Breakfast is so challenging for me!

angemc22

Today is day 2 for me!

I've had trouble eating breakfast with memories of arguing with my mom about not wanting to eat in second grade!

30 years later... Breakfast is hard and in this time I've become a huge smoothie addict.

I've prepared a few different types of yummy frittatas and egg "muffins" but I'm literally nauseous. I realize this is most likely linked to some hormonal imbalances as indicated in the Whole 30 book. However, How do I combat this? Since I'm a teacher, my window to eat is short in the morning.

I'd love suggestions or feedback from anyone who has a similar experience.

Thanks!

I haven't had a similar experience but I admire your dedication! My only suggestion is to make sure what you're eating is delicious. Second if you drink coffee or tea have that, as I always find those drinks pair well with breakfast. Coffee is good because if you add coconut milk its a serving of fat! Also don't sweat it if you can't finish your meal. I think over time you'll get used to it and it will be easier. Breakfast is yummy and one of my favorite meals.

• Moderators

You are on the right track... making an effort to eat breakfast. The most powerful thing we can do to correct our hormonal rhythms is to eat breakfast within an hour of waking. 

Breakfast is important enough to warrant getting up 15 minutes earlier to make it happen. I prepare a plate of fried eggs and cold sauerkraut in about 5 minutes, so 15 minutes gives me time to cook and eat without being in a hurry. You may not be ready for sauerkraut at breakfast, but it is important to eat protein, fat, and veggies somehow.

Avoid coffee or strong tea until after eating because caffeine is an appetite suppressant that can making eating harder. 

I really struggle with this, too - I just do not want to eat in the morning. I'm on day 13 now, and I'm only in the past few days getting to eating consistent breakfasts that aren't just W30 *compliant* but actually *recommended* in terms of ingredients. One thing I'm finding helpful is to come up with food that I can eat cold, particularly for the days that I'm very pressed for time. Personally, eggs are hard for me in the morning. I have better luck with things like chopped salads with veggies and chicken cold from the fridge. Or a few big scoop of leftover cooked ground turkey and half of a roasted sweet potato that's been microwaved a bit. This morning I had a pre-cooked sausage that I sizzled up in a pan for a few minutes on top of about half a cup of sweet potato hash. (Ideally I would have put some greens in there, but I only had enough for lunch, I need to restock tonight! I didn't add any more fat because it was a pretty rich pork sausage.) Remember, you don't have to eat "breakfast foods". What's your favorite quick lunch or dinner? Eat that.

This is so true. I never ever would have thought that eating chicken or steak for breakfast would be appealing, but now I think nothing of sitting down to a plate of leftover chicken, broccoli, and avocado for breakfast. 

Soup does sound like a good idea, as well.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

This summer I ate a lot of this for breakfast... its a soup but sort of a smoothie because its a cold soup :)  Just skip the honey and the goat cheese.  

Pair with some left over meat and you are all set - I often ate it with left over grilled chicken!

This time of year I eat ginger zucchini soup or Thai flavored pumpkin or zucchini soup.  Often for Meal 1 :)

Archived