4-day weekend in Big Bear! How to cope...

Delaeden

Hey everyone!  I have a 4-day weekend trip coming up in a few weeks in Big Bear, CA.  It was a reward for doing well at my work, and I'll be sharing a house with other coworkers and our significant others.  This will fall smack-dab in the middle of my whole30, and I'm trying to figure out how I can enjoy this trip while sticking to my guns.

I think I can prepare some meals at the house, since it's a house that we're renting.  But I'm not entirely sure how well stocked the kitchen is with cooking gear (or if it's stocked at all!).  Also, I'm not sure if my coworkers would want to be included in the cooking or not, which if they were they'd have to buy their own ingredients.  Plus I don't want to spend all of my free time prepping meals, so I'd need fast and easy recipes (besides chicken breasts!)

I know that my fiance and coworkers will want to go out to eat, and that's going to be a bit scary for me, because I'm not sure how well I can trust the restaurants to have what I want, or cook my food in a particular way.  I'm debating if I should call up a few places and inquire before I even go up there, so I'm not stuck with nothing to eat.

Any other advice or ideas?  I see a lot of posts for single outings, but didn't see much for extended trips.

Yeah I was thinking about that... I figure I'll go for as long as I can and do my best, but if I can't make it work, then I'll just have to try again.  I wanted to do this before the holiday season really kicked in, be cause January just felt too far away!  At the very least I'm getting some good eating habits that can help make round 2 easier if I need to try again.

I have done this but it required taking a large cooler of fresh vegs (& compliant fats) and always being the chef/cook for the group.... or letting one of the guys BBQ while I looked after veggies. Most of the women were happy to help chop & prep as long as I gave direction, so that it wasn't all on my shoulders, but it did mean I was The Organizer. For cocktail hour I just did club soda with an olive or a lime wedge. All of which came out of The Magic Cooler. Restaurants are tricky too, but I just grab a spoonful of mayo before I go, drink a blended soup on the way, and order dry grilled steak with baked potato.

As Tom said, though, this is a tough one, and unless you are really determined, or these are extraordinarily supportive friends, it'll be a challenge. In my case, the group I was with were curious, and supportive (but otherwise ate chips & drank beer while they watched me shovelling in mountains of veggies. LOL!). All you can do is the best you can do under the circumstances.

There is another thread on here somewhere... wish I could find it for you.... that tells of another gal on a business trip for several days, and even with clearly defined instructions to the event organizer, and the hotel, she still subsisted on salads (in public) and sardines/cans of tuna + bottles of olives (in her room) for her entire trip.  

The big thing is... you won this, and it's a celebration, no matter how the food portion turns out. Enjoy your success!

Archived