Whole30 Number Three -- Without Kitchen

GlennR

DAY 00 -

Starting my third Whole30 tomorrow. To add to this round's difficulty level, I actually don't have easy access to a kitchen right now. I moved out of my apartment in mid-September and am now living in the downstairs space of a couple of friends that has a fridge and a microwave -- and not much else. So I've been doing big cook-ups at my mother's house maybe three times a week to make my meals for the rest of the week. I've still been eating according to the Whole30 template about two-thirds of the time, but sugar and starch have established a foothold in my diet (soda, candy, crackers). Therefore this third go-around, so I can kick them to the curb once again.

I'll be logging my meals, and also some daily habits I want to keep. I plan to walk at least 20 minutes each day, meditate at least 20 minutes each day, and sleep at least 8 hours each night, and this journal will help me monitor these resolutions and keep me accountable.

Also, I thought it might be a useful to take notes of my thrice weekly cook-ups, just to show how I'm doing it. Of necessity, the meals are going to be simple and repetitive -- but that's okay. It'll be boring, but the point is to get back on track.

And lastly, my sister is doing this with me. Finally a member of my family is taking the plunge. Go, Rachel! 

Oct. 26 Cook-up Notes:

I'm not starting from zero since I'm already in the swing of prepping food for days and weeks in advance. In my fridge and freezer are already some protein sources and makings of meals that just need thawing and heating as may be needed. These include:

2 containers of frozen creamy zucchini soup (2 servings per container)

1 container of frozen creamy leek and potato soup (2-3 servings)

18 frozen prosciutto, kale, and egg muffins, plus 3 in the fridge

2 frozen slices of sausage and kale frittatas

4 frozen rolls of embotido (pork meatloaf), plus 1 in the fridge

2 servings of tapa (cured beef strips)

2 servings of scrambled eggs

2-3 servings of roasted green beans

1 serving of sautéed broccolini

1 big jar of atchara (pickled and fermented green papaya and other veggies)

And today's cook-up yielded:

4 boiled eggs

10 beef and mushroom sliders (plus 6 for my sister)

Fried plantains (3 plantains, making about 4 servings)

6 small purple yams, roasted

1 whole spatchcocked chicken with roasted veggies (potatoes, carrots, onions, celery)

(Plus I made more creamy leek and potato soup for my sister)

Okay, I think I'm ready.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been thinking about making a leek and potato soup. What recipe are you using?

Here you go:

Creamy Leek and Potato Soup

2 leeks, cleaned, trimmed, and sliced

1/2 small onion, chopped

2 medium-large potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch chunks

4 cups chicken stock

1/2 cup coconut milk

salt and pepper

2-3 tablespoons ghee

1. Sautee leeks and onions in ghee. Reduce heat and let simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring now and then to keep them from browning.

2. Add potatoes and stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring on the heat till the pot is roiling. 

3. Lower heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes.

4. Let cool for maybe 10 minutes. Add coconut milk.

5. Puree with stick blender still mostly smooth (I left a few lumps for texture). Adjust seasoning as necessary. Serve.

DAY 01 -

Breakfast: tapa, scrambled eggs, atchara, strawberries and blackberries drizzled with coconut milk, mug of coffee

Lunch: embotido, roast green beans, fried plantains

Dinner: beef and mushroom sliders (slathered with mayo), sautéed broccolini, small purple yam

Walk (min. 20 minutes): Yes

Meditation (min. 20 minutes): Yes

The withdrawal symptoms came quickly: a tightening of the head, neck, and chest, even my skin, as my body ached for sugar. Man, was I craving a can of coke throughout the day. At one point, the desire and fantasy of that first swig, that first mouthful of that effervescent, sour-sweet-cinnamony amber liquid on the tongue was so vivid I wondered what the heck I was doing this for.

DAY 02 -

Sleep (min. 8 hours): No

Breakfast: tapa, scrambled eggs, atchara, strawberries and blackberries drizzled with coconut milk, mug of coffee

Lunch: creamy leek and potato soup, shredded roast chicken

Mid-afternoon: mug of green tea, a handful of pecans

Dinner: roast chicken, roast green beans, fried plantains

Walk (min. 20 minutes): Yes

Meditation (min. 20 minutes): Yes

I slept early (for me) last night to get my 8 hours, but it took me a long time to fall asleep -- probably because I kept thinking I have to sleep now, I have to sleep now. And then what sleep I got was uneasy and fitful. At one point, I dreamed I picked up some pizza from the floor and began eating it happily, until I realized I had just broken my Whole30 regimen, which made me feel dismayed. Good thing it was just a dream. However, what all this meant was that while I was in bed for more than 8 hours, a good part of it wasn't in a state of slumber.

My lunch wasn't quite enough, so I was hungry mid-afternoon. Which I took care of with tea and nuts. Still experiencing a low-grade headache and other withdrawal pains; still craving something sweet. This time I had a hankering in the afternoon for a chocolate donut.

Oh, and my sister is doing well. Two days in and she's fine: no cravings, no carb flu, no adverse effects that she could see. In fact, she said she barely thought of food the first day. She hasn't even been missing her daily frappuccino! I'm happy for her, and I love her. But I hate her.

