Need help cooking butternut squash.

Dee

I usually cut off the top (stem area) first, then slice the squash lengthwise. Use your cooking fat of choice (Kerrygold unsalted butter is delicious) to lightly oil the surface, then roast open side up for 30-40 minutes on 400F. You'll know when the squash is done when you can easily slide a fork into it.

Butternut squash has such a lovely, sweet flavor that I don't do much other than this to it. Sometimes I'll add chili powder along with the Kerrygold for a little oomph.

edited to mention: Kerrygold butter would not work during the Whole30, but coconut oil or clarified butter would also be great.

So Jamie Oliver says you can eat the skin but I tend to peal it with a potato peeler. It's great roasted in a bit of bacon grease. Or super easy just slice in in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and put it face down in a bit of olive oil and roast till soft, maybe 375 for 40 min. Then you can just scoop it out with a spoon.

• 11 months later...

Saw a recipe for sweet potato & butternut squash mash that sounded good, haven't tried it yet though. I think it was basically just equal parts of each, salt & pepper, and maybe some ghee or coconut milk for a creamier texture.

I have this veggie peeler. It makes life so easy for every vegetable so far.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Y-Peeler/dp/B00004OCIU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366138625&sr=8-2&keywords=wide+vegetable+peeler

It's perfect for butternut squash. I slice off stem and root ends. Then I peel it. After that it's simple. Cut in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds and fiber. Then I cut it into about 1 inch squares, toss with my liquid coconut oil (which I love btw), salt, pepper a little cayenne or cinnamon depending on my mood. Then I roast it for 20 minutes at 425F. A staple in my fridge. It's good hot, room temp and cold.

These easiest way to cook any type of squash is to place it on a cookie sheet/in a casserole dish whole. Bake at 375 or 400 for 60-120 minutes depending on what you are going to do with it. Use the shortest time if it is a smaller squash and you want to be able to easily slice and then roast it further. Use the longer time if it is a larger squash or you are just going to use it for puree.

When it's done let it cool enough to touch, then slice it open, scoop out the seeds, and use it like normal! Super easy.

Archived