prework out ideas - hate hardboiled eggs

Jschuster

Greetings all,

I am a little embarrassed to admit this, but I actually stopped working out when I started w30 (now on day 17) because I couldn't figure out the whole pre/post workout eating. 

So I have two things I need help with because I REALLY miss working out.

1. I hate hard boiled eggs.  I've tried.  I can't get around the sliminess of the white or the taste of the yolk.  I hoped it would change as I got into this, but it hasn't.  Some non-egg ideas to get a fat and a protein?

2.  I am not a morning person.  I never will be.  My problem is it is just me picking up the little one and getting her fed and put down after work.  By the time all that is done on a good day it is between 6:30 and 7.  That means I eat a pre-wo snack and then work out and I'm not eating supper until 9:30 or 10 at night!  Which is when I need to be getting into bed.  Does anyone have some clever ideas on how to schedule all of this differently? 

It also means literally the only things I will do at night is feed my toddler, eat a snack, workout, eat a snack, prepare food, eat a meal, clean the kitchen, go to bed.  This is not practical. 

Help? TIA!

• Moderators

Any fat and protein will work. Leftover meat plus a little mayo or avocado or a few olives. It doesn't have to be much.

Given your timing at night, though, have you considered having supper early enough that you eat supper sometime before your workout, maybe when you feed your daughter, skipping the pre-workout, and then having your post workout immediately after your workout? If that doesn't make you have supper way too early, it might be worth trying.

Pre-workout is less important, especially when you're working out when you've eaten in the last few hours. I wouldn't skip the post workout, especially if you are doing strength training or have really strenuous workouts.

That is a thought for eating before my workouts.  I guess I was concerned about eating a full meal and then trying to work out too soon afterward.  Can I just split my meals? 1/2 before and 1/2 after a workout? 

It is actually pretty hard to prepare a meal between the time when we get home and when I put my LO to bed.  She is young enough she requires near constant supervision.  Could I eat my meal as my post work out and just make sure it has plenty of starchy vegetables? 

• Moderators

You can eat your supper as your post-workout meal, but you will lose the benefit of a post-workout meal if you do. As a time management practice, you might take that loss, but eating lean protein immediately after a workout supports much faster muscle recovery than eating a meal that includes fat. 

You say you will never be a morning person. That is a personal choice that is unrelated to your body. If you follow the Whole30 protocol well, you will become more and more of a morning person because whether you are a morning or a night person is all about hormonal rhythms. 

Tom, I'm curious, when you say that being a morning person has to do with hormonal rhythms is that something that change naturally?  I have actually found that I further I get into this, the more energy I have later and later and I have actually had more difficulty getting up even at the same time I usually do. 

Hormone levels are a primary influence on sleep cycles, to be sure, but so are genetics and age and light exposure. There is substantial evidence that a percentage of people (I've heard estimates of around 10 to 20%) are genetically prone to being "night owls", and other factors minimally influence their non-normative (that is, deviant from the standard 24.1 hour sleep/wake) cycle. Some people will get more benefit out of dietary changes to improve waking and sleep cycles while others will get less or perhaps none at all.

• Moderators

Tom, I'm curious, when you say that being a morning person has to do with hormonal rhythms is that something that change naturally?  I have actually found that I further I get into this, the more energy I have later and later and I have actually had more difficulty getting up even at the same time I usually do. 

I suspect Tom may have been referencing the fact that if you make an effort to eat within an hour of waking, and couple that with good sleep hygiene, you will more than likely find yourself waking earlier and easier.

Archived