My Sugar Dragon

KathyV

I have come to realize that my sugar dragon is like having diabetes, there is no cure for it and it is only managed and controlled.  I have done a Whole 30 in the past and maintained that way of eating when I have complete control (going out to eat I am picky and bring my own salad dressing).  but today I was baking choc. chip cookies for the grand kids and I was strong though the mixing and the spooning, but when I removed one from the pan that gooey cookie broke in half.  I thought I was strong enough to just eat that one and let the other hot ones go........not the case!  I had 4 hot cookies in less than a minute(I'm pretty sure on the time frame) and right now, as I am typing this I feel like CRAP!  This is when the light-bulb moment went off in my head about it being like a disease with no cure!!

Has anybody else have to watch it as closely as I do?  

• Moderators

Has anybody else have to watch it as closely as I do?  

Yep.  There's no 'a little bit' for me... I'm an 'abstainer'. This article is very interesting and might resonate with you

https://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/

Another binge is not a cure for a food addiction.

No sugar is the cure for T2.  It takes true grit and avoiding huge rationalizations that even small amounts of treats and desserts are necessary.  Eating healthy whole foods is not deprivation mode. A life without T2 is so worth it.

Yep.  There's no 'a little bit' for me... I'm an 'abstainer'. This article is very interesting and might resonate with you

https://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/

Nice article, may need to order that book.  it's funny that it is only the cookies, cake ect. that I bake i tend to go after.  the store bought cookies you can have those ( some store bought, bakery bought cake I should not be left alone with).

• Moderators

Nice article, may need to order that book.  it's funny that it is only the cookies, cake ect. that I bake i tend to go after.  the store bought cookies you can have those ( some store bought, bakery bought cake I should not be left alone with).

That's actually good! That means that if you're going to feed your sugar dragon, you have to put effort in (such as baking).  Not that it makes feeding him any better but at least you're not tempted to go to the grocery store and buy a bag of Oreos and eat them all before you get home... you have some hoops you have to jump through first, which probably helps!

I liked the article because I think the noisiest people in conversations about food are moderator types.  They don't understand how 'strict avoidance' can be anything but a temporary bandaid followed by jumping headfirst off the wagon into the very food you're avoiding.  In general, it feels to me personally that it's not generally accepted in a group of people to say 'I can't have even a taste of cake/cookie/ice cream because it leads to binging. No woman especially is going to admit that in polite company, so it did feel, for me, until I read the article, that my ability to moderate my consumption was somehow broken and a part of myself to keep hidden... it's nice to know there are more like me out there and also to be able to say to myself when I want a spoonful of ice cream that we both (me and myself) know that I am not a person who CAN have a little bit...

Halloween is coming up.  I won't be buying candy.  No more sifting through the loot for favorite pieces and no more running to the store for 50% leftovers.   I will not be enabling the lil goblins.  Nuh huh.  nite-mare-smiley.gif?1292867643

I may hand out toothpaste and dental floss.   I really have very few to buy for. 

That feeling you describe... That moment with the cookies -- is truly out of control. All rational thought temporarily leaves in the presence of sugar.

REALIZING it is a very important step.

The next step happens day by day, temptation by temptation. You face down the cookie and you make a choice. It IS a choice. You don't say you "can't" -- because of course you CAN. But, if you are wise, you will CHOOSE to feel good and in control instead.

You may also reach a point where you choose to make less baked goods for the kids and do other things instead. This has been the case at my house, for sure. Not because I "can't" control myself -- but because the reality is that my kids don't need it, either.

Halloween is coming up.  I won't be buying candy.  No more sifting through the loot for favorite pieces and no more running to the store for 50% leftovers.   I will not be enabling the lil goblins.  Nuh huh.  nite-mare-smiley.gif?1292867643

I may hand out toothpaste and dental floss.   I really have very few to buy for. 

I love it( being a Hygienist)  hopefully you do not get toilet paper on your trees/house for handing out toothpaste and floss....you forgot to add the brushes!!

I love it( being a Hygienist)  hopefully you do not get toilet paper on your trees/house for handing out toothpaste and floss....you forgot to add the brushes!!

Great idea.  Nah.  They'd need a bucket truck and a safety harness to paper the trees.  My dog would tell on 'em.  hexer-smiley.gif?1292867615Maybe some coconut oil for oil pulling.cauldron-smiley.gif?1292867565 I could hand out some toasty socks for the winter.  My cousin told me she had 35 lbs of candy at her house.  Uh huh.   Prolly be more like 25lbs hall-candy1-smiley.gif?1292867612left when Halloween rolls around. 

I have Halloween stickers, and some chintzy decorations, plus ghoulish makeup  & fingernail stickers to hand out. And a couple of books for the kids next door. The nice thing is I can save it for next year if there are leftovers.

Great idea.  Nah.  They'd need a bucket truck and a safety harness to paper the trees.  My dog would tell on 'em.  hexer-smiley.gif?1292867615Maybe some coconut oil for oil pulling.cauldron-smiley.gif?1292867565 I could hand out some toasty socks for the winter.  My cousin told me she had 35 lbs of candy at her house.  Uh huh.   Prolly be more like 25lbs hall-candy1-smiley.gif?1292867612left when Halloween rolls around. 

Those ideas are your great Witch-laugh moments.  Don't take having a dog to deter anger kids they could just throw the dog a bone!  I had, my now husband, put an out-.  house with toilet paper all over it and our trees.  Had to say, nice job  looked very attractive in our front yard with toilet paper hanging from our trees.  I know this has nothing to do with Whole 30, but it was fun sharing.

KathyV I had the same exact thing happen to me on Sunday.  I had been so good about not having sugar, then BAM, I decided it would a good idea to do some baking for a bake sale at school.  I thought that one little bit of a Snickerdoodle cookie or Magic Bar wouldn't hurt, WRONG!  I made myself sick eating that stuff.  My husband kept telling me not to do it, should have listened.  Obviously I can't have any sweets, even in moderation because I just can't stop once I start.

Archived