DAY 03 -

Sleep (min. 8 hours): No

Breakfast: prosciutto, kale, and egg muffins, small purple yam, strawberries and blackberries drizzled with coconut milk, mug of coffee

Lunch: creamy leek and potato soup, shredded roast chicken, boiled egg, small apple

Dinner: beef and mushroom sliders (slathered with mayo), roast green beans, fried plantains

Same problem with sleep: I went to bed on time, but took a long time to fall asleep, and then it was uneasy. Had vivid, convoluted dreams about superheroes, and at one point I lay in bed seemingly hyperaware of every ache, tension, quiver in my body. Hoping this settles down once I get over the withdrawal jitters.

Speaking of which things were pretty much the same. This time I was craving cheese crackers. I actually think this third one is turning out to be a little harder than the previous two.

DAY 04 -

Breakfast: prosciutto, kale, and egg muffins, small purple yam, raspberries and blackberries drizzled with coconut milk, mug of coffee

Lunch: beef and mushroom sliders (slathered with mayo), roast veggies (potatoes, carrots, onions, celery)

Dinner: embotido, roast broccoli, fried plantains

Oct. 30 Mini Cook-up Notes:

Roasted a big batch of broccoli and fried several plantains (sliced)

Okay, so last night I fell asleep quickly, but then woke up well short of 8 hours -- maybe 6 1/2 or 7 hours -- and couldn't get back to sleep again. Still working through cravings, though these may be subsiding. 

I think part of the reason this is a little harder than before is that I may be starting from a little further back. During my first Whole30, I had been Paleo for a year and half and had already drastically reduced my sugar intake. (And it was just happier, since I was trying something new, cooking new food, experiencing this for the first time.) The second time, I was comfortably living the Whole30ish life, and just needed to re-set after some holiday indulgences. This time around, I am coming from a 2-3 cans of coke a day + crackers + candy habit that had somehow sneaked in during a stress-filled couple of months. So I may just be slogging through thicker mud.

Just goes to show how easily one can backslide despite having been so "good" for so long. Not that I'm really worried. I'm still going to get this done.

DAY 05 -

Breakfast: prosciutto, kale, and egg muffins, small purple yam, raspberries and blackberries drizzled with coconut milk, mug of coffee

Lunch: beef and mushroom sliders (slathered with mayo), roast broccoli, fried plantains, mug of coffee

Dinner: creamy dill salmon, roast asparagus, balsamic slaw (shredded broccoli stems, carrots, and red cabbage, with raisins)

Oct. 31 Cook-up Notes:

Big batch of Russian salad (diced potatoes, carrots, beets, and apple; shredded chicken and raisins; mixed with mayo) -- for me and other family members

4 baked salmon filets

Roast asparagus

Several servings of Breakfast of Titans (smoked salmon, egg, and spinach scramble)

Slept late last night (caught up with some TV shows), but woke up at about the usual time this morning -- so far short of 8 hours. 

DAY 06 -

Sleep (min. 8 hours): Yes

Breakfast: Breakfast of Titans (smoked salmon, egg, and spinach scramble), fried plantains, mug of coffee

Lunch: Russian salad (diced potatoes, carrots, beets, and apple; shredded chicken and raisins; mixed with mayo), hard boiled egg, mug of coffee

Late Afternoon: handful of mac nuts

Dinner: baked salmon, roast asparagus, roast broccoli, fried plantains, raspberries and blackberries drizzled with coconut milk

Finally, a night with a full 8 hours of sleep -- probably because I was short the night before. Today was an extra hour long -- end of Daylight Savings Time -- so let's see if that will help me have another full night's sleep. 

Cravings getting under control.

DAY 07 -

Breakfast: Breakfast of Titans (smoked salmon, egg, and spinach scramble), fried plantains, mug of coffee

Noon-ish: mug of coffee

Lunch: Russian salad (diced potatoes, carrots, beets, and apple; shredded chicken and raisins; mixed with mayo), hard boiled egg

Dinner: asparagus soup, carnitas, roast broccoli, Russian salad

Nov. 2 Cook-up Notes:

Well Fed's carnitas (half for this week, froze half)

asparagus soup (one serving for tonight, froze two)

3 boiled eggs

Woke up much earlier than usual (to the sound of welcome rain), so again, far short of 8 hours. This is strange. During my first Whole30, one effect was that I really slept soundly with the removal of sugar and (afternoon) caffeine highs. What's different this time? The different surroundings? Higher stress?

Minimal cravings. My stomach has been gassy, and also rumbling occasionally the past several days, sometimes due to hunger, but more often benignly -- as if my gut was re-adjusting itself.

DAY 08 -

Breakfast: Breakfast of Titans (smoked salmon, egg, and spinach scramble), small purple yam, raspberries and blackberries drizzled with coconut milk, mug of coffee

Lunch: embotido, Russian salad (diced potatoes, carrots, beets, and apple; shredded chicken and raisins; mixed with mayo)

Early Evening: handful of mac nuts

Dinner: zucchini soup, baked salmon soup, atchara, raspberries and blackberries drizzled with coconut milk

Fell just short of the full 8. Cravings returned, especially in the afternoon and early evening. And I know they were cravings because I could feel that I was full -- and yet my body kept wanting something else, something more.

