Adult Bedwetting

AngelaM

Hi there,

My fiance is 23 years old and still wets the bed.  Sometimes it's a couple times a week, sometimes he goes a week or two without an incident.  When he was younger he went to the doctor for it, and the doctor told him it had something to do with his hormones.

Since one of the main points of the whole30 is about foods and how they affect your natural hormone levels, I'm wondering if the Whole30 could help him.  I know there's definitely no harm in trying, but he has no plans of doing it.  Now that I've thought of this maybe he will.  I'm hoping that people out there have stories of their successes with the whole30 curing their bedwetting, as I'm sure that would help.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter has had an issue with bed-wetting her whole life. We have tried different techniques but nothing has worked so far. I have done Whole30 twice and am a firm believer in the program. I'm wondering if she would be able to cure this problem by doing Whole30. Any info on success stories or advice on helping her problem would be very appreciated!

• 2 months later...

We are on a Family Whole 30 right now - Day 16! So far it seems that the problem has gotten worse. She used to wet the bed a few times a week and now it's every night. I'm really proud of her sticking with our Whole 30 but I know it is getting frustrating for her. I think I'm going to try essential oils. I read the cypress can help.

• Moderators

We are on a Family Whole 30 right now - Day 16! So far it seems that the problem has gotten worse. She used to wet the bed a few times a week and now it's every night. I'm really proud of her sticking with our Whole 30 but I know it is getting frustrating for her. I think I'm going to try essential oils. I read the cypress can help.

Stick it out... it could be that the added stress of a Whole30 (it CAN be hard and stressful... not sure how old your child is but there's a chance it's causing a stress reaction) is causing more significant bedwetting...

So far it seems that the problem has gotten worse.

My #1 thought is that she may be sensitive to salicylates, which can most definitely trigger bedwetting.

Salicylates are found in virtually ALL plants -- so, if she has dramatically increased her consumption of vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, spices, and oils like coconut and olive oils...  then you have also dramatically increased her consumption of salicylates.

Here is some quick info about this ~ along with a list of common symptoms:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salicylate_sensitivity

And here is a site with the salicylate content of foods, so you can try to stick to the lower-salicylate foods and see if it makes a difference:

http://salicylatesensitivity.com/about/food-guide/

I have a son who seems to be highly sensitive, unfortunately.  What's important to remember is that salicylate exposure has a cumulative effect.  This means that it builds up over time.  So a person who is sensitive can maybe handle small amounts here and there ~ but the large amounts consumed on a Whole 30 could begin to cause symptoms, or, as you are experiencing -- more frequent symptoms.

Archived