Day 0 First Whole30

Karen SK

I've been doing a lot of reading, prepping my kitchen and pantry, trying recipes... here I go.

I chose tomorrow to start because I've been traveling and will return tonight. During my trip I seem to be eating mostly from the "not allowed" list. I have followed other healthy eating plans before and felt great when I followed one similar to this. Emotional eating is a big issue for me. We recently moved after 22 years and lost a close family member so my eating has spiraled out of control. I'm looking forward to taming my sugar dragon but I know the days ahead will be challenging. I'm the only one in my household doing this but I do most of the shopping and cooking. They will eat what I prepare. I'm concerned about eating at restaurants but will cross that bridge when I need to.

Tomorrows plan: meal 1 on the go- hard boiled eggs, sausage patty that I made,carrot sticks, a few nuts

Meal 2- tuna salad with a green salad- I made a batch of mayo already. And an apple

I'll be home early to make dinner and have ingredients to make several options.

I hope to find support and inspiration here on the forums. I have already learned so much on them.

Ok. Day 3. Woke up with a headache. Not sure if it's due to body recalibration or reducing my caffeine intake. I felt better after my morning coffee with coconut milk and breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 slices compliant bacon and kale sautéed with garlic and the bacon fat. I did a long Zumba class and felt wiped afterwards. Maybe I should have listened to the advise to take it easy at the gym today. Oh well. Stocked up on groceries and getting ready to do some cooking. It's great to not feel so hungry. I would usually not go 5 hours until lunch but today it feels fine. No grains or simple carbs makes a difference.

Planning to make the salmon cakes for dinner. Not sure what veggies yet. I have ground turkey and I want to use it in some kind of egg casserole that's easy to take on the road for breakfast. I'll also make some tuna salad for tomorrow's lunch.

I'm looking for restaurant suggestions. We usually go out for dinner on the weekend. I'm thinking my best bet is someplace where I can ask for fish or chicken to be broiled with only olive oil. Plain baked potato and salad or steamed veggies. I may bring my own dressing or fat to complete the meal. What have you all done?

Thanks for posting.  I look forward to following your progress as I started a few days after you. I have not done a Whole 30 before but have done very similar eating plans in the past but similar to you have been eating off the list for a while. Great job for taking this first step! 

You're welcome kappygirl. I hope you're doing well.

Day 5 for me and I did have a dream last night that included eating a big sandwich with crusty bread. In my awake time I'm sticking with the plan. Breakfast was an egg with leftover chili and veggies from last nights dinner. I was out doing errands and was tempted to grab lunch somewhere but wasn't sure what would be compliant so... I came home. I made a protein salad ( tuna, egg, mayo with some chopped celery, carrots and scallion). Had that with lettuce and tomato. A benefit of eating this way is I'm not getting the hungry horrors.

I'm glad that the daily newsletter addressed eating out and social situations. We will probably go out for dinner tomorrow and I think I have a plan that will work. I'll keep you posted. I would love to hear how other newbies are doing...

• 2 weeks later...

Day 14. I haven't posted recently but I have not given up. I caught a cold this past week so I don't know if that's why I'm tired. I'm waiting for the tiger blood! The most difficult part of this is eating out. Despite making all my requests, sometimes I don't know if there's a non compliant ingredient. I suspect there is flour on things that shouldn't be there. Once all the meals arrive I don't want to send mine back and watch everyone else eat. It's easy to remove croutons from a salad but other things are harder. The rest of the world is not eating this way!

That being said, I didn't start this for any specific health reason so I'm not going to feel guilty about not starting at day 1 after eating out. I have been carefully reading labels and cooking up a storm. Eager to hear how other people are doing?

Archived