DAY 09 -

Breakfast: prosciutto, kale, and egg muffins, small purple yam, strawberries and blackberries drizzled with coconut milk, mug of coffee

Lunch: Russian salad (diced potatoes, carrots, beets, and apple; shredded chicken and raisins; mixed with mayo), hard boiled egg

Dinner: zucchini soup with shredded carnitas, small apple

Nov. 4 Mini Cook-up Notes:

Several servings of Breakfast of Titans (smoked salmon, egg, and spinach scramble)

Roasted green beans

DAY 10 -

Breakfast: Breakfast of Titans (smoked salmon, egg, and spinach scramble), roast broccoli, strawberries and blackberries drizzled with coconut milk, mug of coffee

Early Evening: handful of mac nuts

Dinner: carnitas, balsamic slaw (shredded broccoli stems, carrots, and red cabbage, with pecans and raisins), roast green beans, strawberries and blackberries drizzled with coconut milk

DAY 11 -

Breakfast: Breakfast of Titans (smoked salmon, egg, and spinach scramble), roast green beans, strawberries and blackberries drizzled with coconut milk, mug of coffee

Lunch: prosciutto, kale, and egg muffins, Russian salad (diced potatoes, carrots, beets, and apple; shredded chicken and raisins; mixed with mayo), mug of coffee

Dinner: carnitas, balsamic slaw (shredded broccoli stems, carrots, and red cabbage, with pecans and raisins), strawberries and blackberries drizzled with coconut milk

Fruit with every meal?

Sure, at least the past few days. The fruits in the Russian salad are very minimal -- just a bite or two per serving -- and they're part of the ingredients. And the portions of the berry servings are small -- less than a fist (I measure). Part of is because, when I buy a box of berries, I need to eat them before they turn bad, so I've been eating them twice a day.

And honestly, that's one Whole30 rule that I don't wholly agree with. Not that I'll go crazy with fruit, since I do want the majority of my food to be more nutrient dense. As you can see, my approach has been thought-out and measured. But I think fruit is okay even for every meal, particularly as a palate cleanser.

I don't think unless you are having any problems there's an issue with fruit at every meal. Especially if you are only having half a serving! It's not the recommendation but its also not disallowed with the rules.

I applaud your ability to stick with the pgoram despite not being able to cook!

DAY 12 -

Breakfast: Breakfast of Titans (smoked salmon, egg, and spinach scramble), roast green beans, strawberries and blackberries drizzled with coconut milk, mug of coffee

Very Late Lunch: beef and mushroom sliders (slathered with tartar sauce), roast green beans, raw carrot sticks

Dinner: broccoli soup, frittata (eggs, Andouille sausage, broccoli, mushrooms, onions, black olives)

Nov. 7 Cook-up Notes:

Made:

24 egg muffins (eggs, Andouille sausage, broccoli, mushrooms, onions, black olives) -- 9 for this week, 15 for freezing

several servings of frittata (same ingredients as above -- I had extra "fillings" from the egg muffins, so I put them in a pan and made a frittata)

fried chicken thighs (3-4 servings)

kale and sweet potato hash (maybe 6 servings)

fried potatoes (2 servings)

creamy broccoli soup (had a little bit of leftover broccoli, so used it for soup)

Energy is leveling off and becoming steady as the good fuel kicks in. Still not able to get the full 8 hours of sleep, though; I keep waking up too early (or sometimes going to bed too late).

Tomorrow, my sister and I are cooking dinner for a family gathering at my mother's home. All Whole30, of course.

I don't think unless you are having any problems there's an issue with fruit at every meal. Especially if you are only having half a serving! It's not the recommendation but its also not disallowed with the rules.

I applaud your ability to stick with the pgoram despite not being able to cook!

Just to clarify: I am able to use the kitchen in my mother's house to cook a few times a week.

DAY 13 -

Breakfast: egg muffins (eggs, Andouille sausage, broccoli, mushrooms, onions, black olives), fried potatoes, strawberries and blackberries drizzled with coconut milk, mug of coffee

Lunch: fried chicken thighs, roast green beans, balsamic slaw (shredded broccoli stems, carrots, and red cabbage, with pecans and raisins)

Early Evening: mug of coffee

Dinner: chocolate chili topped with onions and black olives, taro string fries, gambas (shrimp), grapes

Nov. 8 Cook-up Notes:

Family dinner at my Mom's, for which I and my sister cooked a Whole30 feast. She made roast chicken and gambas (shrimp). I made a big pot of Well Fed's chocolate chili and taro string fries. Went home with a couple extra servings of the chili and a small handful of the shrimp.

My sister Rachel is still on track, though experiencing food boredom and stress when she eats out with co-workers (it's been a challenge for her to figure out what she can eat). But she's fitting better into her clothes, we'll both be hitting the second week mark tomorrow.

Archived