After work...

I'm on day 12 and I'm ok with my food all day...until I'm on my way home and thinking about what I have for dinner. Nothing compliant sounds good.  Today all I wanted was a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup.  I haven't somersaulted off the wagon, but how do you deal with these feelings? Sometimes I'd rather just not eat than eat something compliant that doesn't even sound remotely palatable.  

Sometimes for me its what you first mentioned....the thinking process. Just thinking about having to go home, pull the pots and pans out, get everything prepped, cook it all, then of course clean up. So much easier to order in but dont do it! You made it almost half way! I find my crockpot to be my saving grace. I set everything up inside the crockpot the night before. Before I head out for work in the morning I turn it on. No temptations to uturn into the drive thru on the way home because all you have to do is lift the lid and eat! 

I'm going to make some compliant minestrone in my crock pot this weekend! I just want soup!

Even when I have compliant stuff in my fridge (I do meal prep and batch cook most weekends) the idea of going home and eating it makes me think I'd rather not.

My suggestion was going to be to see if you could find compliant foods that hit that cool weather feel that it sounds like you're craving. Namely, soup. You can totally make a compliant tomato soup. Squash soups right now would also be awesome. Nice thick puree soup, with some hearty savory chicken dish on the side. Sounds pretty autumny to me.

I found that leftovers were my savior. Always make as much as you can successfully make at one go. Store leftovers. When you're feeling no motivation on the way home, all you have to do is reheat something. It saved me a LOT of stress knowing that I could make dinner, or make leftovers and that I didn't have to worry either way.

I'm on day 12 and I'm ok with my food all day...until I'm on my way home and thinking about what I have for dinner. Nothing compliant sounds good.

One possible shift is to start thinking of food as more than just a tasty treat. I eat various things for various reasons, and most of the time they taste great to me, but tasting great is not my only criteria. Maybe thinking on the way home about what your body needs would help? Think about how you can nourish your body tonight, all the great nutrients you can provide, how the starchy veggies can support your mood and activity level, how the good fat can support your brain function. This doesn't mean food shouldn't or couldn't be yummy, or that yummy isn't a valid criteria. It is. It just isn't the only one.

I'm definitely trying to shift my thoughts of foods. I've already convinced myself that I am indeed not a dog and food shouldn't be a reward. I'm 13 days into changing 31 years of poor food relationships. It's going to take some time but I'm on my way! Thanks for the help!

I have found myself thinking along the lines of what missmary said about food as nourishment and what you said about food not being a reward. I've been going through a pretty stressful time at work and I swear what has gotten me through it is how I'm taking care of myself by eating well. Food is my fuel and eating healthfully is helping me keep my focus on my work. In the past, I've used food as a reward - a "I'm so ....(whatever it is I am: bummed, tired, frustrated - you fill in the blank) and I deserve something special. These days, I'm more inclined to think about how I need something nourishing so I can strongly keep on putting one foot in front of the other. It's a journey - sounds like you are on the right path!

• Moderators

Sometimes you just need some good, compliant comfort food.

Crockpot brisket or stew

Mashed cauliflower (microwaveable!) or if you feel like doing it up Nom Nom Paleo's Roasted Garlic Root Vegetable Mash

Velvety Butternut Squash from Well Fed cookbook (pair with a protein and some green veggies)

Roast chicken - no cooking required if you can find compliant one, Whole Foods carries them (add veggie sides)

Comfort "Noodles" and more from Well Fed/Melissa Joulwan: http://meljoulwan.com/2015/10/21/feed-cold-paleo-cold-remedies-recipes/

I think this is so phsycological.  It's the same thing with the way that none of my meals sound that appetizing on a Friday or Saturday night. We are so conditioned to think of food as a treat/reward for getting through a tough day or week.  It's a phsycological habit that we can break with time!

Archived