspired me to stick to my plan even more!!!

Archived